Advice: Buying New Bike

HeijoshinCool

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:
17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have an Aerox

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What year?

The only thing I can fault my 2020 Aerox is the smallish 4.6 l fuel tank. The 2021 model now have a 5.5 l tank.

Mine's the same year. I've never had an issue with the fuel capacity. By the time I need to refuel, I'm getting 'bum ache' anyway! The longest run I've done is 130kms. That's enough for 1 day.

My wife has a complaint though. The rear seat is rather high and she's not very tall. Bless 'er.

22 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

A number of years ago I traveled for three months in Italy. Bought a Ducati crotch rocket and after touring, they shipped it back to the States. Good memories along with a fair share of risk taking.

Those days are gone. Scooting a mile to the beach and a mile to the fresh market adds up to about 1500 miles a year max. And frankly, it's a lot more fun on a scooter.

Nor do I wish to draw attention to myself, nor appear to convey to my neighbors that I am rich and better than them.

Why not have both?

99% of the big bikers I know here in LOS have both a scooter for errands and a big bike (or more) for trips/fun.

Big bike riding is a life style hobby for many including myself, riding with several bike groups out of Pattaya on day trips and sometimes touring trips of longer duration. The comradeship you get is invaluable, you might meet up for lunch with some of them sometimes for a chat.   

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

To avoid spillage, they usually only top it up with 100 baht of fuel. Would be nice to have a 8-10 l tank, so you could fuel for 200 baht.

it is why I do like the X-max as it has a 13L tank, and does last when I decide to use it for my daily drives instead of the car.

30 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Automatic bike have contributed greatly to accidents for most never rode a bike before. Get the newbies off the road. 

And how do newbies cease to become Newbies ?

With experience - we were all newbies once.

And how do you get experience ?

Ride.

Your comment makes zero sense

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

it is why I do like the X-max as it has a 13L tank, and does last when I decide to use it for my daily drives instead of the car.

That is a very nice bike, but you are also a very experienced driver.

The X-max is more like a real motorcycle than a scooter. 

Could be my next bike one I have more experience on the Aerox.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Ride.

We actually had a motorcycle and drivers license in our home country, many years before coming here. Obviously, you didn't.

Edited by inThailand

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

We actually had a motorcycle and drivers license in our home country, many years before coming here. Obviously, you didn't.

1963 my UK DL but riding since 5 years old. 

Driving a car since 14year passed test in 1965.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:56 AM, canthai55 said:

Ride.

Agreed….   

There are numerous facets to ‘experience’…

Firstly there is the mechanic experience of knowing how to control a bike, how to preload brakes, not snatch, how to corner, counter steer etc, not to object focus etc… that all takes practice.

Secondly there is ‘Thai experience’; having a genuine understanding of the unpredictable and irrational behavior that can unfold around you. That takes time on the Thai roads. 

Then there is the Dunning Kruger effect - knowing that we’re never that experienced in the first place and something can always go wrong. That 

For many, they are riding a bike for the first time in Thailand & usually without training.

It’s definitely a case of ‘in at the deep end’.. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed….   

There are numerous facets to ‘experience’…

Firstly there is the mechanic experience of knowing how to control a bike, how to preload brakes, not snatch, how to corner, counter steer etc, not to object focus etc… that all takes practice.

Secondly there is ‘Thai experience’; having a genuine understanding of the unpredictable and irrational behavior that can unfold around you. That takes time on the Thai roads. 

Then there is the Dunning Kruger effect - knowing that we’re never that experienced in the first place and something can always go wrong. That 

For many, they are riding a bike for the first time in Thailand & usually without training.

It’s definitely a case of ‘in at the deep end’.. 

It's also about knowing that no matter what you never know when you might be going down. There are those that have never gone down,are going down and have gone down. Never met a serious rider or operator in my time here in Thailand or in the states that had not been down at least once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I was down many a time when young on a scooter never on a motorcycle but had some scary moments on road and track, always found it much better riding a bike in Thailand than UK and Europe, where I've been all over in Thailand it's been great.

Wouldn't want to ride in Bangkok cannot make space I avoid it always when planning trips. 

I’ve not gone down yet….  & the only reason I won’t today is that I’m not riding !!

Riding outside of Bkk is a lot better. 
‘Cannot make space’ is exactly the issue in Bkk, no one leaves enough room for emerge manoeuvring & when you try to someone jumps in that gap or blind spot. 

Other bikes in Bkk are an absolute nuisance, else where the other bikes & some car just do silly stuff like pulling out without looking. 

• Like 2

Rode my H1 off a 70 foot cliff - broke left leg in 3 places

Broke a stop sign with my back

T Boned 2 cars

Not counting the gravel rash, road rash, broken collar bone

Broke the shifter off with my foot on my Dyna getting side swiped by the worlds oldest Toyota pickup on the way to CNX

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1