Advice: Buying New Bike

HeijoshinCool

8 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

A number of years ago I traveled for three months in Italy. Bought a Ducati crotch rocket and after touring, they shipped it back to the States. Good memories along with a fair share of risk taking.

Those days are gone. Scooting a mile to the beach and a mile to the fresh market adds up to about 1500 miles a year max. And frankly, it's a lot more fun on a scooter.

Nor do I wish to draw attention to myself, nor appear to convey to my neighbors that I am rich and better than them.

You draw a point there although my bike is a 1993 model because it's a big bike they still think you're rich. 

Lucky enough one of our Thai neighbours has a S1000. ????

If a tea-leaf wants your scooter he'll get it.  No locking device will prevent it.  Best to be careful where you park it. If I'm ever parking in a strange place I try and find the security guard or head-honcho taxi driver, flick him 100B, take a photo, and no worries.

All the scooters are give or take the same as the other of equivalent cubic capacity.  It's a vegiemite/marmite question.  Pick the one that you think looks the coolest or fits your body size.

Registering in your area is generally a good idea for reasons stated by others.

If your scooter has the front brake linked to the back brake, unlink it.  The rider should decide how much front/rear brakes to apply. And learn/understand how to pre-load the front suspension when braking. I only use the rear brake for super-slow manoeuvering or controlled braking/skid in sand or gravel, otherwise it's useless.

Run your tires at the recommended PSI in the dry - don't let a Thai MC dude inflate it to 65+ PSI. You'll thank yourself when you really need to brake in a hurry.  Run them 3 or 4 PSI less in the wet - gives better grip (as much as the skinny crappy tires can give you better grip), but the lower PSI in the front is a godsend for braking in the wet, giving a much bigger footprint on the road.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

If your scooter has the front brake linked to the back brake, unlink it.  The rider should decide how much front/rear brakes to apply. And learn/understand how to pre-load the front suspension when braking. I only use the rear brake for super-slow manoeuvering or controlled braking/skid in sand or gravel, otherwise it's useless.

Run your tires at the recommended PSI in the dry - don't let a Thai MC dude inflate it to 65+ PSI. You'll thank yourself when you really need to brake in a hurry.  Run them 3 or 4 PSI less in the wet - gives better grip (as much as the skinny crappy tires can give you better grip), but the lower PSI in the front is a godsend for braking in the wet, giving a much bigger footprint on the road.

Agree with your tyre advice but not the braking advice. 

In an advanced motorcycle test you would fail for not using both brakes at the same time, separate use is for maneuvers only. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

So if I buy a bike in Issan with a residency affidavit, and transport it to a province down south, will the dealer there service it and honor the warranty?

Will the registration be a pain, or simply a matter of sliding a bottle of Jack across the counter?

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree with your tyre advice but not the braking advice. 

In an advanced motorcycle test you would fail for not using both brakes at the same time, separate use is for maneuvers only. 

I don't disagree with you, especially if the bike is a Harley or even a sportsbike with a pillion and it's just general cruising around. I guess I was really referring to situations whereby you REALLY want to peel of some speed in a hurry.

Every bike is different.  Every braking situation is different. Braking a Harley is different to braking a sportsbike or a scooter or a dirt bike.  The testers often require the text book responses irrespective of the bike or the situation. 

When you're braking at the end of the straight with your rear wheel in the air or barely on the track, the rear brake is useless and a hazard, even with a slipper clutch. Anybody who has raced knows how useless the rear brake is unless you need to use it to set up a slide, but slipper clutches have largely removed the need for that.  Nothing worse on an older race bike than hearing and feeling that jig-jig-jig sound as the braked rear wheel  (or even just slowed by engine braking) makes intermittent contact with the track and then you lose all ability to make full use of the front brake.

Even on a scooter, preloading the front suspension to maximise the effectiveness of the front brake makes  the rear brake largely worthless. In fact, if you're using the front brake correctly, the rear brake will lock up because you've transferred so much weight to the front. 

Sure, dawdling around at slow speed the rear brake is handy. But if I'm faced with the need to stop in a hurry, I ain't touching the rear brake.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Thats a little unfair.

It really depends on use etc. If its just a local runabout for errands and generally within a few km radius then the scooters are designed for it and a better choice. Using a big bike in those circumstances,whilst possible, would be a pain.

I recently returned to riding a bike and bought a 300cc but my use is not any of the above and is for fun and enjoyment of riding open roads and "twisties" through mountains.

Horses for courses.

Thats exactly why I bought my X-max.  A little out of the range monetarily though that the OP is looking at. a 300cc is about as big as one needs to get around in traffic here in Bangkok as hey are a wider bike and it can be hard to negotiate driving between cars.  I had a Click prior to this bike and it was a great bike around town.  The bigger bike like the Xmax does give comfort when riding outside of town, or even in town when traffic is lighter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

ABS isn't essential but a new rider should practice not grabbing the front brake and locking the front will. I reckon that's a major reason for newbie crashes, of course a dog will be blamed

I would have agreed with that until a few months ago. Then, whilst bowling down a country lane, a little old lady on a M/C plus trailer hung a U turn on me, right under my nose.

No time for calculating 'brake loading factors' and all that stuff that riders bang on about, I hauled on both levers as hard as I could and stopped in a dead straight line just inches from the rear of her trailer.

I have an Aerox and I'm very thankful that I paid the extra for the ABS version. You can practice emergency braking all you want, but without the adrenaline kicking in and fueling the 'fight or flight response' in you would never dare hits the brakes as hard as I did that day and I've no doubt that without ABS I would have run into her, or come off the bike.

I would now advocate that all new motorcycles be fitted with ABS just as is now required in India.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thats exactly why I bought my X-max.  A little out of the range monetarily though that the OP is looking at. a 300cc is about as big as one needs to get around in traffic here in Bangkok as hey are a wider bike and it can be hard to negotiate driving between cars.  I had a Click prior to this bike and it was a great bike around town.  The bigger bike like the Xmax does give comfort when riding outside of town, or even in town when traffic is lighter.

My Forza and PCX are the same width at the bar ends / mirrors.

Forza 10cm longer - hardly a concern

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I don't disagree with you, especially if the bike is a Harley or even a sportsbike with a pillion and it's just general cruising around. I guess I was really referring to situations whereby you REALLY want to peel of some speed in a hurry.

Every bike is different.  Every braking situation is different. Braking a Harley is different to braking a sportsbike or a scooter or a dirt bike.  The testers often require the text book responses irrespective of the bike or the situation. 

When you're braking at the end of the straight with your rear wheel in the air or barely on the track, the rear brake is useless and a hazard, even with a slipper clutch. Anybody who has raced knows how useless the rear brake is unless you need to use it to set up a slide, but slipper clutches have largely removed the need for that.  Nothing worse on an older race bike than hearing and feeling that jig-jig-jig sound as the braked rear wheel  (or even just slowed by engine braking) makes intermittent contact with the track and then you lose all ability to make full use of the front brake.

Even on a scooter, preloading the front suspension to maximise the effectiveness of the front brake makes  the rear brake largely worthless. In fact, if you're using the front brake correctly, the rear brake will lock up because you've transferred so much weight to the front. 

SuSre, dawdling around at slow speed the rear brake is handy. But if I'm faced with the need to stop in a hurry, I ain't touching the rear brake.

Well all can say is what you say doesn't relate to how I was taught at a race track. 

Let alone the road. 

Not what I taught people in UK either. 

Bad habits are not a good thing to get into. 

My wife wanted to surprise me and went out and bought me a new Aerox, it's nice looking and good size engine, but I'm tall and like to sit back while on my bike but with the Aerox's two tiered seat I can't stretch out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bbko said:

My wife wanted to surprise me and went out and bought me a new Aerox, it's nice looking and good size engine, but I'm tall and like to sit back while on my bike but with the Aerox's two tiered seat I can't stretch out.

People with the same problem often get a one tier seat made

On 9/12/2021 at 8:17 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

You can buy a 2 year burglar insurance from the dealer which I always did when buying a new scooter.

It's not a class A insurance but only cover for theft.

Honda or Yamaha, they are of equally good quality so get the one you like and feel comfortable on, but Honda's are bestseller in Thailand for unknown reasons. The 155cc scooters from Yamaha are faster than any Honda but nothing to worry about unless you are a boy racer. 

I have always had Hondas apart from once, I had a Fino, very reliable, but dreadful fuel consumption compared with any Honda.

On 9/12/2021 at 3:11 AM, actonion said:

Teenagers who live close to my home who have been arrested  many times for stealing bikes told  a police man who lives in our village they dont like  Honda PCX'S  because  they're too heavy  to lift  onto a pickup ...thats the way they steal the bikes , load them onto a pickup  and drive away seems to be less risky than playing with the ignition

I agree there!  Plus a heavy duty chain and big lock affixed to say a lamp post etc.

11 hours ago, canthai55 said:

People always compare bike - most auto scooter threads start with "How does --- compare with the PCX"

The reason - they always compare it to the best available model, not the worst.

Never been a fan of Click or any flat floor model - altho if I wore a dress I would look for one.

That's how I feel about PCX ers, 

14 hours ago, bbko said:

Would she buy me a bike as well .Pretty please .

• Haha 1