Advice: Buying New Bike

HeijoshinCool

Buying a new scooter in November, and have two questions:

1) Other than locking the handlebars, what device, reasonably priced and easy to carry/use, is a good theft deterrent?

2) Do I have to buy from a dealer in the same province as my residency?

Oh, what the heck, what is a TV thread without conflict? Let's have a 3rd question:

I want an automatic, not more than 65k baht.....

3) Which is better, Honda, or Yamaha? Why?

1. The most convenient way is theft insurance.

2. For foreigners the registration can usually only be done in the province where you live. So if the dealer is in another province it might be too much trouble for him to do this for you. You could of course do the registration yourself.

3. If buying new, Honda, higher resale value.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can buy a 2 year burglar insurance from the dealer which I always did when buying a new scooter.

It's not a class A insurance but only cover for theft.

Honda or Yamaha, they are of equally good quality so get the one you like and feel comfortable on, but Honda's are bestseller in Thailand for unknown reasons. The 155cc scooters from Yamaha are faster than any Honda but nothing to worry about unless you are a boy racer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

1) Other than locking the handlebars, what device, reasonably priced and easy to carry/use, is a good theft deterrent?

3) Which is better, Honda, or Yamaha? Why?

For convenience a disc lock with or without alarm. 

GPS tracker optional.

Personally I would buy a scoot private as there is a lot out there at a bargain.

Both as good as each other these days,  I would say you have more choice when its a Honda.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Buying a new scooter in November, and have two questions:

I3) Which is better, Honda, or Yamaha? Why?

1/ Cable and lock...gives you the chance to lock it to something that doesn't move. But this is only a deterrent, if they want it, it's gone

2/ No you don't (I've done it twice)...but it does make the paperwork easier, during and after.

3/ Honda or Yam? Which has the best aftersales service where your at? Are there comparable models from both at 65k? Honda usually has the higher resale value and is my personal choice...just because ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

You can buy a 2 year burglar insurance from the dealer which I always did when buying a new scooter.

It's not a class A insurance but only cover for theft.

When i bought my Click that theft insurance they try and sell you was 2k or buy the 1st class elsewhere for 4k and covers loads more incl accidents, theft, 3rd party

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I want an automatic, not more than 65k baht.....

3) Which is better

Depends to an extent on how far you want to travel.  Like Mr. Rabbit, above, I have a ZoomerX. Perfect for "zooming" around town. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When i bought my Click that theft insurance they try and sell you was 2k or buy the 1st class elsewhere for 4k and covers loads more incl accidents, theft, 3rd party

I think mine was 2k for for 2 years which is dirt cheap.

But yes class A is obviously much more comprehensive and I have it on my big bike and truck. 

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I got the 2020 Yahama Aerox. 5,200 km for 50,000 baht. 

155 cc,  ABS, keyless start. Drive like a dream. Can climb a 51% gradient with a 175 kg passenger load.

Thai post ship anywhere, so you can search online across the country. 

20210719_101031.thumb.jpg.c1b23eb0a396fcd8b2e0c0efcf08a489.jpg

What kind of condition does it arrive in if you mail it?!

7 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

What kind of condition does it arrive in if you mail it?!

Used with 5,200 km on the clock, I imagine !... 

Bikes are mailed all the time in Thailand - there are a couple of threads from people who have done so (also some webpages).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Our Honda click is 11 yrs old. If you dont really intend on ever selling it and you have the dealer support in your area I think one is as good as the other.

If you do see yourself changing, go with Honda, as others have said, higher resale value.

Deterrant wise, chain to a post etc as its less likely to get lifted (literally). Most are opportunist, if its targetted for a reason, not much will stop it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

ABS isn't essential but a new rider should practice not grabbing the front brake and locking the front will. I reckon that's a major reason for newbie crashes, of course a dog will be blamed

But how can you not grab the front brake, if holding an umbrella, baby, and look at my phone, said my neighbour.      :coffee1: 

• Haha 1