Foreigner criticized after taxi attack over 10 baht - claimed driver took a detour

webfact

6 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I also used to suspect taxi drivers for taking long routes and demanded from them exact change, but than i saw a post here in this forum, explaining how poorare taxi drivers in thailand are, and how the meter system makes them work so hard for so little.

it made me realise that it acctually does not pay the taxi driver to take longer routes, and

anyway the price is so cheap - around70-80baht for 30-40 minutes drive, and from that

day on wards i started leaving the small change as tip for the driver.

say the meter says 63 baht, and i pay 100 baht, i will take only 70 baht as change.

they deserve it.

Bangkok taxi fares are among the cheapest for a major city in the world. Most major cities fares for a short distance of 3 km ranged from 160B (Singapore) to 200B (HK). In Bangkok it is about 45 B for the same short distance. Taxi driving is tough and really don't pay well as the government keep fare reasonable for consumers while failing to keep up with increasing operating cost. The last fare revision is 7 years ago in 2014. Like you I always leave a small tip and they deserved it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Glad you appreciate it but it's so sad that you actually counted them.

I would not waste my time counting them , its posted at top of the page,

and your up to 28 ......all over 10 Baht and a Farang , yes he looks like Farang to me.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?   Are white-skinned, foreign Korean, Chinese or Japanese  farangs?  You didn't know that your guess was accurate before you saw the recently posted FB video!

I didn't guess, why would you say that? I clearly told you I followed the comment immediately above mine, this isn't a court of law so I didn't feel the need to refer back to the original evidence. My god dont you drone on.... 

I'm done now. Not following you down your pathetic little timewasting rabbit hole any further.... ????

8 hours ago, chuang said:

Mother of all cheapskates.... hi farang i hope you read this...

In the article it reports a Thai person saying : "Foreign men never pay the taxi fare". This maybe just bad reporting or incorrect translation. but I always pay my motorcycle  taxi the fare plus   50 percent tip. My Thai next door neighbor beats his wife every other night, but I don't assume  all Thai men to be the same. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for posting that!      The bloke with the black hair, grey shirt and black trousers, i.e. the one in the screenshot shown in the OP of whom you said had a white face and was, therefore, a farang, is the taxi driver!    Q.E.D.

No the whiter one is holding a bag so probably is  the customer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for posting that!      The bloke with the black hair, grey shirt and black trousers, i.e. the one in the screenshot shown in the OP of whom you said had a white face and was, therefore, a farang, is the taxi driver!    Q.E.D.

No the whiter one is holding a bag so probably is  the customer.

Yes, as I posted, the one with the black hair, grey shirt and black trousers  (i.e. the one in the screenshot shown in the OP of whom Speedhump said had a white face and was, therefore, a farang) is the taxi driver! 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreigner - a long term resident of Thailand who could speak Thai according to a witness - only paid 40 baht for a trip from Ekkamai to Phrakhanong.

A cheap, long-term resident who doesn't seem to remember the name, Troy Lee Pilkington.  There is no excuse for the Thai on Farang violence, but ignoring the reality can cost you your life - over freaking 10 THB?  And the Farang now has a bad reputation in the Thai community -  that isn't good.  And now it has become worse.  Somebody need to change the tune they are playing with the locals before it becomes downright unhealthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

This happened in chaing Mai years ago over 10 baht. The tuk tuk driver followed my date at the time into the bar and stood behind him for 10 mins waiting for his 10 extra baht. Then he  punched my date on the side of his, head. My date ripped  the <deleted> out of him and used him as a punching  ball around the bar. Like a good old western!

It took three people to pull him of of the tuk tuk driver.  I said to my date. Wow you can fight. He replied I don't go to the gym 5 times a week for nothing.  

And you are proud that someone was possibly hospitalized just because of 10 baht? 

I’m from the USA and tipping is a custom we have. Some may disagree with it and point out that companies should pay people in the service industry more, but it is what it is.

I always tip delivery drivers and taxis. If the trip is 35-60 Baht I give them 100 and tell them to keep it. If it’s a long-ish trip I usually tip between 80-100 Baht extra. Less than for $3 which is almost nothing to me, but for them, they really appreciate it. Have had Taxi drivers handle my luggage for me after the tip and Wai and smile.

With foodpanda I usually round it up or tip 60 - 80 Baht. If I order 235 Baht worth of food I give them 300 and tell them to keep it. If you order with foodpanda all the time you will sometimes get the same delivery rider. I have gotten the same rider a few times and they remembered me and were extremely polite, because I tipped them a good amount. 

I see the same barber every 1-2 months, haircut and shave and aftershave rub down, for 100 Baht. I give him 200 Baht because he does a great job and he remembers me.

Always take care of people in the service industry, the ones who handle your food, or a driver who is putting his and your life in his hands (accidents happen) or your regular Barber who will do an extra good job, when you tip them. 

It doesn’t cost you much and they really appreciate it, especially during this lockdown economy that took a lot of livelihoods away. It makes me feel good to help them out with some extra baht. That’s just the way Americans are; We tip for good service.???? ????????

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Taxi drivers often know the quickest way to go , rather than the shortest way to go , like avoiding traffic lights and traffic jams 

Yes but if trade is slow some drivers will take an obvious foreigner by an extended route. This padding of the journey is dishonest behavior and surely should be challenged, or at least commented on. However for 10 baht personally I would let it slide. 

Happened to me once when I took a taxi from Edinburgh train station. I was living and working  in the city at that time and was going back to my house. The driver really took a very long and indirect route doubling the fare over the norm for that journey. 

Probably doesn’t happen so much these days with the map apps on phones. 

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Taxi drivers often know the quickest way to go , rather than the shortest way to go , like avoiding traffic lights and traffic jams 

Sorry but we are talking about a Thai taxi driver and not somebody who works in London and has to study hard to pass tests to become a taxi driver. There are some good ones but some really don't have clue.

1 minute ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Sorry but we are talking about a Thai taxi driver and not somebody who works in London and has to study hard to pass tests to become a taxi driver. There are some good ones but some really don't have clue.

Yes, but taxi drivers who are familiar with the locality will know which places to avoid .

Like when I get a taxi to the bus station, they usually go the longer way , rather than the more direct way with three sets of traffic lights and risk being stuck there for ten minutes waiting for a green light