Foreigner criticized after taxi attack over 10 baht - claimed driver took a detour

webfact

3 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

The dispute was over an accusation of fare padding through a detour. My point was whatever the matter, resorting to a physical attack was shameful, a  point ignored by most of the usual suspects here who in general prefer to heap approbation on a stupid old farang. 

Where does it state that he was a "felang" ? 

All that was reported that he wasnt a Thai .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Not all taxi fares are legit. Sometimes they use the meter sometimes they don't.

There is no suggestion in the OP that the meter was not being used.

I use taxis every day and since the Covid restrictions over the last year or so I've not come across one single taxi driver that wouldn't use the meter, nor one who refused the destination regardless of weather or traffic.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Some people are just incredibly stupid and cheap. They seem to think they are superior and can do as they please. 10bt is nothing not worth the trouble. What the taxi driver did was wrong but foreigners like that will be in trouble when given enough time.

I seen guys like that too think they know best think everything is a scam and the Thais are the enemies. Utterly useless people still violence is a step too far. But its almost unavoidable if you behave like that.

I disagree, violence is not the answer but if the driver did deliberately take the long route  then maybe he will think twice of doing it again.

Zero sympathy from me.

Regardless whether it was 10bht or 100bht

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Why all the comments about his Thai ability; he is a long-term resident. 

It is the taxi driver's fault and kudos to the alleged foreigner for having a backbone. 

I refuse to pay taxi drivers that try to rip me off, has happened many times in the past and hasn't always ended up nicely but I have my integrity intact. 

Total loss of face if they are challenged trying to rip us off.  

I wonder if the ones that blame the alleged foreigner would do the same in their own country, or or is just the Thais they are scared of. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, arick said:

This happened in chaing Mai years ago over 10 baht. The tuk tuk driver followed my date at the time into the bar and stood behind him for 10 mins waiting for his 10 extra baht. Then he  punched my date on the side of his, head. My date ripped  the <deleted> out of him and used him as a punching  ball around the bar. Like a good old western!

It took three people to pull him of of the tuk tuk driver.  I said to my date. Wow you can fight. He replied I don't go to the gym 5 times a week for nothing.  

Was your date Thai?

5 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

I disagree, violence is not the answer but if the driver did deliberately take the long route  then maybe he will think twice of doing it again.

Zero sympathy from me.

Regardless whether it was 10bht or 100bht

Long route ? you do know that the difference between 40 an 50 bt is one or two ticks on the meter. It does not take much to make that difference. Not sure why one would start a fight over 10 bt as a foreigner with so little proof of being overcharged. 

I choose my battles 10 or 1000bt are not the same in my book. 

And in this case im sure its the farang that will think twice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Taxi drivers often know the quickest way to go , rather than the shortest way to go , like avoiding traffic lights and traffic jams 

Not always.....   about 50% of the time in my opinion. 

I know the area I live in extremely well, I’ve lived in Bangkok for over 20 years, I’ve driven in Bangkok for over 20 years, also ride a motorcycle. 

I know the best route to take at whichever time of day (as junctions change according to etc). 

Some taxi drivers who’ve been driving in my area may know the area as well as I. 

A lot of other Taxi drivers will know distant area’s of Bangkok better than I if its an area I rarely venture. 

Some taxi drivers take a disliking to the route I give them, sometimes they are thankful and I get some positive comments. Some taxi drivers are just d!cks and some are great. 

But, its never worth arguing over a small amount, but I will get out if the driver doesn’t want to take the route I want to go (if I’m in a hurry, if its only going to take a few extra mins, then its no big deal). 

Years ago I nearly missed a flight because I was silly enough to assume a taxi driver knew where he was going ! (we ended up somehow going south bound on the ChaengWattana expressway when we needed to be going north on the Don Muang toll way !)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

both parties disproportionately / emotionally moved by overly rigid “principle” and “face”. Disputed Amount Irrelevant. Farang should have Paid this demand. Driver should have walked away from dispute. 

I agree but where did it say that the foreigner is a 'farang'?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Years ago I nearly missed a flight because I was silly enough to assume a taxi driver knew where he was going ! (we ended up somehow going south bound on the ChaengWattana expressway when we needed to be going north on the Don Muang toll way !)

I got one new taxi driver who didn't know where Sukhumvit road was. 

One **** stopped his taxi on the elevated tollway and told my parent to get out unless they paid him an extra 2000 baht. Many are scum and probablt desperate because of the lack of tourists. 

They are not going to cause a fight over 10 baht, unless they have tried to rip someone off and they refused to pay. I really can't believe people blaming the alleged foreigner.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not always.....   about 50% of the time in my opinion. 

I know the area I live in extremely well, I’ve lived in Bangkok for over 20 years, I’ve driven in Bangkok for over 20 years, also ride a motorcycle. 

I know the best route to take at whichever time of day (as junctions change according to etc). 

Some taxi drivers who’ve been driving in my area may know the area as well as I. 

A lot of other Taxi drivers will know distant area’s of Bangkok better than I if its an area I rarely venture. 

Some taxi drivers take a disliking to the route I give them, sometimes they are thankful and I get some positive comments. Some taxi drivers are just d!cks and some are great. 

But, its never worth arguing over a small amount, but I will get out if the driver doesn’t want to take the route I want to go (if I’m in a hurry, if its only going to take a few extra mins, then its no big deal). 

There is a difference between a Taxi driver being unfamiliar with the area and not knowing the way and taking the longer  route that he knows , and a taxi driver deliberately going the long way just to bump the fare up .

Even taking a route that has three traffic lights along the journey could add an extra ten minutes to the journey , rather than talking a route with no traffic lights 

Wow , the Thai attacks the foreigner and all the wimps and headline blame the foreigner for not bending over and taking it because that what most of you would do , amazing 

lets put aside the bitching and moaning of who's right and who's wrong, does not matter if you're farang or thai, think before action, is my life worth 10baht.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Maybe it was the same taxi driver who refused to switch on the taximeter so I have to step out?

Maybe you don't know that since the Covid restrictions and the consequent lack of customers refusing to use the meter and risking losing the fare is very unlikely in Bangkok.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Maybe 10 baht was the the straw that broke the camel's back. May have been at the back end of a day that kept going wrong for him. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't think he'd bother with all the rigmarole.

Yes. Very true, sometimes it is not the event by the accumulation of events over a day that can just tip one over. But, in those circumstances holding off is the best strategy. I have discovered that GRAB private car (not taxi) and when really fraught the premium car service is well worth it. I used to begrudge the extra cost but have come to treasure having a really nice vehicle with a considerate driver rather than arriving at my destination utterly frazzled and out of sorts. So, I will hold off judgement about this chap - whether it is true that he has a reputation of meanness or whether that was a bit of journalistic license I will leave to the side. 

But I wholeheartedly agree that over such a trivial sum, when many Thai are at the end of their tether, is just a silly thing to do. No furlough scheme or social security benefits that amount to anything. I am more surprised that that they are still holding it together. But it is a distinctly a pressure cooker here that has in the past and can again explode, and for a long-term resident such as this chap he should have understood that. As to running to the police here - silly <deleted>!

36 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Zero sympathy from me.

The "long route"?   The difference was B10, how much longer than usual could it have been?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think that your calling it "fare padding through a detour" is a bit of a dramatic overstatement considering the dispute was over B10!

25 pct? Small amounts mean more to the poor. I don't know the financial or family status of either of these two though. 

Edited by Speedhump
Poor maths

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Where does it state that he was a "felang" ? 

All that was reported that he wasnt a Thai .

My mistake, I thought I'd read it in other comments. 

Actually, yes, I did. And he looks white. So what's the issue? 

Edited by Speedhump
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Some know-alls are assuming that the foreigner is a farang, wonder why?

I've just checked comments before mine. They said farang,  that's what I read. And the video clip shows a white face. And he's described as a foreigner. 

Is that not farang then? 

Why do you get your jollies jumping on others posts here (not just mine) ? 

Edited by Speedhump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1