Foreigner criticized after taxi attack over 10 baht - claimed driver took a detour

webfact

When I lived in a city I always tried to use the same tuk tuk drivers and tipped them well.

They would get to know my routine and would be waiting for me when the pubs closed. Sometimes declining fares from other people wanting a tuk tuk to ensure they got my custom to take me back home.

Look after people and they will often look after you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

Many I know who speak Thai are the tightest. A lot of them think everything should be 30-40 thb and survive on food carts. 

Speaking Thai with a farang accent isn't going to get any discount from Thai people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Some people are like that unfortunately...

I have a friend who was getting ripped off over 100k a month by his gfs and was laughing about it. One day a motorbike driver charged him 20 baht more than the usual and he lost his cool, almost got into a physical situation about it. 

Nobody likes the feeling of being cheated, but for 10 baht.. not worth it... Like many of you said before, it is still dirt cheap compared to our home countries. Mine starts the meter at like 300 baht ????

This happened in chaing Mai years ago over 10 baht. The tuk tuk driver followed my date at the time into the bar and stood behind him for 10 mins waiting for his 10 extra baht. Then he  punched my date on the side of his, head. My date ripped  the <deleted> out of him and used him as a punching  ball around the bar. Like a good old western!

It took three people to pull him of of the tuk tuk driver.  I said to my date. Wow you can fight. He replied I don't go to the gym 5 times a week for nothing.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps B10 is more significant to a Thai taxi driver than it is to that foreigner who's been living in a hotel here for years.   And, judging from what witnesses said, perhaps the foreigner's (well-known) attitude didn't go down well with the driver.

Maybe from Cambodia no Thai would ever do this horrible thing. 

17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Sometimes declining fares from other people wanting a tuk tuk to ensure they got my custom to take me back home.

Look after people and they will often look after you.

And when you no longer have a routine, the people who were refused service will ignore those who refused them.  You may not realise it, but you make things worse, having your personal drivers.

2 hours ago, Card said:

What about the taxi driver - using violence for the sake of 10 baht. How stupid and cheap is that?

Quite, it's sad that almost all comments here ignore that. Obviously the knowalls are saying the farang should wise up and always pay what's demanded or risk getting beaten up over a few baht. Whether he was wrong or not is only HALF the story here. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What was the agreed price ?

Was it a metered taxi ?

Did the meter show 50 Baht and the passenger gave himself a discount ?

Whatever way , 50 Baht is very cheap for a Taxi , 40 Baht is extremely  cheap 

All Bangkok public taxis are metered.   

If the meter shows B50, B50 had to be paid regardless of how cheap it may have been.  If it was an agreed fare, it had to be paid regardless of how cheap it may have been.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although not many, if any posters have condoned the violence .

Its highly unlikely that a taxi driver would over charge and then become aggressive , its more probably that the passenger was refusing to pay the full fare 

The dispute was over an accusation of fare padding through a detour. My point was whatever the matter, resorting to a physical attack was shameful, a  point ignored by most of the usual suspects here who in general prefer to heap approbation on a stupid old farang. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wow.   Can anyone join your self-admiration society of do we have to start our own?!

Probably anyone is allowed to join.

Except you.

I would hope that would be the case!  To steal someone else's line, I wouldn't want to be a member of a society that would have me as a member.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All Bangkok public taxis are metered.   

If the meter shows B50, B50 had to be paid regardless of how cheap it may have been.  If it was an agreed fare, it had to be paid regardless of how cheap it may have been.

I has assumed it was a motorcycle taxi. 

Just now, Speedhump said:

The dispute was over an accusation of fare padding through a detour. My point was whatever the matter, resorting to a physical attack was shameful, a  point ignored by most of the usual suspects here who in general prefer to heap approbation on a stupid old farang. 

Don't forget the vast majority of members here who, in general, prefer to heap approbation on any Thai.