How many foreigners have gone broke?

kwilco

13 hours ago, kwilco said:

Is there an equivalent to a furlough scheme in Thailand?

There has been some  repayment deferrals  on property and vehicles loans..payments deferred for a  period of time but all interest and total loans to be paid back in full after that period ends...just kicking the can down the road.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, johng said:

There has been some  repayment deferrals  on property and vehicles loans..payments deferred for a  period of time but all interest and total loans to be paid back in full after that period ends...just kicking the can down the road.

I don't believe it, you are saying if someone gets a deferred payment lets say on a vehicle for 3-6 months, and you have been making payments for several years

after that deferment time (3-6 months) the total amount of the loan is due ?

12 minutes ago, thaitom said:

the total amount of the loan is due ?

No I'm saying that the payments can be stopped for the deferment period

(whilst the Covidiocy rages and they have no income/job ) 

after that the payments have to start again as before  not that the/a total lump sum must be paid after the deferral ends.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johng said:

No I'm saying that the payments can be stopped for the deferment period

(whilst the Covidiocy rages and they have no income/job ) 

after that the payments have to start again as before  not that the/a total lump sum must be paid after the deferral ends.

Sorry, so I did misunderstand your post.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rott said:

On topic I surprisingly only know one who had to go home skint, but several others who got stuck outside and won't come back due to  quarantine and some not being up to the CoE. At least after 3 rejections they abandoned it. 

Count me in that number. Tried and failed at the end of July. I now don't intend to return until all restrictions are lifted in both countries and then only as a tourist/snowbird. Probably at least a year away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, polpott said:

Count me in that number. Tried and failed at the end of July. I now don't intend to return until all restrictions are lifted in both countries and then only as a tourist/snowbird. Probably at least a year away.

The Beefeater is open and waiting for you. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaitom said:

I don't believe it, you are saying if someone gets a deferred payment lets say on a vehicle for 3-6 months, and you have been making payments for several years

after that deferment time (3-6 months) the total amount of the loan is due ?

No it doesn't work like that, after the deferment period has elapsed the original payments kick back in and the period of your loan gets extended by 6 months, or however long your deferment period was for. During the deferment period you would normally still have to pay the interest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I take exception to that. The vaccine effort was likely one of the worst, amongst the top 100 nations in the world. A spectacular failure. And the shutdowns have been highly selective, and punitive to all but the super rich owners of the canning plants, the construction sites, and some others. 

I said nothing about vaccine in my reply.

12 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

The COVID restrictions were aimed at controlling a disease which was progressively more harmful the older the patient.  

Your argument gets no argument from me. However, I didn't mention "COVID restrictions". My comment concerned Covid relief (rent subsidies, paycheck protection, child care relief, etc).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Your argument gets no argument from me. However, I didn't mention "COVID restrictions". My comment concerned Covid relief (rent subsidies, paycheck protection, child care relief, etc).

Which cost little compared to the cost of the restrictions, but nevertheless, when income tax receipts are stalled, VAT receipts are stalled, airport tax... the government saddles itself with debt regardless of any additional costs

• Like 2

Numerous both Thai owned and foreigner owned business in the tourists areas have suffered or given up - like with all business during a hard period, the strong ones survives, the already weak ones disappears - those that has a business with capital behind, and no debt to bank or others, just sits back and wait. It's like an extended low season they tells me, and some use the period without tourists to refurbish their business, or rebuild, and some even expands - one I know both re-constructs and expands to double size - ready for the coming high seasons.

• Like 1

Without 50 million tourists the entire Thai economy will be different. Many businesses simply wont have customers ... and like any other industries there will be many satire I dustries that will struggle.

I would think that unless the government funds post Covid recovery there will be lean times ahead for several years

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

Just for interest you cannot insure your business here against fire unless you own the building.

I know I sound like a stuck record but our successful small bar would be OK if the greedy Landlords would sharpen their pencil. As it is I think it is doomed 

So that Nashaa on Walking st that just burnt down, they must own the building as well, which is rare

On 9/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Johnny Mac said:

Quite a lot I would say. Many have families too. Only the tough survive.

or adaptable, because as Ive mentioned there is farm work available in fact a vast shortage of farm workers and in the poistion of  having no  job I would simply switch to that until things improve but it  still  appears many simply  will not do this.

35 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

or adaptable, because as Ive mentioned there is farm work available in fact a vast shortage of farm workers and in the poistion of  having no  job I would simply switch to that until things improve but it  still  appears many simply  will not do this.

Most city dwellers wouldn't last long if they did farm work, IMO. To soft to do the very hard yards of farm work, IMO.

Before anyone asks, yes, I worked on farms for 2 years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most city dwellers wouldn't last long if they did farm work, IMO. To soft to do the very hard yards of farm work, IMO.

Before anyone asks, yes, I worked on farms for 2 years.

Wouldn't last long on B300 a day either, unless one has a familial collective situation.

Edited by zzaa09
IMO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

It means not a pussy or an idiot. Now off you go and get all offended.

Well wouldn't you if some weakling called you a 'pussy or an idiot.'

Probably never had to do anything tough in your life.

Tata tough guy!

Edited by mommysboy

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Well wouldn't you if some weakling called you a 'pussy or an idiot.'

Probably never had to do anything tough in your life.

Tata tough guy!

So now you resort to lying. Now that really is tough ????????

I own a tourist related shop here, and was forced to leave Thailand. I could have gotten a loan from the bank, but at such conditions it would in the long run not have been sustainable. So I returned home, found a job there, and am working for that company now from Thailand. So I'm back with a not tourism related job.

My tourism related shop is still here, with hardly any expenses, so I can restart any time.

• Like 1