How many foreigners have gone broke?

kwilco

On 9/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I said nothing about vaccine in my reply.

You said nothing unique about the way Thailand has dealt with Corona. I disagree. I think most would. The extreme lack of preparation for the vaccine program here truly sets Thailand apart. It was an abysmal failure, and they are just now catching up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

You said nothing unique about the way Thailand has dealt with Corona. I disagree. I think most would. The extreme lack of preparation for the vaccine program here truly sets Thailand apart. It was an abysmal failure, and they are just now catching up. 

On the positive side - better late than not at all. 

Not truly setting Thailand apart, at nearly 20% it's still way ahead of dozens of countries [including your most civilised Western types] in vaccination ratio. 

And you'll be remembering, Thailand was one of the top 4-5 in the world at containing/managing viral spread for all of 2020 and into 2021. And then.......all of a sudden, it went south. Delta? People become relaxed/indifferent towards mitigation? The early mismanagement and phuckwittery of the vaccine programs?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Not truly setting Thailand apart, at nearly 20% it's still way ahead of dozens of countries [including your most civilised Western types] in vaccination ratio. 

And you'll be remembering, Thailand was one of the top 4-5 in the world at containing/managing viral spread for all of 2020 and into 2021. And then.......all of a sudden, it went south. Delta? People become relaxed/indifferent towards mitigation? The early mismanagement and phuckwittery of the vaccine programs?

Nope. Highly selective shutdowns was the culprit. If the Samut market had been locked down in December it is possible this would have been far less of a disaster. Also, warning the construction workers that the sites would be shut down in a weeks time? 

And not shutting down the canning plants? Real brain dead policy and likely massive corruption involved. 

Edited by spidermike007

10 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Basically Thailand suffered from a variant of King Canute syndrome....they just couldn't  in the end, stem the tide. No vaccines, not safe. Not safe till we're  all safe.

29 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

And how does one define normal

It is not so much how normal is defined, but who defines it.

What I would consider normal, other people would not, and the same the other way around.

As a simple example, many Thai's don't wear a crash helmet on a bike or scooter. I used to always wear one which to me is normal. My son always wears one as well but my neighbour's daughter doesn't.

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is not so much how normal is defined, but who defines it.

What I would consider normal, other people would not, and the same the other way around.

As a simple example, many Thai's don't wear a crash helmet on a bike or scooter. I used to always wear one which to me is normal. My son always wears one as well but my neighbour's daughter doesn't.

Selected designed standard. Which might be construed as terms of contradictory, just as normality might be. 

Correct normal?

Wrong normal?

????

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

Normal? 

For holidaymakers or anyone who wants to travel freely around Thailand and the region, my guess is that they will need a vaccine passport at least.

Any small business will need 2 things; firstly capital to restart and secondly a customer base big enough to open for .

A lot  of foreigners  had small businesses pubs bars etc and although they may run 9n expats for a while, they are going to need tourists to return in big numbers to make it worthwhile.

Others may have lost their jobs in tourism and will need to find new employers or re-employers.

Teachers will need open schools and universities or private language schools to reopen.

The engineering and electronics industries seem to have kept everyone on.

Scuba schools gyms etc., had a large amount of dodgy employees on tourist visas ... so they may face immigration problems on top of finding customers.

I think many expats may decide to move away once they realise that many of the businesses they relied on won't be coming back. 

Local Western food shops and eateries etc.

That in turn may make it less worthwhile opening businesses catering for that market....a vicious circle. 

I feel therefore the new normal whatever it may be will take several years to manifest itself.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, NightSky said:

A better question to ask is simply How many foreigners have gone

and

why would they want to stay even if not broke

Why should I go.? 

Where would I want to go to.? 

I have seen suggestions of supposedly cheaper and better places, but for the moment Poland, Albania, Panama, Ecuador and others hold no appeal for me. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That's correct. I said "I know another country that could apply to. IMO nothing unique about the way Thailand has dealt with corona" and I stand by that.

America, the UK, Europe are not the only countries in the world, though sometimes it seems some posters think so.

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Johnny Mac said:

Quite a lot I would say. Many have families too. Only the tough survive.

The tough and the lucky. I've survived financially, but I've had several staff get infected and there's been lots of associated costs. 

Psychologically it's been tough, but others are much worse. I only know of one expat forced home, but am sure there's many.

9 hours ago, rott said:

Why should I go.? 

Where would I want to go to.? 

I have seen suggestions of supposedly cheaper and better places, but for the moment Poland, Albania, Panama, Ecuador and others hold no appeal for me. 

In response to your reply to this post, I agree with you 100%.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, NightSky said:
A better question to ask is simply How many foreigners have gone

and why would they want to stay even if not broke

I like it here with my Thai wife and son and have no reason or desire to go elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kwilco said:

Normal? 

For holidaymakers or anyone who wants to travel freely around Thailand and the region, my guess is that they will need a vaccine passport at least.

Any small business will need 2 things; firstly capital to restart and secondly a customer base big enough to open for .

A lot  of foreigners  had small businesses pubs bars etc and although they may run 9n expats for a while, they are going to need tourists to return in big numbers to make it worthwhile.

Others may have lost their jobs in tourism and will need to find new employers or re-employers.

Teachers will need open schools and universities or private language schools to reopen.

The engineering and electronics industries seem to have kept everyone on.

Scuba schools gyms etc., had a large amount of dodgy employees on tourist visas ... so they may face immigration problems on top of finding customers.

I think many expats may decide to move away once they realise that many of the businesses they relied on won't be coming back. 

Local Western food shops and eateries etc.

That in turn may make it less worthwhile opening businesses catering for that market....a vicious circle. 

I feel therefore the new normal whatever it may be will take several years to manifest itself.

I don't want to take you too literally but I don't see many leaving because a western food shop or caff/bar closes. Possibly if they all close. But there's always someone ready to have a go and open up something new. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's correct. I said "I know another country that could apply to. IMO nothing unique about the way Thailand has dealt with corona" and I stand by that.

America, the UK, Europe are not the only countries in the world, though sometimes it seems some posters think so.

Very very few have handled it well - especially from those circles that consider themselves terribly special and exceptional. A dismal and embarrassing failure. Yet, the illusion and sleight-of-hand continues on.....

• Like 1