Are You 75, Now, and Still in Thailand, after all these years?

GammaGlobulin

I enjoyed your rambling thoughts that came to the point slowly. Good writing. I hope I can be as coherent and enjoyably when I reach 75.

There is, however, no danger of you being considered a tea snob for Yellow Label Tea is a blight upon the world. It tastes like mud, and not very good mud. I drink my tea without cream or sugar, so I get all the flavours, good and bad.

Darjeeling is known as the King of teas and is my favorite type. Celon tea, which forms the basis of English Breakfast, is also quite good. Perhaps you should try a different brand of English Breakfast or Celon tea. I find they vary quite a bit in how they taste. I have settled on Dimah Celon tea as my local reasonably priced, go to tea.  Another very good tea is Cameronian Gold by BOH of Malaysia. It can be found on-line. I lived in Malaysia for about 9 years and lived across the hall from BOH's English owners.

Perhaps we may be able to agree that Earl Grey should go the way of it's namesake Prime Minister, be fondly remembered for what it never really was and respectfully buried.

44 minutes ago, AndrewL said:

I enjoyed your rambling thoughts that came to the point slowly. Good writing. I hope I can be as coherent and enjoyably when I reach 75.

There is, however, no danger of you being considered a tea snob for Yellow Label Tea is a blight upon the world. It tastes like mud, and not very good mud. I drink my tea without cream or sugar, so I get all the flavours, good and bad.

Darjeeling is known as the King of teas and is my favorite type. Celon tea, which forms the basis of English Breakfast, is also quite good. Perhaps you should try a different brand of English Breakfast or Celon tea. I find they vary quite a bit in how they taste. I have settled on Dimah Celon tea as my local reasonably priced, go to tea.  Another very good tea is Cameronian Gold by BOH of Malaysia. It can be found on-line. I lived in Malaysia for about 9 years and lived across the hall from BOH's English owners.

Perhaps we may be able to agree that Earl Grey should go the way of it's namesake Prime Minister, be fondly remembered for what it never really was and respectfully buried.

Real tea drinkers that know their tea will only settle for the variety of Chinese teas. 

Anything else is low-brow. 

• Confused 1

86 and been here since retirement, 23 years ago. The immigration requrements bother me more each year - particularly the 90 day reportinb. I calculate in the 23 years I have submitted 90 such reports with never a change of address. Isn't it about time this was taken into account?

Edited by Farang99
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Mr GammaGlobulin, you really can't help yourself but please don't change.

Reel 'em in, land 'em and then release 'em.

Love your choice of breakfast, by the way. Perhaps, more Brian Blessed than Falstaff, completely over the top. Wonderful stuff!

Strange. I put him on ignore very quickly. Utter rubbish.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Then I presume you do not indulge in either, but you must have done once or twice to know that you hate them.

I hate sweetbreads and warm milk in the morning!   LOL 

For breakfast I have a very mini English breakfast only on a Sunday, other days, only a bowl of cereal, and on an occasional day two slices of wheat toasted bread with olive grove spread and a cup of Typhoo or Tetley tea with sweetner.

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why are you so worried about making 72, or reaching 76?

Have you never heard of Jack Bruce?

Do you even THINK that Jack Bruce was worried about his age???

Jack Bruce was NEVER pussyfoot.

Get a grip, man, and be like Jack BRUCE, and enjoy your breakfast.

Get a grip, my friend.

Off topic I know, but a chance to tell this story. Back in the seventies, I knew Jack Bruces parents personally, they used to regularly turn up at gigs where I was playing with the band. I played Bass, just like Jack who was then with Cream.

Then on to the nineties, I went out with Jack Bruces niece, a beautiful girl for three years and kept in touch with her right up till I came to Thailand.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Yet here you are reading them. ????

Each to their own.

No I don't read them anymore as when "ignored" they don't show content. 

I think this tread was the kicker. When "Ignored" I don't see the content of posts but consequential posts by others are shown.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, Farang99 said:

86 and been here since retirement, 23 years ago. The immigration requrements bother me more each year - particularly the 90 day reportinb. I calculate in the 23 years I have submitted 90 such reports with never a change of address. Isn't it about time this was taken into account?

We are never too old to learn. If it helps you to not be so bothered by the 90-day report. Reporting every 90-days has nothing to do with the address where you reside, that's the role of the TM30. More a case of ensuring you remember your place in Thai society. Best wishes.

I'm 75, still in Thailand and feel fortunate to be here. 

My breakfast consists of 4 cups of coffee whilst reading the Guardian, Washington Post and New York Times. I'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the bitter, divided UK. 

There's lots wrong here as is pointed out daily by posters here but I've found that if a farang becomes part of the village community (not Pattaya, Pukhet etc) life can be pretty good (and cheap).

No ,I am 76 ...35 years of them living here in Chiang Mai , I would

have thought i would have been brown bread  long ago,if I had

still been living in UK .

Lipton's yellow label tea  A.K.A.  Gnats <deleted> , terrible tea, years ago

it was just about the only Farang tea available in Chiang Mai ,I had

to buy a box, when I ran out of Yorkshire tea,that my family had

brought over, you could leave it to mast in a cup for several days,

and it still hardly coloured the water..

This morning had Shredded Wheat and Mangoes ,some mornings

a fry up, Kippers, on Saturdays  it's always porridge, 

I find Thailand and Chiang Mai has changed a lot ,you can get just

about everything you want  here now, food, electrical goods, Ect. Ect.

the first Tv I bought here was a 21 " Toshiba , 12,000 Thb,what's that

in today's money,  Tv's about the only things that have gotten bigger and cheaper.

Take care , stay safe  and see if we can get a few more years in....

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:51 AM, possum1931 said:

Off topic I know, but a chance to tell this story. Back in the seventies, I knew Jack Bruces parents personally, they used to regularly turn up at gigs where I was playing with the band. I played Bass, just like Jack who was then with Cream.

Then on to the nineties, I went out with Jack Bruces niece, a beautiful girl for three years and kept in touch with her right up till I came to Thailand.

The reason I so much love Jack Bruce is because....  He played right up to the bitter end.  Takes guts to do what he did.

• Thanks 1