What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"What about those foreigners who have lived here for years, have families, jobs, cars, houses, stay out of trouble, support the local community and are here long term, not just to move money about, invest then (leave) as things get ugly?"

Thailand: "What about them?  If you don't like it go home!"

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They are trotting out this hoary old chestnut more and more frequently now as desperation sets in.  The wealthy will not come to live in a place where there is no rule of law; no police force; dangerous roads AND a pandemic of corruption from the local cop up to the very highest in the land. Droughts and floods alternate regularly and then there are the dogs!

They should stick with what worked before. Loads of backpackers and general tourists with their who like the "wild west" feel of Thailand. They will more than make up any income from these "wealthy toursits", which will not come in any significan numbers anyway. This pland is just borne out of desperation - but they won't hotels and businesses shutting - only large numbers of tourists will do that. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

I read a few of these articles because I'm curious about whether I qualify and would want to apply for any of these (I'm still not sure). But I didn't see it written on any of those that the existing residents or their visa avenues would be impacted by the new move.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it sorta just feels like a case of bruised egos.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

So what?

It's correct.

Retirees just put money in the bank and are done with it here, super easy. It's harder in other places.

Right, this is just additional visas, does not affect anyone who is here already. People just love to be butthurt, complaining about more possibilities to stay here and lol calling it xenophobia....

If you use two different names you are just a troll to poll this site and it deserves no answer

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

I read a few of these articles because I'm curious about whether I qualify and would want to apply for any of these (I'm still not sure). But I didn't see it written on any of those that the existing residents or their visa avenues would be impacted by the new move.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it sorta just feels like a case of bruised egos.

Hopefully you're correct. However, some have been watching the current gyrations going on with Malaysia's "My Second Home" (MM2H) program.  Reportedly after Malaysia hired KPMG as advisor, the gov't announced a plan to change the MM2H program by increasing the requirements. substantially.  Not surprisingly, there was a huge expat outcry by those who'd purchased homes and made a life in Malaysia, and the changes have been at least temporarily put on ice.

But it's been suggested that Thailand may be trying to do something similar with its McKinsey & Co advised "wealthy expat" program, albeit in stages.  At least the Thai program seems so poorly thought out there will be few takers. Still, that's not much comfort if the ultimate intent is similar to Malaysia's.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

You are quite right there is nothing that says the existing visas will be impacted, but when they introduced the Elite visa other visas got harder, when they introduced the 6 month tourist visa that requires such things as a letter from your employer stating they will rehire you, multiple entry tourist visas became impossible.

The way I think it would play out would be they would see that you have been renewing your retirement extension continuously over several years they would say that you should really be on the "correct" visa for long stay.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1