What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Quote: Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan “We will filter tourists that come visit. We don’t want backpackers to come so that Bali remains clean, where the people who come are of quality.”

That's not a very nice statement to make to say the least, backpackers are not quality? Well many of them are on university and takes a 1 year sabbatical and may eventually become wealthy.  

So they all want rich tourists and expats.

Keep on dreaming.

There are not many really rich expats in Thailand expect the ones that got their wealth from illegal business back home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

India, if you are not a sex addict, better food and friendlier people.  

Bit old fashioned on the India front I'm afraid. My grandfather was a PIO having been born in Ooty, sadly India is now Indian, couldn't live there, too fond of the history, although yes I agree better food and the people are generally very friendly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

When was that? Getting Australian citizenship in 1985 was less paperwork than getting a one year visa extension fro marriage here. The only requirement was 3 years of residence and a decent command of English. A few years later they made it even easier with two years of residence and the language requirement was that one member of the family unit could fill out some forms.

It was around 1994. 

If I had been a couple of years younger(under 27), it would have been easier. 

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

India, if you are not a sex addict, better food and friendlier people.  

There are other considerations. When the food disagrees, it's hard to find a friend with a toilet!

"Some 70 percent of households in India don't have access to toilets",

everything looks like we are living in the 19th century... Falangs/foreigners /aliens or whatever we are named.. we are rich but in the 21st century we are not rich enough and we have to have more money to spend and live here for more priviliges...It is sad, that if the ones with their money arte falling into this trap, because they change everything in a minute and before you know, nothing changed.. Look at the Elite Visa.. it is not working and why?? very easy just old fashioned immigration laws... Look at the problems with the vaccinatyions for foreigners.... It shows you are not treated as a habitant of this country, no not even a guests... It is very sad what the Government is doing.. I don't talk about the normal people.. mostly they are good and friendly

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

... I've tried Laos (didn't like it and Chinese ruined it), 

[/quote]

What Chinese?  I live in Luang Prabang and the only Chinese that I see are at the small Chinse market on the edge of town..

The Chinese infrastructure, highways etc are in plain sight.

Edited by Boarn
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whale said:

All this time here was I thinking I was second class "citizen" in Thailand. Now I realise I am third.

Wife left me years ago, kids grown and off abroad. Next one to leave is me. Enough is enough.

Its Cyprus or Greece for me.

Sounds good to me. Don't see your days out in this dump. Would much rather be in the med than here.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Misty said:

Hopefully you're correct. However, some have been watching the current gyrations going on with Malaysia's "My Second Home" (MM2H) program.  Reportedly after Malaysia hired KPMG as advisor, the gov't announced a plan to change the MM2H program by increasing the requirements. substantially.  Not surprisingly, there was a huge expat outcry by those who'd purchased homes and made a life in Malaysia, and the changes have been at least temporarily put on ice.

But it's been suggested that Thailand may be trying to do something similar with its McKinsey & Co advised "wealthy expat" program, albeit in stages.  At least the Thai program seems so poorly thought out there will be few takers. Still, that's not much comfort if the ultimate intent is similar to Malaysia's.

The Malaysia MM2H new policies are really draconian with the quadruple increase of the monthly requirement, rising the fixed deposit requirement by a whopping 567% and rising the liquid asset by 329%. Idiotic proposals that deserving got a backlash. It’s put on hold till Dec 22. Fewer than 1 in 20 current visa holders would be able to meet the new requirements. 

The Thai proposals are actually different from the Malaysian as it aim to attract and entice new wealthy foreigners and not targeted at current visa holder foreigners of which most staying here. So I don’t understand the outcry. However I do sympathize with then on the fact that things can change on a dime here. 

• Like 2

What about us?

The answer to this question will be revealed in a later announcement of plans to raise financial hurdles on visas to remove a million unwanted foreigners to make room for the wealthy new arrivals who will start coming in droves to drop cash all over the Kingdom like money trees.  They may even be encouraged to adopt Thai families of those flushed out, so they can spend even more money.  

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I would guess that 80% of all ex-pats, if you did a survey, would say the standard of living here, is amongst the top two or three reasons they are here. Without the affordability factor, Thailand offers a very limited amount of appeal for ex-pats. I do like most Thai people. And the food. 

Not much in the way of culture though. And if you consider the air, the poor quality of the water, the traffic hazards, and the govt., well I could go on. If I were wealthy enough, I would choose to be here no more than 2-3 months of each year. There are countless spots that would be very appealing as a traveling nomad. Croatia, Turkey, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Sardinia, and many other spots. 

Interesting you mention Croatia first, never been but it looks appealing for all sorts of reasons. Any opinions on Zagreb/Split/Dubrovnik?

• Like 2

The truest thing said to me when I first came here went along the lines of: you are always a tourist!

That's the way you are seen and the way you are treated, ie, permanence isn't on offer. Even if you have residence it won't count for much in the end.

And the wisest thing said to me recently: if you try to enjoy the present, the future will likely be the same.

Also, we left farangiland for a reason didn't we?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not much in the way of culture though. And if you consider the air, the poor quality of the water, the traffic hazards, and the govt., well I could go on. If I were wealthy enough, I would choose to be here no more than 2-3 months of each year. There are countless spots that would be very appealing as a traveling nomad. Croatia, Turkey, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Sardinia, and many other spots. 

I agree, but the cost and weather make up for that. 

I plan to retire in the UK for the summer, and other countries around the world, staying here for about 4 months per year. 

The bitter people in the OP probably don't have the funds to move around and yet feel entitled to longer visas or citizens' rights. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1