Thai Schools Require 85% of Staff and Students to be Vaccinated before Reopening

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yeah, there's been a number of posts about "I see the teachers in town at the coffee shops all day" and "you know they're still getting FULL salary". Haha. Why shouldn't it be full?

If anything, it should be a bit more. It's quite a bit more work. We've been doing a combo of coming into the office and working from home. There's considerably more preparation involved in making presentation slides, custom YouTubes, converting material to Google Forms or other platforms, versus handing out worksheets and teaching in person. We also have to keep stricter attendance as most students don't show up to online classes, and wouldn't show up at all with no attendance keeping. We then have to do a lot more chasing after them for late assignments, before they pile up before exam time. Then finally, as we're conducting all these classes on Line Messenger, I'm getting questions and communicating with them at all hours of the day. For those who didn't come to class, I essentially gotta give them the class again. This considerably increased my work time.

Ah, and mind you this is just a lowly Issan govt school. But I'm glad they actually appreciate such efforts out here, versus the arrogant BKK private schools that cared less.

For weeks my wife was coming home by 6pm. Then from 7 until 9pm printer on the go. School work.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Has your wife been vaccinated?

Do you know what 'high horse' means? 

I have kids that have not been to school for most of the last year and a half. 

In answer to your question

Yes my wife has had 2 x Sinovac and was recently told she will receive a booster on April.

High horse, yes.

Both my children are the same as yours.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Tonypandy said:

All international school have recieved the OK to reopen for on site learning in Chiang Mai. A few opened yesterday whilst most will do the same next Monday. No vaccines required for students. 

Same here! My daughter starts school tomorrow. No need for vaccines. Like I say. What the ministries in Thailand decides, they override with the provincially granted final decision.

3 hours ago, huangnon said:

The risk of adverse vaccine effects on kids far outweighs the danger of Covid-19 at ages below 18 yo.

I am not trying to nitpick but the quote you made is possibly misleading as it only applies to times the pandemic is under control. It is also only specific to boys 12-15. Generally vaccination risks are far less than Covid risks even for children.

during periods when the pandemic is better under control 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid19-vaccine-what-parents-need-to-know

I’ve been vaccinated at birth. Received many other vaccines before traveling to other countries. My kids have both been vaccinated, and will continue to receive their upcoming jabs. I’m not anti vaccine.

The covid vaccine is not one I’m willing to take though so I guess I’ll be forced out of my job of 9 years. I love my job and I have a good position. It’s a shame. Guess it’s time to dust off the resume. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So, as no one is suggesting that children under 12 should be vaccinated why can't primary schools open now? Why do they have to wait until November?

I hope they do... it makes my head spin that people thought it was OK to keep kids out of school for so long. 

• Like 1

Both the USA and EU have approved Pfizer for children over the age of 12 (Moderna will follow soon) The Thai government will be using Pfizer for the kids with parents approval. Teachers get Astrazenca (2 doses) or Sinovac Astrazenca (one dose each) or if already vaccinated with Sinovac they are offered an Astrazenca booster. There is a possibility that Astrazenca and Pfzer will be available. If you are not vaccinated then you need to do a PCR test every 7 days (both adults and children). In my opinion all Teachers and ancillary staff such as cleaners etc should y vaccinated and probably tested every 14 days to 30days at least for the first few months of opening schools again.. people who keep talking about child fatalities being low are kinda missing the point..the kids can take it home and infect their grandparents etc..also any child needlessly dieing is terrible!

On 9/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, fangless said:

What age groups are they talking about vaccinating?

If they are old enough to stand properly at ease they are old enough to be vaccinated.

The country can no longer tolerate the increasingly idle standards of foot drill as a result of the time they are spending out of school. Look at the position of the hands of that girl in the front rank! A disgrace to the uniform. Something must be done about it!

12 hours ago, huangnon said:

The risk of adverse vaccine effects on kids far outweighs the danger of Covid-19 at ages below 18 yo.

Their plan should be "schools can reopen once the students' families have been vaccinated as the risk to the students is low while the risk to their families is high".

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Their plan should be "schools can reopen once the students' families have been vaccinated as the risk to the students is low while the risk to their families is high".

When would the students families be fully vaccinated. I mean by what date. Guess teachers also

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

When would the students families be fully vaccinated. I mean by what date. Guess teachers also

This is the problem.  Suppose they get a school full of kids vaccinated and back to school in the next couple of months.  Then someone brings covid to school and spreads it to dozens of students unnoticed.  They may not have symptoms and it may not show up for a week or two.  How many parents or grandparents will have been infected by the time the outbreak shows up on a test somewhere?  And how many of those vulnerable people will have been vaccinated?

11 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So schools stay closed forever if some families refuse to be vaccinated? Why should my kid's education suffer on account of the unvaccinated?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So schools stay closed forever if some families refuse to be vaccinated? Why should my kid's education suffer on account of the unvaccinated?

OK.  Change it to "once the students' families have all had the opportunity to be vaccinated".

Edited by BangkokReady

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I think you can buy one for less than dollar. 7/11 will sell you one for 5 baht may be?

I seem to remember better for the 7-11 as it is a quick bike ride from the house for a couple of items....it is my trips into town, as I realize the bag I had in the car last week, is now in the house with many others.