I'm really over old idiots in Thailand

georgegeorgia

20 hours ago, dj230 said:

I find there is generally two types of old people, those who are bitter and those who are the kindest people you'll ever meet. 

When you're old and have the thought of knowing you'll be dead soon, it changes people, for the better or for the worse

I find that people who are bitter mostly seem to have drinking problems, note I said mostly.

11 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

No that is not true.  At one time those who were not heterosexual were said to "be in the closet"   Well I am not sure how that differs from heterosexuals who certainly don't and never had heterosexual parades, heterosexual flags, or demand legislative protection for being heterosexual.  

Guess what, when I walk down the street I doubt that many people care or want to know what my sexual preference is and frankly it is none of their business.  

The same should be true for gays, lesbians, transexuals, swingers, or any other variant you can imagine.  Its fine that you have chosen that as your preference.  But stop trying to push it in the schools, have flags hung from the U.S. embassies, and demanding that somehow I embrace that lifestyle and rejoice in it.  Those with other sexual preference lifestyles don't embrace or love the fact that I am a heterosexual.  Your sexual preference is like your religion, or politics.  While I respect and condone your right to choose them, don't expect me to agree with them, or celebrate them. 

heteronormative
/ˌhɛt(ə)rə(ʊ)ˈnɔːmətɪv/

adjective

1. denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation.
    "the heteronormative codes of twentieth-century mainstream Western cinema"

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Look don't get me wrong..I can be bias too and have many British friends in Pattaya who tell me their against immigration to their country and I agree with them..I'm also against immigration to Australia but I'm not singling out any race during this recession...but if I hear someone like he did in Pattaya shouting at a gay farang with obscenity then yes it did make me angry and I should of spoke up !

Surely you older guys are mature enough to accept sake sex couples 

Accepting same sex couples isn't necessarily a sign of maturity!

22 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

homophobia ,sexism and misogyny needs to be challenged, otherwise you become their collaborator.

No, they do not need to be challenged, those individuals' have the same rights to have opinions, just as you do.  Challenging them suggests that you believe that they shouldn't be allowed to have that right to an opinion.   

Ignoring people with those views, whether you consider them unacceptable or not (and that's just your opinion) does not make you their "collaborator"!  

"The standard we walk past, is the standard we endorse".

Just nonsense.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:
3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, they do not need to be challenged, those individuals' have the same rights to have opinions, just as you do.  Challenging them suggests that you believe that they shouldn't be allowed to have that right to an opinion.   

Ignoring people with those views, whether you consider them unacceptable or not (and that's just your opinion) does not make you their "collaborator"!  

Expand  

I completely and utterly disagree with you, as is my right.

Excellent, that was my point, that you have a right to your opinion, that's all.

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another one who has no idea what Fascism really is.

"Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power and forcible suppression of opposition".

Looks like he might at least have a grasp.

Looks more as though you don't have a grasp, either, particularly when it comes to who is a Fascist if you're supporting his view!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Look at a country like Russia or Muslim countries. Gays are persecuted today for being gay

The fact is that unless someone broadcasts the fact that they are gay.  No one knows.  Your sexual preference should be like your religion or politics.  You have the right to choose it.  However don't expect that I should condone it being taught in the schools, cheer at the parades, be proud of their flag etc.  

As stated the obvious.  When I walk down the street whether it is in Russia, or any Muslim country, no one asks, and no one knows if I am straight or gay.  It is the deliberate actions of those who advocate alternative sexual preference to broadcast it to the world.  That action is what exposes them to those who do not favor that lifestyle.  

To beat a dead horse my sexual preference is my business and I doubt seriously that anyone cares about it.  The same is true of others who embrace the gay, lesbian, transgender lifestyle.  They have this crying need for the rest of the world not just to condone it but to celebrate it and to have it taught in the schools.  Sorry, I respect their right to live it as they choose but just like their  religion or politics, don't ask me to agree with them, adopt them as my own, or have them taught in the public schools.  

Keep your sexual preference like your sexual organs, not out for public display. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know a few people that despite being tangibly good friends and people generally, have some characteristics and opinions that would be called out as politically-incorrect. Probably from being hard-wired at an early (bygone) age with old prejudices, maybe.

Doesn't necessarily make them bad people. I think everyone knows someone like this, family if not friends.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Russia and Hungary did exactly the right thing. They are protecting society from LGBT propaganda. You won't see Russia or Hungary spending 580 million USD of taxpayer money on a plesbiscite to make gay marriage legal. The only reason this deviation of sexual practice has succeeded in getting politicians to throw millions of dollars at it is because of straight people who support it, like you.

Because people think that homosexual rights, gay marriage etc does not affect you. But it affects you, and more than you think.

If only our own politicians had the insight and courage the politicians in Russia and Hungary have.

WOW - you are really Far Far out on your beliefs

LGBT - wrong

Not having children - Wrong

Maybe read the UN Declaration of Human Rights - get a feel for what the majority in the world believes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Errm, homosexuality was illegal only 54 years ago.

And of course polyamory and bestiality are legal now in many countries, just like homosexuality. In fact many homosexuals wanted to make paedophilia legal in the 1970s as well.

Running out of argument space ? Quoting stats from over 50 years ago ?

So tell us - how were things during the Roman Empire ?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Maybe your a cup "half full' guy.

Clearly it wasn't just a once off comment. Had been a few.

From my perch, covid has little effect on me financially etc.

I would rather be talking with farang that are doing charity to assist others than pointing out the discounts available due to covid.

"Positives in a bad situation" spare me.

It is a possitive in a bad situation isn't it ???  Seems to me you are the one making a negative out of a positive . Don't think he meant anything bad with it just stated the fact that the empty roads are a breath of fresh air . 

• Haha 1

Like it or not, everyone has their own "worldview". It is shaped by their upbringing, particularly in our formative years, and becomes developed and honed, and set, over time.

Consequently, one's worldview informs such thing as personal biases, partialities, prejudices, inclinations, etc.

That being the case, OP, you are very unlikely to change another person's views, which have become deeply ingrained in that person, however strong or reasoned an argument you bring to bear.

Your own choice has been suggested in replies to your subject thread. Ignore your pal, or cut his views, which you deem as negative but he deems as positive, out of your life.  The argument is unwinnable. There is no right or wrong in this matter, although one could argue that the "moral high ground" belongs to you, in the light of modern norms and mores. A century or so ago, you would have been a lone voice, the odd man out!

6 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

To really get over the old idiots here one needs to give up your club membership costing 500K per year renting that stool surrounded by bargirls. News Flash for all you in denial, it is bad for your mental and physical health. Just like junkies create demand for drugs the old idiots create demand for young prostitutes who then suffer severe mental and physical health issues. While you old idiots play high and mighty throwing one of your own under the bus for going off on gay and racist rants mainly based on growing up in '50-60s, consider if that makes the lives you lead so virtuous. I know for damn sure it doesn't make my life easier living in Pattaya with all the old idiots and pretty sure your average Thai would welcome exchanging all the old idiots with more family oriented tourist.

robert_crumb.jpg

Another one choosing to live in Pattaya and then complaining about what made it exist as a city in the first place, never mind the other expats.

Just like junkies create demand for drugs the old idiots create demand for young prostitutes who then suffer severe mental and physical health issues.

You know that because................................................?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

They are proud of who and what they are. Why shouldnt they celebrate that just as someone could go to a music festival to celebrate their favourite music. 

People celebrate a whole variety of things in different ways. 

??????????????????????

Hetero people don't go around telling people that they are hetero, or celebrating that. It's a lifestyle choice, so IMO just do it and stop shouting about it.