When Did It Stop Being OK TO Disagree??

Kanada

38 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's because those who don't vaccinate may kill us or our children and grandparents. If you want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet I don't care. If you want to drive drunk that's a different matter. The sheer idiocy of the antivaxers is breath taking.

I believe that’s exactly the way most people think but they’re busy with life without either time or desire to argue with the few that never stop arguing on TV Forum

Edited by Kanada

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't say I've noticed much tolerance from other people in my lifetime. The official dogma may have changed, but in the real world I live in if I were to wear a dress in public I would expect a bashing.

However, I have noticed that people of a certain mindset on corona are  becoming waaaaay more intolerant of those that don't toe the government line. Even those I'd least expect it from. Before corona it was intolerance against those that didn't kowtow to the official line on PC or climate change.

On this very forum, there was a great deal of intolerance towards those that supported a certain politician.

That's in the short term but in the long term things have become far more tolerant in the west. Things like being gay, non-religious, opposing wars, showing tits (that seems to go in and out of fashion though).

It's not that bad in the short term either. I lived in Tennessee when Trump was running for election. I met some of the supposedly racist Trump supporters (I'm half Thai) and they were all super nice and friendly, not racist at all.

I did an education masters at the Uni of Melbourne which is one of the most progressive courses in one of the most left-leaning cities in the 1st world. Almost everyone there was open minded and could discuss sensitive topics except for the odd classmate.

This notion that everyone is at each other's throats painted by the media isn't reflected in reality. It's a small minority of intolerant people that feel the need to suppress discourse, unfortunately that small minority happens to be a loud one.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wprime said:

That's in the short term but in the long term things have become far more tolerant in the west. Things like being gay, non-religious, opposing wars, showing tits (that seems to go in and out of fashion though).

It's not that bad in the short term either. I lived in Tennessee when Trump was running for election. I met some of the supposedly racist Trump supporters (I'm half Thai) and they were all super nice and friendly, not racist at all.

I did an education masters at the Uni of Melbourne which is one of the most progressive courses in one of the most left-leaning cities in the 1st world. Almost everyone there was open minded and could discuss sensitive topics except for the odd classmate.

This notion that everyone is at each other's throats painted by the media isn't reflected in reality. It's a small minority of intolerant people that feel the need to suppress discourse, unfortunately that small minority happens to be a loud one.

The  media exists, IMO, to make small unimportant things large and important. Problem is that some apparently don't realise that and actually believe things they see/ hear on the media.

Eg, the local news will tell me that people died in a plane accident in Alaska, but tell me little to nothing going on locally. They even spend more time on "sport" than actual news.

2 hours ago, Kanada said:

I believe that’s exactly the way most people think but they’re busy with life without either time or desire to argue with the few that never stop arguing on TV Forum

Anonymous is safe and non-committal.