Retirement visa 'O' to Non 'B' extension

I cannot be easily done. The problem is having a work permit application accepted with a non-o visa entry or extension of stay based upon retirement.

A application for a extension of stay based upon working requires a work permit application approval letter for it to be applied for.

The new extension would be valid for a year after your existing extension is canceled.

• Like 1

Probably, this can only be achieved with the assistance of selected agents. It is not actually illegal. It is just that the rules are written in such a way that bureaucratic obstacles arise as soon as you try to achieve it. As stated, the normal way is to leave the country, and either return with a Non B visa or a tourist entry. The process then is at least standardised and understood.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

If the OP wants a B to get a WP maybe his employer can help. Gotta be a way. I was offered a job recently and asked an agent about this. He had no idea. 

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories while in the country.

The reason for a extension of stay can be changed to working. But getting the work permit application accepted is a major obstacle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories while in the country.

The reason for a extension of stay can be changed to working. But getting the work permit application accepted is a major obstacle.

But changing the reason to working is easy?

The problem for the work permit application then is the visa category, even if it was changed by immigration to 'working'?

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

But changing the reason to working is easy?

The problem for the work permit application then is the visa category, even if it was changed by immigration to 'working'?

To change the reason for the extension to working is not all that easy due to all the paperwork required for the extension application.

The work permit application is the big problem. A work permit application approval letter from the Labor Ministry is required to apply for the new extension.

I did it once about 11 years ago. I had a retirement visa from Hull, then a business opportunity came up which was too good to ignore. We were teamed up with a company in Pattaya and it was they who arranged my transfer to WP status. This involved in me being driven to the Cambodian border where, while I sat in the car, my retirement visa was cancelled and I was given a 30-day visit stamp. Then back at Pattaya I was given a 90-day extension as a WP applicant, followed by a 1-year 'B' extension. Later when the business came to a natural conclusion I had the WP cancelled and reverted to Retirement.

Without the right connections I doubt any of that would have been possible.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot be easily done. The problem is having a work permit application accepted with a non-o visa entry or extension of stay based upon retirement.

A application for a extension of stay based upon working requires a work permit application approval letter for it to be applied for.

The new extension would be valid for a year after your existing extension is canceled.

On a similar note:

Is it easy to change from a retirement "O' extension based on monthly income to a marriage ext based on lump sum which would have been in place for at least 8 months...

Just looking ahead to next year.

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Is it easy to change from a retirement "O' extension based on monthly income to a marriage ext based on lump sum which would have been in place for at least 8 months...

Yes and the 400k baht would only have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

On a similar note:

Just looking ahead to next year.

The only possible issue is that a strict immigration office might insist that you show evidence that you met all of the conditions for the retirement extension throughout the previous year (or at least the first nine months following the extension date).

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The only possible issue is that a strict immigration office might insist that you show evidence that you met all of the conditions for the retirement extension throughout the previous year (or at least the first nine months following the extension date).

That is correct if using the 800k baht in the bank option for the extension based upon retirement.

For the income option there is no requirement to maintain the 65k baht income proof unless using it for the next extension.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct if using the 800k baht in the bank option for the extension based upon retirement.

For the income option there is no requirement to maintain the 65k baht income proof unless using it for the next extension.

Is that also true for a further retirement extension? That is, can you stop sending regular payments to your Thai bank account, and simply ensure that you have 800k baht in the account for the three months before the renewal?

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I'm considering changing from retirement ext'n based on 65k per month which I have now to a marriage ext'n based on 400k which is in place now.

Doing the exchange when the ext'n is due next year.

Do you foresee any issues?

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Is that also true for a further retirement extension? That is, can you stop sending regular payments to your Thai bank account, and simply ensure that you have 800k baht in the account for the three months before the renewal?

Yes it is.