TV movies etc for a dummy.

DrJack54

I realize been asked previously however perhaps current option ideas appreciated.

So I'm in a condo. Has internet but not suitable for TV. 

I'm looking for advice on what to buy in order to watch shows in English, be that movies or lifestyle etc. Not a fan of the round ball game so cuts out lot of sport needs.

My current TV options are 2 movie channels and rest are Thai. 

Is it as simple as buying a package from mob such as TRUE.

I assume I need sort of set top box or whatever.

Cannot have cable from street. Also don't want to run it through computer or phone.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Get yourself an android box hook it to your TV and download IPTV smarters from google play app for few dollars a year and you will have like 15,000 channels from all over the world for your viewing pleasure...

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=got it iptv player&c=apps&hl=en_AU&gl=US

If my TV is a SMART tv would it still require "android box"

Any particular box recommended? 

@DrJack54 "So I'm in a condo. Has internet but not suitable for TV."

Can you explain a little more about why it's not suitable?

Did you mean that you only have very slow internet?

Or, did you mean that the condo cannot get cable TV via satellite dish or via already installed wiring?

If you have slow internet then an Android box may not function well.  You may be able to upgrade your internet service if speed is the problem.  Are you the one paying the internet bill or is it provided by the landlord?

With those questions answered you will get lots of answers and a few options to choose from.

4 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

@DrJack54 "So I'm in a condo. Has internet but not suitable for TV."

Can you explain a little more about why it's not suitable?

Did you mean that you only have very slow internet?

Or, did you mean that the condo cannot get cable TV via satellite dish or via already installed wiring?

If you have slow internet then an Android box may not function well.  You may be able to upgrade your internet service if speed is the problem.  Are you the one paying the internet bill or is it provided by the landlord?

With those questions answered you will get lots of answers and a few options to choose from.

Thanks.

As for the internet in room.....It's a paid option. 300baht/month.

I use it for my phone. The way it works is that you sign in every time you wish to connect. It only allows one person to connect at a time. My gf has her own data package so it's not a big deal.

Basically I have sort of ruled out the option of using the condos internet and not allowed to have cable etc.

I just assumed best option would be some sort of package from internet companies. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

As for the internet in room.....It's a paid option. 300baht/month.

I use it for my phone. The way it works is that you sign in every time you wish to connect. It only allows one person to connect at a time. My gf has her own data package so it's not a big deal.

Basically I have sort of ruled out the option of using the condos internet and not allowed to have cable etc.

I just assumed best option would be some sort of package from internet companies. 

You mean a phone package ? your not allowed to get an normal internet package in your condo ? 

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you own or rent?

Relocate? And yes, I am being serious.

Without your own dedicated fiber internet/TV (no one pulls coax anymore) you're hosed. 

+1

You could put up with a 'hotspot' system, where you sign-in every time, but it will be a ball ache. That's what you have in a hotel. 

You could petition your landlord to change the system but in this day and age you need your own independent line, may be better to just move to somewhere a little more modern.

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

You mean a phone package ? your not allowed to get an normal internet package in your condo ? 

That's just me not being clear.

The condo building  would not allow any cables etc into building. 

So I think that leaves me with internet options. I see these set top boxes (however I'm likely not using correct term) 

Obviously I've seen things such as pic attached (from companies such as TRUE) 

Can't have sat dish and anyway my impression is that's not common now. 

There there are other boxes. 

Screenshot_20210918-114649~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, recom273 said:

+1

You could put up with a 'hotspot' system, where you sign-in every time, but it will be a ball ache. That's what you have in a hotel. 

You could petition your landlord to change the system but in this day and age you need your own independent line, may be better to just move to somewhere a little more modern.

Thanks. As mentioned earlier. Love the condo. Perfect for me so can't move. 

What I have currently is coaxial cable tv. Has 2 movie channels in English. That's about it.

Only so many times you can watch Godfather 1,2,3

Wait...being weekend I can watch Iron chef and Take me out Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54

50 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

No need to buy an android box, just save those and many more

if you search Google in your browser, heres 3 samples

https://fmovies.to/home      flixtor.to/home    www2.cmovies.ac

regards worgeordie

Those do indeed look very promising!  Thank you.  I wonder how they produce revenue.  I have excellent ad-blocking on my desktops so I don't see any.

A set top box is the least of your worries, any system needs a reliable internet service.

By the way, what is your usual current internet speed. Try speedtest.net.

Does your condo have an existing copper wired telephone or something more modern? 

If so, maybe FTTN or ADSL may be viable from a street connection to existing telephone cabling.

A seamless internet connection via a mobile SIM modem with an unlimited hi-speed mobile provider subject to local tower position is possible for under 1000/baht a month.

But you are more subject to provider speed throttling to maximize profits than fixed internet.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

A seamless internet connection via a mobile SIM modem with an unlimited hi-speed mobile provider subject to local tower position is possible for under 1000/baht a month.

I think this is what I'm after. 

Something independent of my condo. I just checked speed of my connection to phone now and it states 15mps. 

I'm central Bangkok so I imagined that a package with I internet provider (perhaps true) might have been best option. 

Posted to ask if there was any other suggestions. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Those do indeed look very promising!  Thank you.  I wonder how they produce revenue.  I have excellent ad-blocking on my desktops so I don't see any.

Yes use adblocker , and  don't use any sites you have to give details or sign into,

I have been using these and several more sites and never have had a problem

with viruses or any other malware. maybe from people who don't have ad blockers. 

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Something independent of my condo. I just checked speed of my connection to phone now and it states 15mps. 

I'm central Bangkok so I imagined that a package with I internet provider (perhaps true) might have been best option. 

True and best option are mutually exclusive in my books.

I had two contracts with True and they like my ex thought that a badly serviced business arrangement was forever, both made cancellation as difficult as possible.

On my unlimited SIM data plan True would throttle the speed back to make it unviable then offer me an expensive option for daily paid speed boosts. 

What a business model!

I think you suggested them coz you like their STB IDTV package.

Have you looked at AIS Play besides True IDTV, both platforms are actually offered on Smart TV apps ie no STB required. 

Also most modern Smart TV's have apps for Netflix and Youtube and a web browser for watching movies, live TV, YouTube etc.

DTAC are also providers of unlimited hi-speed SIM internet.

15Mbps internet speed is OK but you would need 25Mbps for Netflix UHD.

4G SIM speeds can be 100+ Mbps so your current plan is likely throttled.

Personally I would also test AIS and DTAC signals from your condo.

Don't get a pocket SIM modem if you go this way. Get a home-type SIM modem/wifi router with decent antenna once you have settled on a plan.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Yes use adblocker , and  don't use any sites you have to give details or sign into,

I have been using these and several more sites and never have had a problem

with viruses or any other malware. maybe from people who don't have ad blockers. 

regards worgeordie

I just installed Adblocker and I am getting more ads to buy Adblocker than I normally would without it. ????

• Haha 2

I'd talk to neighbors to see what they're doing for broadband.

I'd be shocked that all the people who live is this building are getting by without broadband?

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My current TV

Can you share the make/model and approx. age? Does it support WiFi or ethernet? Does it have an HDMI input?

Without dedicated broadband your only option is the 4G router option which LosLobo has mentioned. With that you may be challenged by bandwidth and/or volume limitations.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Way too many cooks on your thread.

First thing to do is to check what speeds you can get on your current 4G SIM(if it isn't a 4G SIM then get it updated) Which network currently? Which mobile phone?

Once it is determined that you can get a high enough throughput via mobile Internet, then it will be time to cancel the nonsense 300 baht a month that you are paying for a single connection to WiFi(Ridiculous, especially as it is no hassle for then to give you two or three connections).

Currently this month there are 15 & 20 Mbps unlimited mobile Internet packages offered; for as little as 125 baht per month. So if 20 Mbps is achievable via any network SIM; it will be more than adequate to your usage.

Even 10 Mbps is more than adequate for Full HD media. 

So...let's start by sorting the Internet issue and then move on to the media solution.

In fact you CAN use your current Internet setup for the TV; but then you won't be able to use it for anything else. So effectively, you would be paying 300 baht a month just to feed the TV.

With a mobile Internet package and a 4G router, you can have up to 32 devices connected.

But let us begin with your current mobile network, approx. age of SIM and exact model of mobile phone, so that we can determine if they are suitable for running the tests.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I'd talk to neighbors to see what they're doing for broadband.

I'd be shocked that all the people who live is this building are getting by without broadband?

Can you share the make/model and approx. age? Does it support WiFi or ethernet? Does it have an HDMI input?

Without dedicated broadband your only option is the 4G router option which LosLobo has mentioned. With that you may be challenged by bandwidth and/or volume limitations.

Bandwidth and volume limitations are no longer an issue. You are harking back to many years ago.

Now there are simply issues of location; in other words, if a poor signal in your accommodation.

Clearly they do have broadband and he is paying 300 baht per month for it.

Clearly if his TV is a SMART TV it's going to support WiFi and have HDMI. 

In fact he could use it together with the 300 baht condo HotSpot to stream via the TV and also download stuff via PC on to a USB Flash drive to play via the TV; but it's a relatively poor and fiddly option.

Better to have a mobile Internet connection; even using the phone as a stopgap. Then many more options are open, including an Android box.

So at the moment, the Internet connection is far more important than what TV is being utilised.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Currently this month there are 15 & 20 Mbps unlimited mobile Internet packages offered; for as little as 125 baht per month.

I would be surprised at that price. Have you read the fine print? Usually with these unlimited plans there is a set quota after which the speed reverts back to 384Kbps.

As an aside, True and AIS have 5G TV media-bundled truly unlimited packages @1Gbps for 1,199 baht ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Bandwidth and volume limitations are no longer an issue. You are harking back to many years ago.

I disagree internet providers manipulate these to maximize their business model. They are no longer an issue only if you have the money to pay to overcome them, which has always been the case.

Edited by LosLobo

1 minute ago, LosLobo said:

I would be surprised at that price. Have you read the fine print? Usually with these unlimited plans there is a set quota after which the speed reverts back to 384Kbps.

As an aside, True and AIS have 5G TV media-bundled truly unlimited packages @1Gbps for 1,199 baht ????

I don't know why Dr Jack is thanking you for your totally outdated views. The unlimited plans that you described died out years ago and were replaced with plans with speed caps. 

Only idiots or the ignorant subscribe to volume limited plans these days.

I don't like when people question what I state clearly... I am not an idiot. I mean exactly what I write. Unlimited 20 Mbps from 125 baht per month. Clear?

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I don't know why Dr Jack is thanking you for your totally outdated views. The unlimited plans that you described died out years ago and were replaced with plans with speed caps. 

Only idiots or the ignorant subscribe to volume limited plans these days.

I don't like when people question what I state clearly... I am not an idiot. I mean exactly what I write. Unlimited 20 Mbps from 125 baht per month. Clear?

With respect, for the sake of all the "idiots or the ignorant" could you post a link and enlighten us?

Edited by LosLobo

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Better Dr Jack stops Thanking and starts replying. ???? Phone and SIM details as requested ????

Thanks Bruno.

Yes I have thanked all. I'm out of my depth with this stuff.

Was putting together few pics etc to PM you direct.

Think lot of my dumb questions will clog things up.

Just googled a speed test from my cell and seems about 15mps.

My tv is 65" 6 series Samsung. However that's another issue. 

The tv works fine and shows it as Smart tv etc. Now for the kicker. 

Did something stupid and purchased it from Shopee store online. I cannot obtain English language options. Before anyone just assumes user stupidity.

I had the 'condo guys' try and install tv. They do it a LOT. No success. Then had an "expert" in. Still not able to obtain English.

Think only main ones Thai and Korean. 

Don't worry already beat myself up about this. On positive side the picture is good.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Seems to have most connections available and even recognizes my condo wireless internet however want to avoid what the condo has. 

Screenshot_20210919-131420.jpg

IMG_20210919_131341_414.jpg

Screenshot_20210919-131247.jpg

IMG_20210919_130332_265.jpg