TV movies etc for a dummy.

DrJack54

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Buy an unlimited 10 Mbps SIM pack from Truemove H that lasts for a year and costs 1890 baht

So that speed ok to watch a movie,? 

Obviously will also check out DTAC to compare.

Sounds like you might lean to the later.

If you are keen to try out all of the options in order to be sure that you have made the best choice regardless of price; then also pick up an AIS SIM for 50 baht and do the top up thing if necessary. AIS SIM usually comes with a starting data allowance; so probably no need to do a top up before running a speed test. If the others both fail to supply a full 20 Mbps and AIS can; then you might choose to pay AIS 300 baht per month for the higher speed. In that case I would recommend you try all three SIM networks tomorrow and then make a decision based on that data.

Just now, Bruno123 said:

If you are keen to try out all of the options in order to be sure that you have made the best choice regardless of price; then also pick up an AIS SIM for 50 baht and do the top up thing if necessary. AIS SIM usually comes with a starting data allowance; so probably no need to do a top up before running a speed test. If the others both fail to supply a full 20 Mbps and AIS can; then you might choose to pay AIS 300 baht per month for the higher speed. In that case I would recommend you try all three SIM networks tomorrow and then make a decision based on that data.

Will do.

Finally I have something to do on my "to do list" 

The final hurdle will be the tv itself. 

Again ta for all advice.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

So that speed ok to watch a movie,? 

Obviously will also check out DTAC to compare.

Sounds like you might lean to the later.

15 Mbps more than enough for Full HD streaming. 

I am not leaning towards any in particular, especially since your location determines which is best. My advice would be to test them all and to pick the one with the most stable speeds as shown by the tests.

Stability and a solid connection.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Bruno.

Yes I have thanked all. I'm out of my depth with this stuff.

Was putting together few pics etc to PM you direct.

Think lot of my dumb questions will clog things up.

Just googled a speed test from my cell and seems about 15mps.

My tv is 65" 6 series Samsung. However that's another issue. 

The tv works fine and shows it as Smart tv etc. Now for the kicker. 

Did something stupid and purchased it from Shopee store online. I cannot obtain English language options. Before anyone just assumes user stupidity.

I had the 'condo guys' try and install tv. They do it a LOT. No success. Then had an "expert" in. Still not able to obtain English.

Think only main ones Thai and Korean. 

Don't worry already beat myself up about this. On positive side the picture is good.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Seems to have most connections available and even recognizes my condo wireless internet however want to avoid what the condo has. 

Screenshot_20210919-131420.jpg

IMG_20210919_131341_414.jpg

Screenshot_20210919-131247.jpg

IMG_20210919_130332_265.jpg

To confirm that it is not...ahem...user error, can you take a picture of the screen menu where you change the language?

IMHO the odds of it being only in Thai and Korean....are nil.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

IMHO the odds of it being only in Thai and Korean....are nil

So I have already given many thanking you emojis.....

Now comes the biggie. I followed simple instructions on the vids that @Bruno123 supplied and low and behold now have English.

Yes those reading pointing stupid stick at me and that's fair enough.

However I did have a Thai TV set up guy come to condo. When after long time of trying unsuccessfully he could not change to English I just accepted it.

Supposedly (according to the maintenance guys in condo) he is internet/TV whiz.

He needs view the "change of language" vids posted by Bruno.

SO happy that the language is in English. Big thanks.

Good example of helpfulness of AseanNow now and some switched on members. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Internet update?

Did not do those speed checks today. As mentioned none of this is urgent. Thanks to your advice I think I'm aware of next steps. 

This is unrelated but with regards to the tv, now that's it's English language I have been able to look at few things. 

Everytime you turn tv on it shows green strip and is wanting to agree to terms and conditions etc. Seems weird but wants wifi/internet. See attached pics.

I realize this is separate from all the selection of wifi package and which company to use. In reality that most likely be True unless speed tests show significant difference.

I'm also considering option of having router or whatever is needed and have someone install. 

IMG_20210921_181704_874.jpg

IMG_20210921_181832_059.jpg

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Did not do those speed checks today. As mentioned none of this is urgent. Thanks to your advice I think I'm aware of next steps. 

This is unrelated but with regards to the tv, now that's it's English language I have been able to look at few things. 

Everytime you turn tv on it shows green strip and is wanting to agree to terms and conditions etc. Seems weird but wants wifi/internet. See attached pics.

I realize this is separate from all the selection of wifi package and which company to use. In reality that most likely be True unless speed tests show significant difference.

I'm also considering option of having router or whatever is needed and have someone install. 

IMG_20210921_181704_874.jpg

IMG_20210921_181832_059.jpg

It's urgent in the sense that you cannot do anything else without it. You would still need a get a new Truemove H SIM anyway. So on what basis have you decided for Truemove H? That you are happy to pay the highest possible amount in order to receive 15 Mbps?? I suggest AIS for possibly higher speeds or DTAC on price. Makes no sense to get another new Truemove H SIM without knowing the possible performance of the others, regardless of cost.

Router does not need installing. Get the SIMs and tests done. It's holding everything else up and you are losing sight of the goal. DTAC and AIS SIM asap. Focus!

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bear in mind that the 20 Mbps promos might only be available up until to the end of this month. So get the SIMs asap.

They may continue to offer 20 Mbps; but there is no guarantee. Up until recently 10 Mbps has been the norm.

Get it done; no procrastinating ????

Edited by Bruno123

So earlier today I spent time doing setup for tv. That required internet.

Finally was able to use my cell as a hotspot for tv. With the cell being connected to condo wifi.

Checked few things like watching music through internet. Worked perfect. 

Yes the next step will be sim with a data package however will wait on that for time being. 

So back to the topic of thread.

I will continue as someone may be in similar situation and looking for TV options. 

So update...

I now have my phone connected to condo wifi. You have to sign in. 

I then connect TV via hotspot from phone. That's fine currently watching movies, music ext via YouTube. Picture brilliant.

One thing that had caused me confusion is cost of my room wifi.

Apparently since we have the larger room the wifi and carpark is included.

The 300baht I referred to early in thread is what I pay for data per month on my phone when we travel.

The next step will be to look into options for TV packages such as Amazon etc. 

Might not even need that.

The short term "irritation" is need to connect TV via hotspot. Going through the steps to connect tv to the phone hotspot. Only takes seconds but.....

Apart from that issue, the pic is great.

The speed measured few times is 18mbps+. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question regarding Netflix.

So have been watching YouTube using my phone as hotspot to my TV.

All good no issues. Limited content.

So friend of my gf has Netflix subscription. Apparently it has 4 available 'connections'. 

She gave the account and password to my gf. 

Anyway I told her that it won't work in our condo. However have been watching Netflix for last few days. No issue. 

Normal?