TV movies etc for a dummy.

DrJack54

39 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Phone and SIM details as requested

My phone is just new. It's a Infinix hot 10. Basic phone but suits my needs. Not sure why the phone is important. However as mentioned have zero expertise.

I have a True sim however I only use it when travel outside bkk. Even then just basic data package for YouTube music etc.

Bruno: just realized your question about my cell was to test what speed etc my area will provide wifi wise? 

Screenshot_20210919-134443.jpg

Screenshot_20210919-135729.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My phone is just new. It's a Infinix hot 10. Basic phone but suits my needs. Not sure why the phone is important. However as mentioned have zero expertise.

I have a True sim however I only use it when travel outside bkk. Even then just basic data package for YouTube music etc.

Bruno: just realized your question about my cell was to test what speed etc my area will provide wifi wise? 

I only need facts; not here to make style choices about your phone ????

image.png.22acd69ac1568f37933d325e2a32b203.png

This shows that your phone covers the frequencies needed for 4G service for all of the main networks; so that is good.

Also checked that your phone is Dual SIM, so that means no hassle involved with your getting a new SIM and number if necessary. It also means that you can use your phone as a HotSpot; at least until your decide to obtain a dedicated 4G router.

Step by step....

So, we can start by running a speed test with Truemove H, your current provider.

Just buy a cheap day pack, say 200 MB for 17 baht and then run speed tests with https://testmy.net at various locations within your apartment to see where you get your optimal speed.

Scroll down to the Full Speed options on this page: https://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/upgrade_option/prepaid?ln=en&shelf=data_prepaid

100 MB or 200 MB will do for the tests. So top up at least 20 baht and then apply a small Full Speed pack.

Turn off WiFi on the phone in so that you aren't accidentally connected to WiFi and instead testing the WiFi connection. We are testing solely the Truemove H mobile connection at this stage.

15 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

at least until your decide to obtain a dedicated 4G router

First up thanks for taking the time to provide so much advice. 

I quoted one sentence of yours above. Is it silly to just obtain a 4g router straight up. I mean after checking the speed as you outlined. 

Are the boxes you refer to the same as in attachment.

Screenshot_20210919-144649.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

With respect, for the sake of all the "idiots or the ignorant" could you post a link and enlighten us?

My word is good enough.

Your confusion lies in your repeating the mis-description by the networks of those plans that gave a normal(fast) connection measured in GBs followed by a throttled connection, as "Unlimited". Marketing.

In fact that have the whole thing the wrong way around. Because they used Unlimited already(for plans that did not really fit the description), they now use 'non-stop' for these actually unlimited plans.

Should have been the other way around; as people then were more annoyed about the credit running out after their mobile allowance ran out. So those 'Unlimited' plans were introduced. But they should have been called 'non-stop'.

Rest assured, the packages of which I write are unlimited and not throttled when utilised for domestic purpose. You can use hundreds of GBs without concern.

*ignorant', meaning that they don't know. e.g. Ignorant of the fact.

Idiots, meaning that they have actually seen these plans described, but simply think they know better.

No personal slight intended; I just don't like to waste my time arguing for nothing.

My information is correct and up to date.

Edited by Bruno123

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up thanks for taking the time to provide so much advice. 

I quoted one sentence of yours above. Is it silly to just obtain a 4g router straight up. I mean after checking the speed as you outlined. 

Are the boxes you refer to the same as in attachment.

Screenshot_20210919-144649.jpg

Focus on the Internet...you are drifting. Internet first; media solution after.

We will cover everything. I might know my onions on this subject; others can cover Android boxes.

But for now, we take it step by step. We check speeds, find the best network, then we can look at 4G routers and media solutions(Yours looks like an Android TV, so there may be options built in; we can look at that once we have fixed an Internet source).

We don't need to look at routers and media solutions at this moment, as a versatile Internet connection might solve all of your issues in the first place.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Turn WiFi OFF!

I don't need to see the speed of your WiFi connection.

Top up Truemove H SIM with 20 baht and apply the package suggested. Then run a speed test.

40 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

We are testing solely the Truemove H mobile connection at this stage.

One last dumb question from me.

So the gf also uses True sim and has a monthly data package. 

So I can just do the speed test with her phone. She doesn't use condo wifi.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

One last dumb question from me.

So the gf also uses True sim and has a monthly data package. 

So I can just do the speed test with her phone. She doesn't use condo wifi.

Is she there now? If not, you are wasting time over 10 or 20 baht. 

No good waiting for her to turn up and then having to restart the whole thread again. Plus we have no idea as to what package she has. Please, get it done now with no more questions, so that we can move on to the next part.

Edited by Bruno123

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Is she there now? If not, you are wasting time over 10 or 20 baht. 

No good waiting for her to turn up and then having to restart the whole thread again. Get it done now so that we can move on to the next part.

Her cell now

Screenshot_20210919-152238.jpg

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

What is her phone model? 

I've taken too much of your time already.

I will talk to true and buy data to check speed.

She just informs me that she buys slow package 4mpbs. 

So it's most likely down to that. Her cell is an S20.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Please Dr Jack...stop complicating everything. ????

I asked you to complete a simple task but instead you have introduced your girlfriend and used a totally different speedtest than suggested.

So let's bring it all back together and forget the time wasted. Let's start again. Pretend that I just wrote this:

Step by step....

So, we can start by running a speed test with Truemove H, your current provider.

Just buy a cheap day pack, say 200 MB for 17 baht and then run speed tests with https://testmy.net at various locations within your apartment to see where you get your optimal speed.

Scroll down to the Full Speed options on this page: https://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/upgrade_option/prepaid?ln=en&shelf=data_prepaid 

You don't need to "talk to True". Just enable data and click through the link above to buy the suggested package.

100 MB or 200 MB will do for the tests. So top up at least 20 baht and then apply a small Full Speed pack.

Turn off WiFi on the phone in so that you aren't accidentally connected to WiFi and instead testing the WiFi connection. We are testing solely the Truemove H mobile connection at this stage.

I hope that she doesn't pay more than 150 baht per month for that.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't worry about time. It takes as long as it takes; moving forward is what is important.

Ideally, you want to go for DTAC, as it's the cheapest. So if Truemove H doesn't come up to scratch, then you'll have to shell out 50 baht for a DTAC SIM. In fact, even if Truemove H does come up to scratch, I still recommend trying out a DTAC SIM; as if it works, it will be considerably cheaper than the other networks.

With DTAC you'll be paying 125 baht per month equivalent. With AIS and Truemove H, 300 baht.

But none of it means anything if you cannot obtain the speeds at your particular location. So that is why we spend the time on this. The time is not a problem for me; so don't stress about that. I already made dinner and ate it whilst communicating with you and others.

22 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Don't worry about time. It takes as long as it takes; moving forward is what is important.

Thanks Bruno, 

I will follow your advice re the buy data and do speed tests tomorrow. 

Sounds weird but I don't use phone in typical way. If I need data the gf buys using her phone. 

I don't even use my cell for phone calls using True. 

BTW the gf is paying 321baht per month. Only free extra is free calls to True customers.

Just read your post above. Re about the speed.....if I get gf to put credit on my account now then maybe it will be 4mbps same as hers. 

I realize this next comment is another Simplist one.....I will be surprised if my location is issue for speed give central location Bangkok and room is on outside of building with Balconies etc. 

Anyway will get data tomorrow separate from having gf top up my sim

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Bruno, 

Sounds weird but I don't use phone in typical way. If I need data the gf buys using her phone. 

Not weird at all. As I wrote; I'm not here to judge; only to help you with your request.

The phone will likely be useful as a temporary HotSpot once we have fixed on the best SIM and package. Then you can have your TV connected and can mess around with the applications on it. Then we can go in to more detail of where to find what.

In the meantime, tell your apartment office that you need as least two connections for your 300 baht; so that you can connect to the TV and your PC at the same time.

Of course you will be rid of them anyway if the mobile providers can supply 10 to 20 Mbps to you, but in the meantime they should accede to your request, as it is perfectly reasonable and they CAN do it.

Routers are not important to you at the moment, though here is a starting point: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-link-tl-mr100-4g-300mbps-wireless-n-4g-lte-router-4g-3-i942206672-s1947378580.html

There is a little slot for a SIM card. Slot your new SIM with it's 20 Mbps package into the slot and the Router turns it into an Internet connection like you use at home.

Your phone can do the same, but is really only for temporary use. 

We are just using the phone for testing purpose.

If we find a network that can supply the speed you need, then we check if the Router covers the frequencies that SIM requires. If so; you can purchase it. Step by step ????

Edited by Bruno123

@Bruno123

Soooo Very helpful and appreciated. 

Side comment. Been Thailand same condo 10 years now and the TV thing has never been a concern. Covid and changes in lifestyle has me looking at more tv options.

Hence there is no immediate rush.

With your advice given I can move to first step of checking speed etc as outlined and links you provided also look into the provider you suggested. 

I won't worry about dealing with condo and will just move to wifi provider when things have been worked out.

BTW I don't even have PC. 

So you have given me the advice for steps to follow and will do that tomorrow.

Cheers.

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Bruno, 

BTW the gf is paying 321baht per month. Only free extra is free calls to True customers.

Just read your post above. Re about the speed.....if I get gf to put credit on my account now then maybe it will be 4mbps same as hers. 

I realize this next comment is another Simplist one.....I will be surprised if my location is issue for speed give central location Bangkok and room is on outside of building with Balconies etc. 

Girlfriend only needs to top up 20 baht for you and then tap in *900*3301# to your keypad and hit the Dial key. That will subtract 9.63 baht from the 20 baht of credit and give you 100 MB of data for the testing.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

@Bruno123

Side comment. Been Thailand same condo 10 years now and the TV thing has never been a concern. Covid and changes in lifestyle has me looking at more tv options.

With your advice given I can move to first step of checking speed etc as outlined and links you provided also look into the provider you suggested. 

I won't worry about dealing with condo and will just move to wifi provider when things have been worked out.

Cheers.

So how are you writing to me? Via the mobile phone on the condo WiFi??

Just now, DrJack54 said:

@Bruno123

Cheers.

I can see that the connection will benefit you in many ways. It's not just about TV options.

But that alone will allow you to use your TV and phone properly. Annoying to have to sign in to use your phone every time.

The TV stuff will begin to work itself out once you have connected up via WiFi. You can mess around with it whenever you aren't using the phone, as you still can connect to the TV using the condo Internet.

You don't need to look into any providers. No need. Just relax ???? Just follow the simple instructions and you'll be sorted for Internet.

Then I'm sure you'll be bombarded with ideas for media; which you then can spend time exploring.

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Bruno, 

I realize this next comment is another Simplist one.....I will be surprised if my location is issue for speed give central location Bangkok and room is on outside of building with Balconies etc

In this case, whilst you are out tomorrow, purchase a DTAC SIM. Should cost no more than 50 baht; register it, top it up with 20 baht, take it home, put it in the phone, apply *104*851*9# and then hit the dial key. Then run the tests and hope for the best.

If it can do a steady 10 to 20 Mbps, you are happy. Then we can move forward. I will show you where to obtain the correct SIM. Looks to be around 1500 baht. It's a promo for this month; so a good thing to grab if you need it.

@Bruno123 

So I put some data on MY phone and hit link you provided. 

Pics attached. Upload and download

Screenshot_20210919-172201.jpg

Screenshot_20210919-172236.jpg

Good enough.

You have a few choices open to you.

Buy an unlimited 10 Mbps SIM pack from Truemove H that lasts for a year and costs 1890 baht.

or

Obtain a new Truemove H SIM and apply the 20 Mbps package for 300 baht per month and accept that you will be getting 15 Mbps for 300 baht per month

or 

Try out the DTAC SIM to see if you will get the full 20 Mbps and a possible cheaper deal.

• Thanks 1