Current information regarding returning to Thailand, fully vaccinated

7 hours ago, notrub said:

22 09 2021

First, thank you for your time and patience, it has been a big help.

For the vaccines accepted by France I just came across the following:

What vaccines are recognized by France and what conditions must be respected?

The vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency ( EMA ) are Comirnaty (Pfizer & BioNTech), Spikevax (Moderna), COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen and Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) as well as their equivalents *  ; in particular the Covid-19 vaccine Astra-Zeneca produced in Thailand.

As the list of vaccines recognized by the AEM is evolving, keep yourself regularly informed of updates on the website of the National Agency for the Safety of Medicines and Health Products (ANSM) .

* For equivalents: Download “The list of names of vaccines similar to those authorized in Europe, by country. " '

Does anyone have information about whether the Astra Zeneca produced in Thailand is now accepted by France?  (see first paragraph).

I checked on the price of insurance, thank you, and for 90 days it is 12,000 baht.

When BKK 'opens up' does that mean current obligatory quarantine will not be required?

I am beginning to understand the COE document but it is a sharp learning curve for me.  I don't know about my vaccine so I cannot book a flight but I think I can assemble the rest.

France has its own regulations regarding entry etc. and trying to satisfy the requirements of both countries is very confusing and difficult (communicating in English, French and Thai).  (my head is exploding).

If the Thai version of AZ is acceptable, what is the spacing between shots? Anybody know?  My first shot was Sinovac then AZ on 03 09 '21.  If I can get another AZ Thai version I must have had the shot 8 days b4 going to France on 18 10 '21.  So that makes 6 weeks since the last AZ vaccination.  Is that OK?

Thanks again.

If you are on retirement extension you need to get medical insurance up to the date of your next extension,  if you get  90 days you'll be stamped for 90 days.

On 9/21/2021 at 4:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

This site offers insurance up to the age of 99 and it is the same cost for all ages.

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

At this site the following pops up:

“ For Visa type : Non-O (Retirement), Long Stay O-A, O-X , STV , a separate Health Insurance Policy is required. The limit sum insured for In-Patient is not less than THB 400,000 and for Out-Patient is not less than THB 40,000 ”

To apply the Online Health Policy, please click https://longstay.tgia.org

I thought those on Non-O reentry permit need only the 100k Covid insurance? Is this only for new visas?

17 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I thought those on Non-O reentry permit need only the 100k Covid insurance? Is this only for new visas?

What that site says really means nothing. It is just meant to be a reminder and/or a sales pitch.

It is not a requirement for the certificate of entry. For the non-o is is only needed for the a new non-o visa.

But there are a few embassies that want 40/400k in every case to approve the certificate of entry.

1 hour ago, notrub said:

Thanks for that Brit Tim,  I had no bad side effect from either the Sinovac or the Astra Zeneca, not even a sniffle.  From what I can gather the shorter time interval results in less efficacy but having had the Sinovac already as the first shot some time ago that gives a bit of extra insurance, so to speak.  What do you think about the statement on the French government website noted above.  'Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) as well as their equivalents *  ; in particular the Covid-19 vaccine Astra-Zeneca produced in Thailand.'  Does that mean the Thai Astra Zenca is accepted?  It seems a bit tacked on to me.  Thanks again.

I do not recommend you place any reliance on my gut opinion. For what it is worth, I believe the Thai manufactured AstraZeneca will be acceptable unless (and I would not discount the possibility) there is bad publicity around the Thailand manufacturing plant, suggesting inadequate QA.

17 hours ago, notrub said:

Thanks for that Brit Tim,  I had no bad side effect from either the Sinovac or the Astra Zeneca, not even a sniffle.  From what I can gather the shorter time interval results in less efficacy but having had the Sinovac already as the first shot some time ago that gives a bit of extra insurance, so to speak.  What do you think about the statement on the French government website noted above.  'Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) as well as their equivalents *  ; in particular the Covid-19 vaccine Astra-Zeneca produced in Thailand.'  Does that mean the Thai Astra Zenca is accepted?  It seems a bit tacked on to me.  Thanks again.

If that is from an actual French government website then yes, it does. If in any doubt you should ask the French Embassy here.

Minimum interval between AZ shots is 4 weeks but in Thailand they seldom give it sooner than 12 weeks.

Thank you Sheryl,  Yes, it is from a French government website located following some links that are hard to find, but it is there.

'European Medicines Agency ( EMA ) are Comirnaty (Pfizer & BioNTech), Spikevax (Moderna), COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen and Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) as well as their equivalents *  ; in particular the Covid-19 vaccine Astra-Zeneca produced in Thailand.'

I am going to take a chance and have a second Thai AZ early next month (4 weeks) as I have read that in some cases this is standard practice.  I have had the Sinovac earlier too.

I hope things become more clear b4 my flight on the 18th next month.  I don't want to be arguing the toss at the boarding gate w/o more than a cut and paste statement to back me up,

Very interesting flight bookings on Skyscanner.  'Look out for airlines with guaranteed flexible ticket terms. Other providers may have different policies.'

My Air France booking offers this ticket changing service at no extra charge.  Not on all flights.

Thanks again for your help and patience Sheryl.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, notrub said:

How would they, or you, know which AZ you got? Is the source of the AZ noted someplace on your record? Note that not all AZ administered in Thailand was made in Thailand.

5 hours ago, mbenson said:

How would they, or you, know which AZ you got? Is the source of the AZ noted someplace on your record? Note that not all AZ administered in Thailand was made in Thailand.

I received AZ at Bang Sue. It was made in Thailand.

My Thai gf received AZ (different location) and noted on her form "AZ Japan"

I found the amended list on the French Government website (already posted).  It states that AZ is approved, particularly the version produced in Thailand.  I wrote to the French Consulate in Khone Kaen to confirm and he replied as follows: I believe sinovac is not recognized however Astrazeneca is acceptable.

So, I am going ahead with a second shot of Thai AZ 4 weeks after my first.  (this is commonly done in some countries).

Regards insurance:  ubonjoe comments that the $100,000 covid insurance is not required for those who hold existing 'O' visas.  I have had my current non 'O' visa since 2018.  Does that mean I do not need this covid insurance?  (I checked and can have 90 days for 12,000 baht if I must have it).

Finally:  If BKK 'opens up' in November does that mean a 2 week quarantine session on arrival would no longer be required?  I will have had multiple vaccinations and recent tests to show I am not infected when I return.  I could spend an extra week or so in France and arrive early November if it would avoid a quarantine.

It is taking a while but the comments and advice that I am getting on this forum has been a big help.  Thank you.

Travel these days is not for the fainthearted that is for sure.  I just want to stay home.  (See pic attached.)

20210918_094338.jpg

15 minutes ago, notrub said:

Regards insurance:  ubonjoe comments that the $100,000 covid insurance is not required for those who hold existing 'O' visas. 

I did not say that. It is required for all entries and it does not matter what visa you have.

I only stated that the 40/400k baht medical is not required but it can depend upon the embassy where you apply for the certificate of entry(COE).

On 9/22/2021 at 7:27 PM, pixelaoffy said:
On 9/22/2021 at 7:16 PM, Sheryl said:

Not happening. Pushed back to November (no date specified).

Really important if its November 1st Can wait till then  but if its later Nov then its ASQ Really wish they would be specific 

There is the possibility that ‘reopening’ simply means continued Sandbox style CoE application, but can go to anywhere in Thailand rather than have to go to remain with ASQ or Phuket Sandbox / Samui Plus.

Thus: (I may be wrong) but I suspect the CoE system will remain so they can continue to ensure that all arrivals are vaccinated, but potential locations open up. Those not vaccinated may well have to continue with ASQ (quarantine). 

On 9/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, notrub said:

I have been asking some questions about my upcoming short trip to France and back.  Is there an official site giving up to date correct information regarding returning to Thailand as a resident, please?  I am married (Thai), have a yellow book, a pink card, DL and, of course, my valid retirement visa in my UK passport.  I will be out of Thailand for one week.  I will be getting an exit/return form from my local immigration office and could also ask for other documents to facilitate my re-entry, if I know what they are called. 

Seems you are on an extensions of stay (based on Marriage). You can obtain a Single or Multiple re-entry permit at your local Immigration office or at the Airport upon departure. 

The process you will need to go through is Certificate of Entry (CoE).

First you will need to decide if you wish to:

A) - ASQ - Quarantine for 15 nights at a Hotel in Bangkok (you cannot leave the room) 

B) - ALQ - Local Quarantine for 15 nights at a Hotel in other approved areas (you cannot leave the room) 

C) - Phuket Sandbox - 14 nights SHA+ accommodation on Phuket (free to roam the island).

D) - Samui Plus - 14 nights SHA+ accommodation on Samui (cannot leave hotel grounds for 1st 7 days).

C - Phuket Sandbox is clearly the best option.

On 9/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, notrub said:

Any comments please?  Going to a 'sandbox' area for 2 weeks is not an option that I want to consider and cannot believe that would be the only solution.  There are multiple flights daily to and from BKK and somebody must be on them.  Thanks for your comments.

IF you chose to travel to Bangkok, your Option is ASQ - (Alternate State Quarantine) which involves staying inside your hotel room for 15 nights. 

Realistically (for those who have been vaccinated) the Phuket Sandbox is a far more viable option - you may wish to reconsider your opinion there. 

There is also discussion that things open up in Nov - that information changes daily, they could push it back another month or continue with quarantine requirements.

39 minutes ago, notrub said:

I found the amended list on the French Government website (already posted).  It states that AZ is approved, particularly the version produced in Thailand.  I wrote to the French Consulate in Khone Kaen to confirm and he replied as follows: I believe sinovac is not recognized however Astrazeneca is acceptable.

Your Thai administers AZ vaccination is approved for re-entry to Thailand. 

Entry in to France is of course a different matter, but I fully expect that it is approved. 

So, I am going ahead with a second shot of Thai AZ 4 weeks after my first.  (this is commonly done in some countries).

To Re-enter Thailand, your second AZ vaccination must be administered 14 days before travel (back to Thailand).

(I’m not sure of the France requirement). 

Regards insurance:  ubonjoe comments that the $100,000 covid insurance is not required for those who hold existing 'O' visas.  I have had my current non 'O' visa since 2018.  Does that mean I do not need this covid insurance?  (I checked and can have 90 days for 12,000 baht if I must have it).

You have an Extension of Stay based on Non-Imm-O Marrage. 

You will still need Covid-19 Insurance and a letter / Certificate which states that you are covered up to (or over) US$100,000 for covid related complications etc (PM, I can send you examples of 2 types of Insurance cover that I have entered with - I’ve entered Thailand 3x over the past 12 months (2x ASQ and 1x Sandbox). 

Finally:  If BKK 'opens up' in November does that mean a 2 week quarantine session on arrival would no longer be required?  I will have had multiple vaccinations and recent tests to show I am not infected when I return.  I could spend an extra week or so in France and arrive early November if it would avoid a quarantine.

As always the details are sketchy - IF Bangkok opens up in Nov 1st it ‘may’ do so in a similar manner to the Phuket Sandbox and still require SHA+ accommodation, vaccines and PCR testing. 

For example - those ‘living’ in Phuket still had to book and stay at SHA+ accommodation which seems an extremely silly rule. 

It is taking a while but the comments and advice that I am getting on this forum has been a big help.  Thank you.

Travel these days is not for the fainthearted that is for sure.  I just want to stay home.  (See pic attached.)

Once you’ve gone through the process its quite simple - its just the unknown and uncertainty that catches some people. 

Sorry, I misunderstood ubonjoe.  It looks like it will be the Phuket option for me.  Any suggestions regarding reasonably priced hotels please?  Also, will my vaccinated Thai wife be allowed to fly down from Buriram and join me?   I went to Phuket nearly 40 years ago and suppose I will be sad to see the destruction that I have read has taken place.

19 hours ago, notrub said:

Sorry, I misunderstood ubonjoe.  It looks like it will be the Phuket option for me.  Any suggestions regarding reasonably priced hotels please?  Also, will my vaccinated Thai wife be allowed to fly down from Buriram and join me?   I went to Phuket nearly 40 years ago and suppose I will be sad to see the destruction that I have read has taken place.

Sorry I cannot help with the hotel question. Do a search for SHA+ hotels.

Your wife can stay with you if she is vaccinated. She will need to be included when you reserve your room.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your Thai administers AZ vaccination is approved for re-entry to Thailand. 

Entry in to France is of course a different matter, but I fully expect that it is approved. 

To Re-enter Thailand, your second AZ vaccination must be administered 14 days before travel (back to Thailand).

(I’m not sure of the France requirement). 

You have an Extension of Stay based on Non-Imm-O Marrage. 

You will still need Covid-19 Insurance and a letter / Certificate which states that you are covered up to (or over) US$100,000 for covid related complications etc (PM, I can send you examples of 2 types of Insurance cover that I have entered with - I’ve entered Thailand 3x over the past 12 months (2x ASQ and 1x Sandbox). 

As always the details are sketchy - IF Bangkok opens up in Nov 1st it ‘may’ do so in a similar manner to the Phuket Sandbox and still require SHA+ accommodation, vaccines and PCR testing. 

For example - those ‘living’ in Phuket still had to book and stay at SHA+ accommodation which seems an extremely silly rule. 

Once you’ve gone through the process its quite simple - its just the unknown and uncertainty that catches some people. 

a total mess. No dates about anything. The Hotel industry dont know what to do. What about those of us with a place to stay in Thailnd? We still have to pay for this ASQ nonsense. 14 days of solitary torture

35 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

a total mess. No dates about anything. The Hotel industry dont know what to do. What about those of us with a place to stay in Thailnd? We still have to pay for this ASQ nonsense. 14 days of solitary torture

Hopefully, it will be changed to a one week quarantine very soon!