Current information regarding returning to Thailand, fully vaccinated

I have been asking some questions about my upcoming short trip to France and back.  Is there an official site giving up to date correct information regarding returning to Thailand as a resident, please?  I am married (Thai), have a yellow book, a pink card, DL and, of course, my valid retirement visa in my UK passport.  I will be out of Thailand for one week.  I will be getting an exit/return form from my local immigration office and could also ask for other documents to facilitate my re-entry, if I know what they are called.  Any comments please?  Going to a 'sandbox' area for 2 weeks is not an option that I want to consider and cannot believe that would be the only solution.  There are multiple flights daily to and from BKK and somebody must be on them.  Thanks for your comments.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1) it is not a "exit/return form from my local immigration office", it is a re-entry stamp in your passport

2) You have to go through the full COE process, no matter how long you stay outside of the country.

3) You have two option for the quarantine: a Sandbox (currently only Phuket available) quarantine or a ASQ quarantine. 

4) Both options require the same paperwork, except the vaccination certificate that you only need for the sandbox. Yellow book, Pink ID card are completely irrelevant. 

As Sheryl said: read the website of the Thai Embassy, where you will apply for the COE to find out, what you need. You can apply for the COE (and even complete the COE) while you are still in Thailand. That is what I did, and since you only want to stay outside for one week, I strongly suggest to start the process in advance to be sure you get the COE in time. I had all the necessary papers (flight reservations, ASQ reservation, health insurance, passport copies including re-entry stamp) and applied and received the COE even before I left Thailand. The only thing I had to do abroad was organize the Covid PCR test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thalueng said:

All posts are accurate. You will have more paperwork with the sandbox (proof of vaccination, arrange and pre-pay 3 covid tests at the sandbox location), and similar over all cost. I'm in Phuket right now, believe me, it's a million times more acceptable than quarantine, I can move around and do, eat, drink etc. what I want. 

What type of proof of vaccination did you present? Is it from your country?

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm a fan of Phuket. More recent years partial to Phuket town small music venues. Jazz Blues style. Obviously some drinks if you want.

My point is that if you offered me free flights etc to Phuket I would knock it back. 

I can understand folk with family etc wanting to come to Thailand. 

As for tourists would need rocks in their head.

We were there about a year ago. Dead, dead, dead. At least the main tourist areas. Really depressing TBH!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 7:12 AM, notrub said:

Going to a 'sandbox' area for 2 weeks is not an option that I want to consider and cannot believe that would be the only solution.  There are multiple flights daily to and from BKK and somebody must be on them.  Thanks for your comments.

By present rules it's 2 weeks hotel quarantine in Bangkok, if you don't want to use a sandbox; however it may change within the next month or so.

18 hours ago, arithai12 said:

...Some questions I would have BEFORE flying out of Thailand: how long does it take to actually obtain the COE? Is my health insurance going to be accepted? These are decisions by the local Embassy, so the fact that they don't answer is a problem.

1. COE usually arrives within a few days (assuming they accept your paperwork), often just a few hours. There are 2 stages to it, pre-approval and the actual issuance of the COE.

2. If a general health policy, your insurance will likely be accepted provided you have a statement from your insurer with the correct language specifying that COVID is covered for at least $100k.  I do not recall anyone with that being denied. If you have COVID specific insurance purchased through the tgia site then will definitely be accepted. I am not sure it is the local embassy which decides this BTW, it may be the MFA. You upload your insurance as part of the online COE application. It is easy enough to do and that is the surest way to find out if it has been accepted. If not you can retry (but I would not bother if it is general health insurance and you do nto have a letter or certificate with the requisite wording).

On 9/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, Swiss1960 said:

1) it is not a "exit/return form from my local immigration office", it is a re-entry stamp in your passport

Overly pedantic IMHO, but maybe its just me? Surely the o/p knows this and he is actually getting the form (TM8) first like he says, fills it in and gets a stamp in pp. Now I'm being pedantic, must be infectious????

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Overly pedantic IMHO, but maybe its just me? Surely the o/p knows this and he is actually getting the form (TM8) first like he says, fills it in and gets a stamp in pp. Now I'm being pedantic, must be infectious????

He had confused COE with re-entry permit.

Until you folks helped me out I didn't even know what a COE was.  Is there an insurance company offering reasonably priced covid cover please?  I am 72 and insurance for people my age gets very costly.  Thanks again for your help and patience.

17 minutes ago, notrub said:

Until you folks helped me out I didn't even know what a COE was.  Is there an insurance company offering reasonably priced covid cover please?  I am 72 and insurance for people my age gets very costly.  Thanks again for your help and patience.

This site offers insurance up to the age of 99 and it is the same cost for all ages.

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

• Thanks 1

What's the best option? Sandbox or Quarantine? I have a 20-year elite visa which will expire, probably after I die. Right now I'm in USA and fully vaccinated. Planning a trip to Thailand in December? I feel Sandbox is better. Any pros and cons? I have a two years old daughter from a 21-year old former poseidon model. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

I am waiting for pre approval confirmation for c of e . What happens when approved, i see no links to enter flight and other asq information, Any advice how and where this is done  on the thai embassy website?

I assume you got the 6 digit code to enter here after clicking one of the buttons shown on the COE site.

image.png.49b9c1141527aae5bda9a35aa017705a.png

You can then upload the missing info.

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

What's the best option? Sandbox or Quarantine? I have a 20-year elite visa which will expire, probably after I die. Right now I'm in USA and fully vaccinated. Planning a trip to Thailand in December? I feel Sandbox is better. Any pros and cons? I have a two years old daughter from a 21-year old former poseidon model. 

Wait a few weeks. Hopefully, the entry rules will be changing.

22 09 2021

First, thank you for your time and patience, it has been a big help.

For the vaccines accepted by France I just came across the following:

What vaccines are recognized by France and what conditions must be respected?

The vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency ( EMA ) are Comirnaty (Pfizer & BioNTech), Spikevax (Moderna), COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen and Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) as well as their equivalents *  ; in particular the Covid-19 vaccine Astra-Zeneca produced in Thailand.

As the list of vaccines recognized by the AEM is evolving, keep yourself regularly informed of updates on the website of the National Agency for the Safety of Medicines and Health Products (ANSM) .

* For equivalents: Download “The list of names of vaccines similar to those authorized in Europe, by country. " '

Does anyone have information about whether the Astra Zeneca produced in Thailand is now accepted by France?  (see first paragraph).

I checked on the price of insurance, thank you, and for 90 days it is 12,000 baht.

When BKK 'opens up' does that mean current obligatory quarantine will not be required?

I am beginning to understand the COE document but it is a sharp learning curve for me.  I don't know about my vaccine so I cannot book a flight but I think I can assemble the rest.

France has its own regulations regarding entry etc. and trying to satisfy the requirements of both countries is very confusing and difficult (communicating in English, French and Thai).  (my head is exploding).

If the Thai version of AZ is acceptable, what is the spacing between shots? Anybody know?  My first shot was Sinovac then AZ on 03 09 '21.  If I can get another AZ Thai version I must have had the shot 8 days b4 going to France on 18 10 '21.  So that makes 6 weeks since the last AZ vaccination.  Is that OK?

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, notrub said:

If the Thai version of AZ is acceptable, what is the spacing between shots? Anybody know?  My first shot was Sinovac then AZ on 03 09 '21.  If I can get another AZ Thai version I must have had the shot 8 days b4 going to France on 18 10 '21.  So that makes 6 weeks since the last AZ vaccination.  Is that OK?

Generally, a two dose course of AstraZeneca uses the rather long gap of 12 weeks between doses. It is known that a shorter gap, down to about four weeks is almost as good. AstraZeneca as a third dose, especially a relatively short time after the second dose, is less tested. However, there would be a higher risk of side effects than with the regular two-dose regime. Most likely, this will be nothing worse than flu-like symptoms for a few days, but rarely worse side effects occur (such as blood clotting) that can be very dangerous unless you receive prompt expert medical treatment.

Thanks for that Brit Tim,  I had no bad side effect from either the Sinovac or the Astra Zeneca, not even a sniffle.  From what I can gather the shorter time interval results in less efficacy but having had the Sinovac already as the first shot some time ago that gives a bit of extra insurance, so to speak.  What do you think about the statement on the French government website noted above.  'Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) as well as their equivalents *  ; in particular the Covid-19 vaccine Astra-Zeneca produced in Thailand.'  Does that mean the Thai Astra Zenca is accepted?  It seems a bit tacked on to me.  Thanks again.