DDC warns those getting Moderna jab as booster to seek doctor’s advice

Jonathan Fairfield

Confused, and worried.

I have had the 'standard' Thai vaccine of Sinovac + Astra Zeneca, but I see that this 'mixed dose is not accepted by UK as sufficient for non-quarantine entry. ( My understanding of UK entry requirements is  vaccine of 2 doses of he same.  I am on a list at local private hosp. for thsi Moderna Vaccine, whihc I was hoping would allow me back to UK.  Now what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Robin said:

Confused, and worried.

I have had the 'standard' Thai vaccine of Sinovac + Astra Zeneca, but I see that this 'mixed dose is not accepted by UK as sufficient for non-quarantine entry. ( My understanding of UK entry requirements is  vaccine of 2 doses of he same.  I am on a list at local private hosp. for thsi Moderna Vaccine, whihc I was hoping would allow me back to UK.  Now what?

A lot of us are in the same boat. Sino+Sino, Sino+Astra, or just Astra+Astra - but since it's the Thai version it won't count in many places. I personally think the divide between 1st world countries and other places will become greater in relation to ease of travel. Where does it leave us? Nowhere if you want to travel right now until Moderna or something lands.

13 minutes ago, Guderian said:

although I realise that the likes of Prayut and Anutin will already have their names down for a booster, lol).

Names down? They were probably given their boosters ages ago. The government runs the country so they need to be protected.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Guderian said:

People should avoid getting boosters at the moment, but not because the benefits are unknown as the article implies, it's because it would be a very selfish thing to do if you've already had two shots while many people here have not even had one yet. It's far better that as many people as possible receive at least one dose of vaccine than that a select few get three doses (although I realise that the likes of Prayut and Anutin will already have their names down for a booster, lol).

You missed the point here. This thread mainly relates to Moderna and private hospitals. These supplies have been prepaid for and the buyers are fully entitled to take it if they want.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

People who have received the sinovac/AZ combo don't need a booster.  AZ is proving to be as effective as the mRNA vaccines, better even at preventing deaths.  The logical booster shot after 6 months would be another AZ.

The only thoroughly researched combos have involved AZ/Pfizer.

The doctor is quite right.

• Thanks 1

Went to a private hospital in Loei couple of weeks ago with my girlfriend  to pre pay for Moderna that people were waiting in line to do. My girlfriend asked if this was for October. They told her October was not going to happen and that a new date between Jan and March 2022. I decided not to wait that long and will be leaving for USA next month. Also found this. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/moderna-vs-pfizer-is-one-vaccine-stronger-against-delta-variant/2603249/    They both give good protection against Delta but I will get Moderna in the USA and if and when I need a booster it will be Moderna. Don't feel comfortable mixing vaccines. We know so little about them now. 

9 minutes ago, club said:

Went to a private hospital in Loei couple of weeks ago with my girlfriend  to pre pay for Moderna that people were waiting in line to do. My girlfriend asked if this was for October. They told her October was not going to happen and that a new date between Jan and March 2022. I decided not to wait that long and will be leaving for USA next month. Also found this. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/moderna-vs-pfizer-is-one-vaccine-stronger-against-delta-variant/2603249/    They both give good protection against Delta but I will get Moderna in the USA and if and when I need a booster it will be Moderna. Don't feel comfortable mixing vaccines. We know so little about them now. 

You could still get 2 Pfizer in Thailand through Expatvac, or 2 AZ through Intervac. Incidentally, the latter is proving to be as effective as the mRNA vaccines.

Guess you just want to do Christmas in USA, and have come up with a convoluted vaccine argument based on that, lol.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, bdenner said:

You missed the point here. This thread mainly relates to Moderna and private hospitals. These supplies have been prepaid for and the buyers are fully entitled to take it if they want.

Ah, 'entitled'.

We're 'entitled' to do a lot of things in life, some of which will undoubtedly kill you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, alyx said:

OMG I keep being confused whether it is regarding the opening of the country or anything related to getting a vaccine. 
Can anyone explain to me the need to consult with a doctor prior to getting Modernà as it is stressed that there is insufficient data, from their own admission? That would make any decision by any physician kind of arbitrary,  out of the blue, wouldn’t it ? Also, from what I have been reading Moderna has been considered more efficient than Pfizer. I don’t get it, really 

Just as easy to Google it ask a Western expert

• Haha 1

Local doctors know sweet <deleted> when it comes to how and whet are the best ways to go about anything concerning this Covid Corona issue, a booster shot is recommended only after 5-6 months from the last vax shot, and this facts are indisputable, unless of course your a an anti vaxing type. which in this case good luck to you in keeping safe and healthy...

• Like 1

I had a shot of AZ at Medpark in Bangkok in June and then decided to go to the states, where my Kaiser doctor told me don't even admit to the people in this hospital that you've had anything, just get two shots of Pfizer as if it is your first. Now I admit that all the young Kaiser doctors may not have graduated at the top of their class, but I just did what he said and I feel fine.

• Like 1