DDC warns those getting Moderna jab as booster to seek doctor’s advice

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I had a shot of AZ at Medpark in Bangkok in June and then decided to go to the states, where my Kaiser doctor told me don't even admit to the people in this hospital that you've had anything, just get two shots of Pfizer as if it is your first. Now I admit that all the young Kaiser doctors may not have graduated at the top of their class, but I just did what he said and I feel fine.

Same here…

1 shot AZ in Thailand, then had to travel for work & had 2 shots of Pfizer, all one month apart. 

No issues, but I didn’t volunteer that I’d had a shot of AZ already when receiving the first Pfizer dose.

(needed to have 2 Pfizer doses in country for work clearance & to receive certification to re-enter Thailand via Sandbox).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You could still get 2 Pfizer in Thailand through Expatvac, or 2 AZ through Intervac. Incidentally, the latter is proving to be as effective as the mRNA vaccines.

Guess you just want to do Christmas in USA, and have come up with a convoluted vaccine argument based on that, lol.

I applied on both sites the day they opened for registration. Just confirmation email said it was successful and they would email me or text me when and where to get vaccinated. Was flying back home anyway for holidays but wanted to vaccinated before I get on plane. Just have to be carful like last year when I flew back for my mothers funeral.  

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

You could still get 2 Pfizer in Thailand through Expatvac, or 2 AZ through Intervac. Incidentally, the latter is proving to be as effective as the mRNA vaccines.

Guess you just want to do Christmas in USA, and have come up with a convoluted vaccine argument based on that, lol.

Your right , I do want to spend Christmas in the USA with my family but I wanted to get vaccinated before I got on plane. Convoluted vaccine argument? What are you even talking about? 

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

People should avoid getting boosters at the moment, but not because the benefits are unknown as the article implies, it's because it would be a very selfish thing to do if you've already had two shots while many people here have not even had one yet. It's far better that as many people as possible receive at least one dose of vaccine than that a select few get three doses (although I realise that the likes of Prayut and Anutin will already have their names down for a booster, lol).

Partially correct on selfish.

However, would need to look into the real effectiveness of Sinovac, where little study done.

In Hungary they used Sinopharm first on elderly (60+) mainly.

Later a larger study carried out found that approx 25% of them, despite double vaxed, had no antibody reaction triggered.

Thought to be fully vaxed and protected, which they were not, in reality.

If Sinovac and Sinopharm are similar logic based, which I think they are ... A similar study here would be real useful.

Bcos those ppl if in reality has no reaction triggered by Sinovac, would not at all be selfish to get a 3rd shot of something different!

6 minutes ago, club said:

Your right , I do want to spend Christmas in the USA with my family but I wanted to get vaccinated before I got on plane. Convoluted vaccine argument? What are you even talking about? 

'Convoluted vaccine argument? What are you even talking about?'

I'm talking about people mixing and matching according to their own beliefs/prejudices to (understandably) suit their own circumstances, be it conscious or otherwise, often to the exclusion of sound medical advice. It's different of course if you have not been offered any vaccine at all. 

The best advice would be 2 of what is available.  

(If you have not yet received a vaccine through Expatvac, you should approach the hospital in your area which is responsible for administering vaccines, and the local district health office, as something has clearly gone wrong.  The likelihood is your details never reached the hospital as this is a known problem in at least one other district. Once solved, you might receive a Pfizer first dose shortly.)

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Neither two Sinovac nor two Thai AstraZeneca is acceptable for reentry as a vaccinated person.  The current rules only cover people vaccinated in Europe and the US of A.

That's changing soon, though.

From 4 October, the government is also extending the list of countries whose vaccination programmes will be seen as being on a par with that of the UK, meaning vaccinated travellers will not need a pre-departure test or a Day 8 test once in England, and they will not be required to self-isolate.

Latest Travel Rules And Restrictions

17 countries are being added to the list but unfortunately for us Thailand is not one of them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Neither two Sinovac nor two Thai AstraZeneca is acceptable for reentry as a vaccinated person.  The current rules only cover people vaccinated in Europe and the US of A.

...vaccinated in EU or UK.

2 hours ago, Karma80 said:

A lot of us are in the same boat. Sino+Sino, Sino+Astra, or just Astra+Astra - but since it's the Thai version it won't count in many places. I personally think the divide between 1st world countries and other places will become greater in relation to ease of travel. Where does it leave us? Nowhere if you want to travel right now until Moderna or something lands.

Until the UK MHRA changes its stance, even Moderna administered in Thailand will not be accepted, (without quarantine for British Nationals [BN]), and not at all for those who are not BNs.

Edited by samtam

Wasn´t Thailand one of the first countries with plans to mix-and match Sino or Astra with Pfizer vaccines?  If Pfizer can be mixed and matched with the other vaccines, I would guess that the same should be possible with Moderna vaccine. Anyway one should probably wait 6 months, before having a third booster jab.

Mrs Merkel had AZ and Moderna.

In Denmark lots of old people in nursing homes and medical staff had shots of AZ early this year, but when the health authorities kicked out AZ (and J&J) from the national vaccine program in April, they all had Pfizer as their second shots. 

Edited by Pdib
Correction of typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Robin said:

Confused, and worried.

I have had the 'standard' Thai vaccine of Sinovac + Astra Zeneca, but I see that this 'mixed dose is not accepted by UK as sufficient for non-quarantine entry. ( My understanding of UK entry requirements is  vaccine of 2 doses of he same.  I am on a list at local private hosp. for thsi Moderna Vaccine, whihc I was hoping would allow me back to UK.  Now what?

Why would you get sinovac , you can’t travel on it besides being garbage I flew home to avoid getting that stuff 

Edited by That time again

It's true that there have not been any studies specifically looking at the combination of SinoVac or Sinopharm vaccines with a Moderna booster. But then again there hadn't been any extensive studies using Pfizer as a booster like that either and the government went ahead with that anyway. 

I can't see much difference between the rationale for using either one of these two almost identical mRNA vaccines as a booster shot.

And as others have said, since there's no data, a doctor won't be able to give you any different information than what we already know.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here…

1 shot AZ in Thailand, then had to travel for work & had 2 shots of Pfizer, all one month apart. 

No issues, but I didn’t volunteer that I’d had a shot of AZ already when receiving the first Pfizer dose.

(needed to have 2 Pfizer doses in country for work clearance & to receive certification to re-enter Thailand via Sandbox).

Vaccine junkie!  lol.

Seriously, that was a bit risky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

You do what you want, I'm getting a Moderna booster shot.

Best hunker down for a long wait. Whatever they say in the news it is a given that when Moderna eventually arrives here there will be a mad scramble for it with the government and well connected hi so Thais syphoning of a lot of the first doses followed by the squeaky wheels. 

Here's something more useful and informative than anything you're likely to hear from the average Thai doctor during a paid consult regarding vaccines. Hot off the presses....

Among three COVID-19 vaccines, Moderna’s shows highest efficacy against hospitalizations

idn.svg?la=en&hash=5934CDC6569FBE7922DC9

Vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 hospitalization among U.S. adults without immunocompromising conditions was highest for the Moderna vaccine compared with the other two available COVID-19 vaccines, researchers reported in MMWR.

“Three COVID-19 vaccines are authorized or approved for use among adults in the United States,” Wesley H. Self, MD, associate professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, and colleagues wrote. “Current guidelines from FDA and CDC recommend vaccination of eligible persons with one of these three products, without preference for a specific vaccine.”

(more)

https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20210917/among-three-covid19-vaccines-modernas-shows-higher-efficacy-against-hospitalizations

Screenshot_2.jpg.ba1832f46cba1285dd388086ba0c7f4a.jpg

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

Wasn't it always announced that Moderna will be available between October and April ? (Those who had paid would agree with me)

I think they said the first million or so would arrive in 4Q21 and the balance in 1Q22.  I guess that most of the people who could afford to book Moderna and were able to get in the queue have already had 2 shots of AZ.  I am not sure, if there is any point in consulting a Thai doctor on this as they won't know much but will probably say avoid it because that is what Dr Sophon has advised.  Most of them won't bother to consult a doctor and will go ahead anyway.  So Thailand will have some data on Moderna boosters following  AZ+AZ soon.

Dr Sophon's caution about Moderna boosters is funny considering they threw caution to the winds when going ahead with the SV+AZ regime, SV+SV+AZ and SV+SV+PFE. It depends what is expedient, so we can probably ignore everything he and the other Thai government experts say. 

There is no credible data on cocktails containing Chinese vaccines or on the vaccines as stand alones because no credible countries have used Chinese vaccines.  

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

Wasn't it always announced that Moderna will be available between October and April ? (Those who had paid would agree with me)

When I went for my first Sinovac I was really surprised to see more than 90% of the people waiting to get the jab were Westerners, because in this forum more than 90% would say they will walk away if they were to be given the Sinovac jab. My conclusion (solely my conclusion) is that the keyboard warriors just want to be keyboard warriors of they are hypocrite. Just wondering.

Warmest

Friend of mine with a business in Phuket said they were not given a choice, if they were going to open, they had to be vaccinated and Sinovac was what was offered only.

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Department of Disease Control has however warned, that they should talk to their doctor first, as the combination of this mRNA vaccine with other types has not been widely performed.

Exactly.  So, talk to them about what?

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

People who have received the sinovac/AZ combo don't need a booster.  AZ is proving to be as effective as the mRNA vaccines, better even at preventing deaths.  The logical booster shot after 6 months would be another AZ.

The only thoroughly researched combos have involved AZ/Pfizer.

The doctor is quite right.

The Sinovac/AZ combo is also a shot in the dark and only done in Thailand. I, reluctantly asked for Sino/Sino, was was denied. Only the Sino/AZ (locally produced!) is possible at this moment.  I kindly refused (for now).

On 9/19/2021 at 4:29 AM, ikke1959 said:

Oh my God,  a lot Thai people got a vaccine already, maybe only 1 shot Sinovac because there was never news when Moderna should arrive... Now suddenly it seems that they have to talk to the doctor first, before they can get their Moderna vaccine...Is it propaganda to get the Sinovac and Astra Zeneca from the Government first instead of this Moderna?

Pure goverment propaganda to make Thai more and more confused. Please don't read any Thai monkey news about vaccines. Look for international reports and advice. 

Booster Moderna or Pfizer very effective to boost your immunity against covid

• Like 1