Help with the new Toyota Yaris that I have just bought.

Keith5588

4 hours ago, nahkit said:

Did you have the a/c running at the time? The car will restart the engine for the purpose of running the a/c if it thinks the temperature inside is increasing.

In the above case, you should see a message saying that its re-starting the engine for "climate control". 

Good point, I did have the a/c on. I didn't see a message but it could be that I missed seeing it. 

18 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

I still wanna know what thing in the photo is ???    When the sales people brought you your manual did you think to ask them as to what it might be ???

I didn't see the sales lady, she knew where I lived and just left it at reception. If I do not find out in the next day or two I will ask Toyota.

I have half solved what the metal thing is. Because of where it was I did write that I would guess that it was a fitting for some jacks but I deleted it as it was just guessing.

There was not a tool bag in the car as there was no spare wheel.

I have looked under the car and definitely need the scissor jack in the photo that has a slot in the top of the jack. I bought one from Lazada and am pleased with it as it is solid. I will use it under the car soon. 

Why they included the metal thing I don't know and at the moment I cannot see any other mention of it in the manual or where the hole is in the car to insert it.

Anyway half solved and as it is a "jack attachment" that does not attach to the jack I have I don't need it.

So do they put it there just to annoy or is there a use for it? I will ask.

20210921_204334.jpg

20210921_204211.jpg

When I was taught to drive (HGV), i was told when stopping at lights (or similar) always apply handbrake and select neutral, never stop in gear, with foot on the clutch/brake  because if someone nudges/hits you from behind your foot could easily come of the pedal and forward you will go. I still do this to this day, even with an automatic, you can sit there and relax and as the lights here have countdowns plus no amber before green, and or Thais seem to take an age to move when green I prefer this method, plus I feel it relaxes the auto drive when in neutral and not in drive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The auto stop function is virtually useless but consumers don’t now this so it’s been put into most cars.

It is worse than useless. I think it improves city mileage and helps satisfy environmental requirements, which is why you have to turn it off every time you get in. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Kieth did you not have a test drive before you purchased a new vehicle the sales staff should of taken you though the workings of the vehicle maybe you should go back to the showroom and get them to spend 30 minutes with you to demonstrate how everything works !

Good idea, when I got my last Tuna there was many new things that didn't come on the last one. Into Toyota and they spent around an hour explaining what did what. Very helpful, Just one small point I still don't know what all the things do. But then again I have only had it for 4.5 years. Regards the stop start set up that's a pain in the Butt just turn the thing off when you start off. It doesn't save any fuel just wears out the starter motor and the battery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GregTN said:

Wow thank you Greg that totally explains it. Thank you!

It does my head in, even though it initially came with no spare wheel and just the pump and sealant they put a jack attachment in assuming I would have a professional wheeled hydrolic jack in the car!

They also included an emergency tow bar attachment. I have had a look and I don't think it possible to attach it to my car?  

I am making a list of things to query, I need to have a good read of the Owners Manual but from the little I have read it brings up some questions.

I have been a bit busy this afternoon, bought a very reduced electric drill machine from Mr DIY in Khon Kaen, I have used it and it is good, only 249 baht, unbelievable!  I do like planning, so 4 large white 110 litre storage boxes fit into the back of the Yaris, too much to write here but I needed holes in these boxes to attach them .........  I am lucky in that my gf has a house in Isaan that we can store some items but we have a few unnecessary things, I have been very careful not to accrue stuff.  

We will have everything in the car that we need to live a good life.

Thanks again for explaining what the item is used for.

Keith

On 9/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

A new battery in Thailand is unlikely to last much beyond 3~4 years, though the batteries fitted to new cars seem to be better quality and may last a little longer, one thing you can do to extend the life is keep the maximum temperature down, since this comes after you stop the engine after a reasonable length trip, opening the bonnet for 10~20 minutes will help. Of course you can only do this at home but it will reduce the number of heat cycles the battery is subjected to.

My crv battery is designed for idlestop. I got 2 years out of mine and I don't use idlestop. I changed it at 40%. Probably cound have used it for a few more months but didn't feel liek gettign stranded aywhre. Other users may only get a year. This battery is 5K baht. 

I am aware of a wiring 'gizmo' (not sure what it is called), that can be affachere where th idlestop button is, and it can automatically turn off the idlestop when the engine is started. maybe something like tha tis available for th yaris in question (won't get it froma dealer, though)

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, keithkarmann said:

I asked for the auto start gadget to be disconnected on my Almera but Nissan was reluctant to do so. But there is a manual switch to turn it off. I found it to be dangerous when I forgot to switch it off. Waiting to turn right off a minor road on to a major road, to my right there was some straight road but not far away the road bent to the right. So I checked both right and left nothing coming but pulling out fast was needed just in case something was travelling from the blind bend. There was plenty of time or so I thought but I did not take into account the delay of the engine re starting. Half way accross the road and a car appeared from the blind bend. We did not collide but the other driver was not very happy.

As a mechanic I do not think it is a good idea to have the starter motor acctuating many times a day. I did do a check and the fuel saving was minimal with the auto start. Maybe it would be good if the auto start worked the other way and had to be switched on and not off.

I agree.

After driving a bit more I believe that it wrong for a car to decide to turn itself off when it wants when you as the driver want different. I had a similar situation, I cannot remember the event exactly, it was at a junction or in a car park where neither me nor the other car had right of way. They politely waited for me to go and at that precise moment my car decided to turn the engine off, it did turn straight on again but the fact was there was at least a second, maybe 2 seconds delay. In this case the other driver I think wondered why I was a bit slow. I will now turn it off every time and when I approach red traffic light with a long wait I will turn the engine off myself.

I do feel annoyed that I will have to turn it off every time for my own safety!

Thanks a lot @DavisH. I don't have much time at the moment, we will soon be leaving for my gf to have her second covid jab of Astra Zenica. That place is near the main Toyota dealer where I bought the car and I have been informed that the white number plates have arrived so will call in to have the red plates removed.

I had intended to ask if the auto stop start can be permantly disabled and so I will still do that.

I expect the answer will be no and so will have my gf look at the video later this morning.

Thanks again

Keith

On 9/21/2021 at 3:14 PM, Keith5588 said:

Doing almost anything else e.g. shifting the gear lever to Neutral, lifting my foot off the brake pedal, even undoing my drivers seat belt or opening the drivers door causes the engine to start.

Stop fiddling around and drive the car like you normally would for the last 50 years. Pull up at traffic light, put handbrake on and wait. Light turns green, release handbrake apply the throttle and drive away.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Stop fiddling around and drive the car like you normally would for the last 50 years. Pull up at traffic light, put handbrake on and wait. Light turns green, release handbrake apply the throttle and drive away.  

I got to push several buttons in my car at start up. One of them is turning the idlestop off. Kind of get used to doing that. I do like the brakehold though. There seems to be too many safety features in cars these days for people who cant drive...I guess lakekeep assist is good if you are drunk trying to get home lol. But I'm pretty good at using my mirrors and staying in my lane. I do like the lanewatch camera though. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I got to push several buttons in my car at start up. One of them is turning the idlestop off. Kind of get used to doing that. I do like the brakehold though. There seems to be too many safety features in cars these days for people who cant drive...I guess lakekeep assist is good if you are drunk trying to get home lol. But I'm pretty good at using my mirrors and staying in my lane. I do like the lanewatch camera though. 

The Toyota dealer as I expected said it is impossible to permanently disable the auto start stop.

I had already copied and saved your video to my phone so my girlfriend and myself tried to follow it. The very first step did not work, I have no extra display near the speed dial on the car. I bought the middle grade the Sport. I think the Sport Premium had an extra Driver information Display and the Sport Primium has the lanekeep assist but my Sports grade doesn't. 

So unfortunately I couldn’t do it. I suspect there is a way known by Toyota mechanics for testing or whatever but for some reason they do not give the car owner the choice.

I haven’t used the car much so will continue to assess the Auto stop start.

If I find a way to disable it I will post.

Good point about the brakehold, I need to test it a bit more but it seems to make it easy for you.

Thanks for trying to help

I'm now going to relax and have some Sangsum, I think that will put everything right!

Keith

On 9/21/2021 at 6:56 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The auto stop function is virtually useless but consumers don’t now this so it’s been put into most cars.

.Agreed. My Mazda 2 has a switch on the dashboard to toggle on and off, mine is permanently off.