Caution urged for relaxing laws on foreigners owning land in Thailand

webfact

i have no idea what wide spread laws exist in USA to prevent foreigners from buying. i wish i could put the house i live in (it is in my 11 year old daughter's name) into my name. being in my daughters name was a huge mistake. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

It would be an extreme folly for the Thais to allow extensive foreign ownership of land.  Land is your Nation in physical form, sell it off at your peril.  They could restrict it to the building of say one official family holding and dwelling of say 1 Rai maximum. I just wish the UK government would stop selling off land and other National assets to various Russian oligarchs and Chinese criminals. It is a mistake beyond words

How are they selling land off they cannot dig it up and carry it away, that kind of thinking is why they have the law as it is

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

but rather listen to him instead

Yes, the yeller tie debating coda is "I'm always right, and if you argue it's treason, sedition, lese majeste, and a national security threat." Remember that tosspot shaking his head non-stop at the one debate they TRIED to have about the institution? He looked like a two year old not wanting to finish his din-dins. <deleted>!

• Haha 1

Just now, chalawaan said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you know who, and in what capacity, owns that property?    

He could throw that right back at you, can you disprove his comment? We're all ears.

Don't see how he coud throw it back at me as I didn't make any claim about someone owning property abroad, he did, I've got nothing to disprove!  I asked him how he could know anything about the ownership of that property.   Over to you, I'm all ears.

39 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Who'd have thought, owning your own home and the land that it sits on.

They want you to buy property, but not have any real rights or protection to it.

Who the hell is going to buy/invest with those criteria?

A lot less than would do if they can simply own it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

He has a point though.

The issue will not be westerners buying one rai out in the sticks somewhere and building a house for him and his familly.

The issue will be Chinese companies buying up huge tracts of land and developing them as a home from home for use by a select few of their fellow countrymen.

Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos are already experiencing this. 

And we're witnessing what's happening in Cambodia today.

Not a pretty picture.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

How are they selling land off they cannot dig it up and carry it away, that kind of thinking is why they have the law as it is

I don't understand your point,  control of land assets is control of the Nation, however you look at it. 

• Like 1

even way back 12 year ago I was told a farang could buy and own a condo, but will say that not the whole thing, the Chinese  are getting big farms and turning them into building blocks that is old also, but look at Australia 40% sold how stupid is that?and the leading real estate man says sell more to overseas, nice man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Don’t think it’s a good idea either, except maybe for real expats, easy to prove, with a maximum size restriction. Look what’s happened in Cambodia, the Chinese invasion has ruined Siem Reap, Sihanouk ville and is well on the way in Phnom Penh. They’re like weeds.

Yeah i did, no one can own land in cambodia except cambodians.

What's your point? Their rotten government stole land and leased it to chinese companies and made gambling legal, that's what happened, totally unrelated to this visa.

• Haha 1