Caution urged for relaxing laws on foreigners owning land in Thailand

webfact

In my country they allow this but without proper caveats in my opinion. So I agree with those here who speak of a problem with no boundaries in selling land to falangs.

simple idea. Allow 99 year lease, with a lawful judicial bulwarks e.g. if you engage in crim activity  by you in-country or abroad it’s nullified. Some simple restrictions like amount of land to each person, no developmental buying and building  over a set amount of land and dwellings etc.

Hmmm... We need to remember the Thais don’t actually want us”white devils” a.k.a falangs in Thailand at all, just our money. This is the bottom line in all our transactions. The overt evidence is in dual pricing, more subtle evidence in their immigration policies.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 3:42 PM, fvw53 said:

It makes me think of the uproar in the USA when Japanese bought the Rockefeller Center  they could not pack it and send it home ....it is still there 

I felt the same when the London Bridge was  sold, what a hoot. Where is it lately by the way?

Retirees with the pension requirements can own land and build on it legally until their death. Then all goes back to Thailand, Spouce, family. Or auctioned off. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, Sir Dude said:

This guy sounds like exactly the type of xenophobic relic from the early 20th century that should not have any input into the future of Thailand... exactly the type of intolerant elitist nonsense that is unhelpful and welcome. He probably thinks protesting about inequality in society is treasonous too. As an aside, likely he owns a property outright in London, Paris, New York or such place.

It would nice to know if your last sentence is true, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is!

On 9/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Of course they do, otherwise there would already be widespread purchase of land in Thailand by foreigners. 

Why would anyone want to buy that <deleted>?

On 9/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, RichardColeman said:

I do not see an issue with foreigners holding land if certain agreements were put into law.

1. Your property passes into the hands of your Thai partner or children after your death. Or one generation on non-thai children living in Thailand, thereby giving them a chance to sell it.

2. if you die and  you still own a property, your direct family have 5 years to sell it before it is returned to the state.

This way the property always returns to the Thai people and only owned by foreigners until death, and let's face it most of us when we are dead will not give a hoot about owning land. 

Really enjoying that Thai toot, aren't you?

On 9/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, garyk said:

Retirees with the pension requirements can own land and build on it legally until their death. Then all goes back to Thailand, Spouce, family. Or auctioned off. 

quote your source, please. Assuming you are saying that the retiree is an expat, that's simply not true. me and my 'spouce' 555 are retired but cannot own land.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:38 AM, jacko45k said:

I felt the same when the London Bridge was  sold, what a hoot. Where is it lately by the way?

It's floating around but being careful not to bump into the Sydney harbour bridge, which also has many owners/been sold many times by keen marketers/scammers.

On 9/21/2021 at 5:46 PM, inThailand said:

The USA should prohibit Thais from buying residential properties in America, unless they give reciprocal rights to US expats. 

Lobbyists would shoot it down as affordable housing isn't as profitable.