Database containing personal info of 106 million international visitors to Thailand was exposed online

webfact

7 minutes ago, ThLT said:

There have been more than 106 million travellers in Thailand, especially in 10 years. Before COVID, there were 30-40 million per year.

So there's around a 1/3 chance that we are on there.

Fair enough if that is the way you view it.  I do know the numbers arriving really did not start to tick upwards until around 2011.  Looking at the chart below around 269 million tourists in 10 years.  How many of those were repeat entrants, like myself up until 2019 I came and left 6 times a year, and then how many are migrants entering the country.  True tourists numbers will be an unknown as far as the statistics go,

https://www.worlddata.info/asia/thailand/tourism.php

All data for Thailand in detail

Year Numberof tourists Receipts % of GNP Income per tourist
2019 39.92 m 65.08 bn $ 11.96 % 1,630 $
2018 38.18 m 61.38 bn $ 12.12 % 1,608 $
2017 35.59 m 57.06 bn $ 12.50 % 1,603 $
2016 32.53 m 48.46 bn $ 11.72 % 1,490 $
2015 29.92 m 44.85 bn $ 11.18 % 1,499 $
2014 24.81 m 38.45 bn $ 9.4 % 1,550 $
2013 26.55 m 41.77 bn $ 9.9 % 1,573 $
2012 22.35 m 34.57 bn $ 8.7 % 1,546 $
2011 19.23 m 30.92 bn $ 8.3 % 1,608 $

2 minutes ago, cape said:

Who are the fools who failed to secure the Immigration database?

Please do not cut and quote part of a post to suit your agenda as it is against forum rules to take the quoted text and use it out of context like you have.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

There have been loads, can't be bothered to look them up. 

I am well aware that other govts have had data stolen from databases . The bit i struggle to understand is the people that seem to defend the govt for having unsecured databases and  where those criticising them for it are called ‘bashers’ apart from the govts themselves and their pr shills. Very few would find it acceptable because someone else did it before.

Edited by Orac

I hope none of you have signed up for all the wallets that some Thai companies, e. g. Lazada, True Money, offer. Far too much information is required for my liking. Lazada in order to give me a refund required my passport. I told them no as they didn't give me theirs when I paid. I'll only be paying them by credit card in future as when something goes wrong refund is back to the cc whereas any other kind of refund goes to the stupid wallet. I hope tney enjoy all the cc fees they'll have deducted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, what about all the same information given every 90 days.

You think they keep all that paperwork ?

Maybe the maid and janitor has been selling it off, instead of

putting it in the dumpster, or how about the trash truck driver,

or any number of others along that unsecured path.

SO, Mai Pen Lai, Welcome to Thailand and Thai Style.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not surprised, surprised it didn't happen sooner though... for the Thais, a stark reminder of their past tourism glory and the ashes of past glory that it is now...

It was the Butler, sack him immediately, check out his garage for BMWs and Porches. 

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Conversely if a Thai person [or any other nationality for that matter] went to a bank in your home country, and requested a document printed in Thai script, would they be able to do it flawlessly?

Not a vlid comparison.  In fact in countries like uk and across EU most government documents are available in many different languages that reflect the needs of the population and are in general very well translated.

As a purveyor of English Language and occasional copywriting I'm acutely aware of the slapdash translations offered by thai companies that think they "know English"

Unlike Thai English is by far the most used language on the planet. It is the language of IT, computing industry and commerce - yet Thai businesses fail to recognise this over and over again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Not a vlid comparison.  In fact in countries like uk and across EU most government documents are available in many different languages that reflect the needs of the population and are in general very well translated.

As a purveyor of English Language and occasional copywriting I'm acutely aware of the slapdash translations offered by thai companies that think they "know English"

Unlike Thai English is by far the most used language on the planet. It is the language of IT, computing industry and commerce - yet Thai businesses fail to recognise this over and over again.

While I agree that officials who have daily contact with foreigners should have an acceptable level of English understanding, that goes with banks and such departments etc.

However outside of the city centres [where most foreigner and English speaking workers are found] life is not the same, go out into the boonies to a local branch and see what really happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

While I agree that officials who have daily contact with foreigners should have an acceptable level of English understanding, that goes with banks and such departments etc.

However outside of the city centres [where most foreigner and English speaking workers are found] life is not the same, go out into the boonies to a local branch and see what really happens.

Or as a foreigner living here why not try and learn some Thai. Not tourists of course but those with intentions of staying here long term. When I decided to settle I took a 3 month course in Bangkok.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Fair enough if that is the way you view it.  I do know the numbers arriving really did not start to tick upwards until around 2011.  Looking at the chart below around 269 million tourists in 10 years.  How many of those were repeat entrants, like myself up until 2019 I came and left 6 times a year, and then how many are migrants entering the country.  True tourists numbers will be an unknown as far as the statistics go,

https://www.worlddata.info/asia/thailand/tourism.php

All data for Thailand in detail

Year Numberof tourists Receipts % of GNP Income per tourist
2019 39.92 m 65.08 bn $ 11.96 % 1,630 $
2018 38.18 m 61.38 bn $ 12.12 % 1,608 $
2017 35.59 m 57.06 bn $ 12.50 % 1,603 $
2016 32.53 m 48.46 bn $ 11.72 % 1,490 $
2015 29.92 m 44.85 bn $ 11.18 % 1,499 $
2014 24.81 m 38.45 bn $ 9.4 % 1,550 $
2013 26.55 m 41.77 bn $ 9.9 % 1,573 $
2012 22.35 m 34.57 bn $ 8.7 % 1,546 $
2011 19.23 m 30.92 bn $ 8.3 % 1,608 $

Yeah, but I mean, it's not about precise numbers. Even if you take into consideration repeat visitors, then maybe there's now a 40% chance you and I are in the leak, and a 60% chance we aren't... so it's exactly a situation where we would want to know if your passport and other personal have been leaked.

Edited by ThLT

9 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Yeah, but I mean, it's not about precise numbers. Even if you take into consideration repeat visitors, then maybe there's now a 40% chance you and I are in the leak, and a 60% chance we aren't... so it's exactly a situation where we would want to know if your passport and other personal have been leaked.

The biggest issue, is do they want to notify all who have had information exposed, and just how the hell do you do that.  I mean do they send a list to each embassy and leave it to the embassy to notify the individual, and then at the end of the day exactly what does one need to do except keep checking their own personal history.  

19 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Maybe they spell thai names better in thai.  English is not their first language….guess you forgot.  “My friend you” should remind you.  ????

According to my Thai Wife; a Midwife for 25 years, vast numbers of Thai's have very little command over their own Language, mainly as a result of their inefficient Education System and very often spell Thai people's names wrong as well !

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

You imply I haven't experience of "the boonies"??

I find that what helps most is learning the local language of the country I'm living in

6 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

You imply I haven't experience of "the boonies"??

I find that what helps most is learning the local language of the country I'm living in

Which was my point, learn the local language and not expect the host country to help you with everything.

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Which was my point, learn the local language and not expect the host country to help you with everything.

what's that got to do with managing web sites and databases?

Boo you villages speak everything except Bangkok Thai. Village I lived in near Wang Sam MO the ladies spoke Lao, Issan Thai, and Khmer. Hard to learn those quickly.