Inheriting a car

bannork

My wife died last April with no will, a pickup registered in her name, for which I paid every instalment, passed on to me with no problem, she had 3 daughters, stepdaughters to me. I continued to live with the youngest stepdaughter, aged 28. Occasionally she borrowed the pickup then one day she claimed it had broken down 80 km away and had been left in a garage.

When it came back I saw the number plate had been changed and I subsequently found out she had transferred ownership to her boyfriend and had refinanced the vehicle for 120,000 baht at 6000 baht a month 

How could she claim ownership when she has 2 sisters ( they knew nothing of what she did) plus the deceased was legally married to me?

I suspect she worked in crook with the finance company to change the number plate and hence gain custody of the car. 

I want to talk to officials at the vehicle registration department but I wonder how she can claim ownership of the pickup.

Did she have access to the green book?  If yes, there's ways they can borrow against the car.  If I were you I'd make a police report fast as the borrowed money may come back to haunt you.

• Like 2

After my wife died we didn't change the name on the green/ blue book. She has secretly taken it and somehow got her boyfriend as the owner with a 120, 000 baht loan. As the legal husband who bought the vehicle when were married, I don't think she has the right to transfer ownership.

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

After my wife died we didn't change the name on the green/ blue book. She has secretly taken it and somehow got her boyfriend as the owner with a 120, 000 baht loan. As the legal husband who bought the vehicle when were married, I don't think she has the right to transfer ownership.

No point in just complaining. DO something: Go to the transport people.

(Of course some brown envelopes may have been involved too, in which case you'll make no progress.)

27 minutes ago, bannork said:

The daughter could easily get control of the vehicle it was her mother's and took the book to do so. 

So you have loss the use of the truck and you don't have to worry about any money borrowed on it. 

What you do with relationship with her is up to you just don't sign anything. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Get out of anything to do with it.  Make a police report.  Go speak to the transport registration office and sort it out.

Both ideas a waste of time as long as his name is not in the blue book he cannot do anything.

Also with no wife's 'will' he could take it further if he involved the other remaining daughters but only if they wished to. 

• Confused 1