Expat on Samui says he was threatened with deportation by hospital over Covid bill

webfact

8 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

You know a number of people?

I call BS on that one. 

I am pretty sure they did not call you specifically to inform you they are covid positive and that they passed it on to family members.

The most popular phrase on this forum is "I know someone"

Call it whatever you like, but when a customer tells me (via email) that they have Covid and then I have to self quarantine for a week - I take that pretty seriously.

Another customer called me today to say that he has Covid - but this customer is in hospital.

I now go into self quarantine for the fifth time in a year.

BTW the most popular phrase on this forum is 'I call BS on that'

Edited by Tropicalevo

Guest Isaanlife
8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Call it whatever you like, but when a customer tells me (via email) that they have Covid and then I have to self quarantine for a week - I take that pretty seriously.

Another customer called me today to say that he has Covid - but this customer is in hospital.

I now go into self quarantine for the fifth time in a year.

BTW the most popular phrase on this forum is 'I call BS on that'

A number of people as you claim turns out to be 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is this the covid insurance that insurers are refusing to pay out because of too many claims, they are instead claiming bankruptcy ???? 

Yep... without taking sides, I’m very skeptical of any insurance company in Thailand right now !!!.... 

The thought of being carted off to an expensive, uninsurable 'quarantine facility' 5 days after I entered the country negative, asymptomatic, having contracted the virus somewhere in country, is one of the main factors pushing off my return to even later this year. I hope they'll get this incompetent, xenophobic insanity sorted eventually.

Love the country as much as I do, if I didn't have personal connections there it wouldn't even be on my list at the moment.

9 hours ago, BusyB said:

The thought of being carted off to an expensive, uninsurable 'quarantine facility' 5 days after I entered the country negative, asymptomatic, having contracted the virus somewhere in country, is one of the main factors pushing off my return to even later this year. I hope they'll get this incompetent, xenophobic insanity sorted eventually.

Book a villa?

Can be cheaper than a hotel.

Definitely cheaper than a hospitel and guests have been allowed to quarantine in the pre-booked villa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Book a villa?

Can be cheaper than a hotel.

Definitely cheaper than a hospitel and guests have been allowed to quarantine in the pre-booked villa.

I'll be booking an apartment long stay. I know locals can  s o m e t I m e s  isolate at home. But it's rare for 'tourists' if at all. And there's no way of knowing if it'll apply to me.

If I didn't have a couple of other firm reasons to stay put right now, this one would do it.

It's just not worth the risk.

4 hours ago, BusyB said:

I'll be booking an apartment long stay. I know locals can  s o m e t I m e s  isolate at home. But it's rare for 'tourists' if at all. And there's no way of knowing if it'll apply to me.

I do not think that you would be allowed to quarantine in an apartment. Too much risk for the other tenants and the 'management' may not allow it.

I can only speak for Koh Samui.

We have had a number of tourists that booked to stay in private villas, and they were allowed to quarantine there. The hospital asked if if it was OK from our side.

But it should be noted that these 'Covid' cases had mild or zero symptoms.

If there were more serious symptoms, you would want to stay in the hospital anyway. But the rest of the family stayed in the villa.

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I do not think that you would be allowed to quarantine in an apartment. Too much risk for the other tenants and the 'management' may not allow it.

We have had a number of tourists that booked to stay in private villas, and they were allowed to quarantine there. The hospital asked if if it was OK from our side.

If there were more serious symptoms, you would want to stay in the hospital anyway. But the rest of the family stayed in the villa.

With symptoms my insurance would pay as well. But having been boostered it's quite likely I'd be asymptomatic.

I live in an apartment and had to quarantine at home once. That's it. You stay in, and friends bring you what you need and leave it at the door. After 14 days you go and get a PCR test to clear. Perfectly normal and Germany is not the third world. And the problem is that it can hit you any time you have to test somewhere ... BANG ... Go Straight to Jail, do not pass Go, and pay 100000 baht fine. They're out of their minds.

They've got to get that sorted. I've got better things to spend my cash on.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Do you know by chance if these Tourists that were allowed to quarantine at the villas tested positive as part of the Sandbox/Test&Go programs?  This seems to be the biggest nightmare coming to Thailand right now and I was under the impression if you get tested positive you are off to a government controlled institution for 2 weeks of detention (where you pay).  

On 9/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, webfact said:

He is currently on a volunteer visa....

Who volunteers their time yet too poor to pay their bills?

Sounds like just another falang with a fake volunteer or ED visa trying to scam the system.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah this is the message and it's really sad.

I know that many thais think the same, no one wants to be locked up like an animal and even pay for it...

It might be different in other parts of Thailand, but when my GF (Thai) and my son (German/Thai) were locked in in Pattaya for 10 days in a hospitel without symptoms, they had to pay nothing  for that. They just payed for fruit and better food from outside.

What this hospital on samui does is ridiculous and should be reported to international media as a warning for foreigners in Thailand.

Another good reason to avoid any further steps after a positive ATK as long as you have no symptoms. Just stay at home, isolate yourself and keep cool.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

On 9/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

It is actually against international law and in violation of several treaties, for a private entity or business to confiscate one's passport.....

Mighty fine negotiating point.

It is a good point. But, how would those treaties affect this situation? Thailand regularly breaks treaties, or many aspects of treaties. Who would defend him, or enforce this? Certainly not anyone within this administration. They very rarely stand up for expats. 

17 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It might be different in other parts of Thailand, but when my GF (Thai) and my son (German/Thai) were locked in in Pattaya for 10 days in a hospitel without symptoms, they had to pay nothing  for that. They just payed for fruit and better food from outside.

What this hospital on samui does is ridiculous and should be reported to international media as a warning for foreigners in Thailand.

Another good reason to avoid any further steps after a positive ATK as long as you have no symptoms. Just stay at home, isolate yourself and keep cool.

My Thai wife is currently in a Pattaya Covid hotel with minor symptoms and some days zero symptoms; free of charge, decent hotel.  I'm 100% sure if I was in the same situation I'd have a hefty bill at the end.  But I know the possibilities and choose to stay here and won't cry if things go bad. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 5:29 AM, Conquerbrqvilok said:

16 % of Thai people in the UK they don't even hold a valid visa and they get free treatments and vaccine , Hospitals , Banks in UK and EU the only thing they check in your passport biometric page 

Complete rubbish....

Where's the link to 16%.

How do they get a bank account without a valid BRP.

My missus has a few accounts and she had to show her VALID BRP for each one.

They get free COVID vaccines and treatment at A & E ( not for routine surgery ) unless they have paid the health surcharge

I suggest you go back to reading the  fictional Express and Mail & worshiping Farage. 

Edited by Pmbkk

8 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Do you know by chance if these Tourists that were allowed to quarantine at the villas tested positive as part of the Sandbox/Test&Go programs?  This seems to be the biggest nightmare coming to Thailand right now and I was under the impression if you get tested positive you are off to a government controlled institution for 2 weeks of detention (where you pay).  

The latest guests had arrived under the Test and Go process.

They were found negative after the one night in quarantine and allowed to go to their pre-booked villa. They were then found to be positive after a 5th day PCR test from the villa.

As they had very mild symptoms, they were allowed to stay in the villa for a 10 day quarantine. They were allowed outside but not supposed to travel far.

• Thanks 1