Expat on Samui says he was threatened with deportation by hospital over Covid bill

webfact

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks, but I've never come across a provider of travel insurance that includes those living outside their own country, it always has a time limit and/or an exclusion for residents.   Neither of those brokers can provide travel insurance for non-travellers/residents or periods of more than 364 days maximum.

Nope, these insure anyone, and  World Nomads was doing the same too, but they suspended the cover after the Covid came.

If you go to the ACS web site to get a quote, you can choose your country of residence, this is where you are going to get evacuated if need to. If you started your trip already, (like you are already in Thailand), there is a waiting period of 8 days for benefits.

They are all max 365 days, you can get a new one after that. 

However they have a fairly low cut-off age - ACS is 66 years, Safetywing 69. 

https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/faq

All these are TRAVEL insurances, if you have cut the ties with your home country and  you live in Thailand permanently and is your home this is not going to work. You can't be evacuated from Thailand to Thailand. All travel insurances limit their exposure by evacuating you to your country of residence where their coverage ceases. You need proper medical insurance in this case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conquerbrqvilok said:
2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have the RooJai Covid-19 policy. 17 pages all in English

Medical treatment from infections    -- Coverage up to 100,000 THB .
Illness with serious conditions or diseases caused by a coronavirus infection  --  Coverage up to 1,000,000 TH

But you need to pay first then claim not everyone have 1 MB in hand 

Are you sure about that?   Evidence of cover is usually enough for hospitals to wait for insurers payments.

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:
2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

An insurance company with everything in English is still full of legal jargon for the same obvious reasons. How long have you had this insurance? Will they still renew it when it runs out because of all the increased cases?

Some people when you mention 'insurance' are like a Chatty-Kathy doll -- you just pull the string on her back and they just say the same thing over-and-over.

Absolutely, and it's usually all myth!

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What I am saying is insurance companies use legal jargon and small print to try and avoid paying out claims

Nonsense, insurers do not try to avoid paying out on legitimate claims, neither do they use legal jargon to deny claims.  Unless you can give an example, of course. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:07 AM, gearbox said:

Apparently this is not a hotel bill, it is a hospital bill for covid treatment. Logically the policies covering asymptomatic cases would cover it.

My mate was asymptomatic, his insurance wouldn't cover the hospital bill so they kicked him out after 4 days to spend the rest of his quarantine period in a hotel.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's B850 annually.

Obviously you haven't read all the thread! From my post, Page 6.....

23 hours ago, rbkk said:

I just checked the policy and it is 790B + stamp duty + VAT=850 Baht. My mistake.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, insurers do not try to avoid paying out on legitimate claims, neither do they use legal jargon to deny claims.  Unless you can give an example, of course. 

Your posts are not worth bothering about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Then the only thing we differ on is the amount of trust in this guy. I don't believe his story that he was given no option for a field hospital or covid ward. I feel this is a pretty one sided story where they only listened to this guy. I think I have shown that field hospitals did exists in Samui or on the main land but in that province. 

You are convinced he was given no options, i am not convinced about that and even if that was the case he should have informed about it. Think that is the point of contention. No way to know for sure. 

But i agree if this hotel was forced upon him and cheaper options were withheld even after asking about them then I agree with you. However i only see that he was not allowed to quarantine at home, nothing about being denied a field hospital or hospital ward.

Nobody was allowed to quarantine at home, only in places where there was a shortage of beds. So its not as if he was denied an option that was open for other people in Samui. It might have been open for people in BKK at some point but never to those in Samui. 

Yes, if it turns out he was offered and refused a field facility then that's where my sympathy would go- completely.

I wonder too if there was just a total lack of communication that led to them just taking him somewhere nice out of desperation.

It's so frustrating not knowing the other side of the story. But it says the hospital has been asked for comment. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/

Been mentioned a few times in this topic already. Now its a bit over 1000 bt for basic package. I don't have this insurance I just have an Expat insurance from a French company AAInsurance or something pay a lot more get more too.

Edit: Scratched post due to error.

Edited by mommysboy

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, if it turns out he was offered and refused a field facility then that's where my sympathy would go- completely.

I wonder too if there was just a total lack of communication that led to them just taking him somewhere nice out of desperation.

It's so frustrating not knowing the other side of the story. But it says the hospital has been asked for comment. 

I missed that part thanks for noticing it. I think we are on the same page because i feel that if this was really forced upon him (i mean the more luxurious stay not the quarantine) then I agree with you.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I just had a look.  It says a requirement for a foreigner living in Thailand is passport plus work permit

That's us 'wife visa' boys done for I guess.

Strange but I havent looked at it as i got an other insurance that covers this too. Just saw this one mentioned a few times. I get the age limit. But I dont get the work permit thing.

I feel sorry for the expat. He's surely not alone! In fact many refuses to report covid cases for that reason. These hospitals do see an opportunity to squeeze cash out of foreigners pockets. So with that in mind, whenever they decide to open up the country for international tourism and if a tourist get's covid then they will force them to quarantine in a hotel or at the hospital and pay these hefty fees amounting to thousands of dollars. It reminds me of that Intl. flight from Emirates to Phuket a few months ago forcing the whole group of 12 to quarantine even though they tested negative with 1 vaccinated passenger positive, basically destroying their whole vacation. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Strange but I havent looked at it as i got an other insurance that covers this too. Just saw this one mentioned a few times. I get the age limit. But I dont get the work permit thing.

I misread it: it's work permit or been here for 6 months already.  I scratched my post.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but, but, but.............................. didn't you just reply to one? ????

I'm sorry, but I just don't know which post you are referring to, being stuck in the house all the time, I am on AN and getting posts and answering them all the time. Can you be more specific?

On 9/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, hioctane said:

All the more reason you should have travel insurance especially in this environment. Self insuring simply isn’t an option anymore.

In previous posts it says that he was in the Social Security system. When his business closed he would have been given 6 months cover under the SS system, then you are on your own. Thai's can pay B400/month and remain in the system but foreigners can't. This is another failing of Govt policy.  l have been though this myself, and at my age l can't get private medical insurance. At his age though he should have a private medical policy. Basically this is a case of extortion. l have just been through the same with another Govt entity. Pay this bill even though it is wrong or else.

1 hour ago, Khun Yogi said:

In previous posts it says that he was in the Social Security system. When his business closed he would have been given 6 months cover under the SS system, then you are on your own. Thai's can pay B400/month and remain in the system but foreigners can't. This is another failing of Govt policy.  l have been though this myself, and at my age l can't get private medical insurance. At his age though he should have a private medical policy. Basically this is a case of extortion. l have just been through the same with another Govt entity. Pay this bill even though it is wrong or else.

Actually foreigners can too plenty of posts saying as much. Strange that they refused you.

2 hours ago, Khun Yogi said:

Thai's can pay B400/month and remain in the system but foreigners can't.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Actually foreigners can too plenty of posts saying as much. Strange that they refused you.

As always with Thai red tape, it all depends on who you ask and on what day!

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Your posts are not worth bothering about.

Obviously, they're not bothering about if you've got nothing to back up your claims with.  Insurers do not try to avoid paying out on legitimate claims, neither do they use legal jargon to deny legitimate claims. If they did, there'd soon be no insurance industry.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolutely, and it's usually all myth!

Another one of your nonsense posts.

Not at all, but if it is nonsense, I'm sure that you can post something empirical to debunk my post that is a result of many years in the insurance industry both as a broker and being employed by insurers.    

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, they're not bothering about if you've got nothing to back up your claims with.  Insurers do not try to avoid paying out on legitimate claims, neither do they use legal jargon to deny legitimate claims. If they did, there'd soon be no insurance industry.

I say you are wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not at all, but if it is nonsense, I'm sure that you can post something empirical to debunk my post that is a result of many years in the insurance industry both as a broker and being employed by insurers.    

That says it all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, possum1931 said:
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I say you are wrong.

Well, that's your opinion and, clearly, you have nothing to back it up.   What I posted is not opinion, it is fact; insurers do not try to deny legitimate claims.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, that's your opinion and, clearly, you have nothing to back it up.   What I posted is not opinion, it is fact; insurers do not try to deny legitimate claims.

There is more I can say, but I do not wish to debate with you. I disagree with most of your opinions going by your emoticans.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I say you are wrong.

Expand  

I am currently contesting a refusal of cover with an insurer. 

They have used unfamiliar medical terminally masked in small print to deny a claim of a condition which cannot be classified as symptomatic or a reoccurring event, which also falls outside of a 24 months since treatment clause. 

I have since moved my whole family away from this Insurance Company - I believe they have unfairly used 'complex legal jargon’ which cannot be readily understood by the ‘layman’ to wiggle out of a payment for treatment. 

My case is not ‘water tight’, but I am claiming their contract which is to be signed by the layman (myself) was not clear in its terms and conditions and that my condition was not symptomatic, is not clearly outlined in the contract.

Additionally: The insurance Company Pre-Approved treatment, which I received at Bumrungrad, then reversed there decision leaving me with an extremely hefty bill - Ad the pre-approval been rejected, I could have fought the process then and if failed, I could have sought attention at a cheaper medical facility instead of being sent a large bill by Bumrungrad for treatment which the insurance has since refused to pay for. 

• Like 1