Selling land to foreigners is not treasonous - it's economic sense: Prayuth

webfact

19 hours ago, seajae said:

but is it only going to be sold to the rich or can those of us with thai wives/partners own the land we live on as well, just allowing "rich" non thias to own land is absolute BS as it will be bought purely to make a profit on, those of us living on the land we already own with our partners are committed to the long term and to Thailand, profits dont come into it, it is owning our own homes/land for our future and that of our thai families

I was with you right to the last sentence. The land and property I have bought in my wife's name though technically not mine will be for the term of my life and then will pass to my wife and children the future of my family is secure regardless of who holds the property title. And why is it your "thai" family...surely it's just your family? That's a bizarre thing to say

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It certainly will stimulate the economy and enable Thais to make money from selling land.

But will it really??  I don't know of anyone who didn't buy property (land and house) because they couldn't own it directly - everyone used a company; which is why there are so many "company lawyers and firms" in Pattaya.  So I don't understand how it would change things very much.

Also, isn't a major constitutional amendment required to allow nasty foreigners to own the holy land?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you did a poll I think you'll find the majority of foreigners wouldn't buy because they'd have to use a dodgy thai company, that's why many choose to buy a condo rather than a house

...and yet, condos continue to be a misleading value - in lifestyle and most certainly any future return.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

I can understand why they might not want foreigners to own land because they might purchase all the land and crowd the locals out, But that can be easily avoided. They can place limitations on the amount of land a foreigner can own, and it can only be for the primary residence in Thailand.  

I am sure they can come up with some language that will limit ownership of land to that needed for a private residence. 

It always starts like that, but once the first, reasonable, exception is made the door is open for change. It's not possible to "change" something that doesn't exist.

If NZ is an example of what happens when foreign "investors" can buy land, I hope Thailand never allows foreign land ownership.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They actually own a lot in the U.S.  California for example has millions of Chinese mostly who have come over the past 30 years buying homes, land and businesses.

I do not think it will ever happen in Thailand but I believe Prayuth is correct.  It will probably help stimulate the economy and create some appreciation in real estate which has been lacking for years.

'Create some appreciation in real estate which has been lacking for years'???

Real Estate has been appreciating enormously for the past 20 years.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

"It's not treason!" he spouted. "It's stimulating the economy. Don't say that!"

Oooh seems like little 'ol tu tu don't like that word TREASON maybe he should sue Wikipedia who claim that seizing of a government and its powers is Treason, it is an illegal unconstitutional seizure of power by a political faction, the MILITARY, or a word beginning with Dic. think i'm not allowed here to finish that word.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, seajae said:

but is it only going to be sold to the rich or can those of us with thai wives/partners own the land we live on as well, just allowing "rich" non thias to own land is absolute BS as it will be bought purely to make a profit on, those of us living on the land we already own with our partners are committed to the long term and to Thailand, profits dont come into it, it is owning our own homes/land for our future and that of our thai families

Maybe the same as owning a business. can buy the land, but need 7 Thai partners to do it. Ha!

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Oooh seems like little 'ol tu tu don't like that word TREASON maybe he should sue Wikipedia who claim that seizing of a government and its powers is Treason, it is an illegal unconstitutional seizure of power by a political faction, the MILITARY, or a word beginning with Dic. think i'm not allowed here to finish that word.

It certainly is not a word I would expect senior politicians to be bandying around. Actually indicative of how they are not suited to the position.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:57 PM, chalawaan said:

It's always the Chinese, innit?

The "Chinese" include vast numbers of formerly British dependent diligent Hong Kongers, and competent Singaporeans, both of which, frankly, I'd rather have living next door, than a western economic refugee in his Chang wife-beater.

If you had property here you'd be all for it, and the silent majority of middle class Thais with economic smarts cannot wait to sell the place off!

Since it's such a "big mistake", perhaps you could come up with some constructive answers:

What's the alternative?

How has having thousands of empty homes in boom times helped the nation?

Who will ever buy them here if the "Chinese" and others don't?

Should they just let those assets rot out of xenophobia and "fomo" in some never-never future moment when they finally get their financial <deleted> together? 

How many jobs will maintaining these once dormant assets create?

How amazing would Bangkok be if the shuttered hotels were used to house thousands of cashed up immigrants, the Cantonese from Hong Kong, bringing their industry, capitalist ethics, and wonderful cuisine here?

Take the racist Chinese blinkers off, they're not all clones of Xi. 

Been out here in SEA long enough to see what happens.  Not racist, not negative, stating facts.  And it is not my job to come upnwith constructive solutions,  it's the government's job.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

You probably right this being Thailand,  . I really don't care one way or another, Being married over 12 years now. The house being under my wife's name is fine with me, and if she leaves me , (Oh god how I wish some times) she deserves it for having out up with my smelly ass and cantankerous disposition for 12 years, 

I am trying to be nice and get another one year extension from the wife. LOL  

Don’t worry I reckon as long as u hand in ur fat monthly pay-check u good for another month in ur house.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, DaveSamutP said:

For Thailand, though, it's my expectation they will lure foreigners in, have them buy land and property and then systematically steal it back from foreigners. I genuinely believe this. 

Really? How will they do that? Systematically round up the new landowners at gunpoint in the Land Department and force them to sign back their land? 

22 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

Really? How will they do that? Systematically round up the new landowners at gunpoint in the Land Department and force them to sign back their land? 

Nah just change the law again that its illegal for foreigners to own land and reverse it all back to thais.????

Well, it is a 'double-edged sword'.  In my opinion, the property laws should allow expats married to Thais, or who have permanent residence, to have legal ownership of at least the family's primary residence.  Expats being able to own land beyond the primary residence, I can see as eventually causing what happened in Vancouver, BC, as previously pointed out in this discussion. 

And yes, the Thai real estate market (and legal system) needs some serious reforming.  The house next to us in BKK was abandoned for over a decade by the owner; what a frelling eyesore and mess.  Our community manager tried, but could do little to get the owner to cut the yard and clean the place up.  We inquired about buying it, but the price was way out there (we are sure she figured that since she had a 'rich' farang living next door....)  Finally, finally, the bank managed to get a court to agree that she had been in default on the loan for years and allowed them to repossess and sell it. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see them allow limited land purchases if it is related to your domicile. Allow foreigners who move and live in Thailand to own their home. I'm fine with restrictions on people looking to buy investment properties or hold/flip real estate.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, seajae said:

Allowing those that would prefer to live off the land would make more sense. Whether or not married to a Thai. Versus wealthy persons buying up huge swaths of land for personal profit.

I can understand why some Thai people are against it. Land could be scooped up all over Thailand by rich foreigners thus excluding many Thai people from being able to buy. Could drive up prices as well. Look at places like Vancouver in Canada. Supposedly 25% of real estate is owned by Chinese or others who do not live in the country. Price for land or housing is unaffordable by most locals. Rent is sky high. So everybody wants to go to a restaurant, or go shopping at a local mall, but the employees who work in them can not afford to own or rent a property. 

I think the money will win out in Thailand. There is not much long term planning that goes into this stuff.