Dual pricing at Thai hospital case: Decision delayed after case handed to judges

snoop1130

As foreigners, you can’t be objective on this topic. This is the first thing to understand, 8If you are financially affected by a decision one way or another you will be biased.

Basically, you’re opinions are biased and don’t count from the get go. 

There are any number of legit reasons Thais may pay less than foreigners in government facilities and national parks. Every time you bring these reasons up you are met with emotional, subjective retorts, that… don’t mean anything. Here are even all sorts of examples in western countries where foreigners pay exorbitantly more than locals (but expats don’t complain in those cases, go figure).

You’re biased, your opinion does not count. It would be like a divorcee settling his divorce case. It’s ridiculous, you don’t get a opinion that actually counts. 

Private businesses are another matter I think though. And I believe that objectively it is wrong for private businesses to charge foreign customers more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Haha 1

I salut you. Unfortunately we aren't all wealthy enough to stand up against the misinterpreted fact that all farang are rich. I would like to hear if there's lawyers her that work of a win case payed basé ? Not pro bono but payed if they win? 

22 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I had a similar experience, but my farang friend was from Hawaii and he looks like a Thai. He was standing next to his wife so she paid for them both at the Thai price, and I paid at the farang price. It’s actually a form of racism based on skin colour.

The old excuse was Thais were poor foreigners were rich, therefore they could afford to pay more to subsidise the attraction.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

And in many instances it dose, under the old and worn out excuse that Thais are poor while foreigners are "rich" maybe 40-50 years ago it would hold true, not now days though...

The problem is there are actually a lot of quite poor Thais so for public hospitals I think there should be a base fee to cover those that are needy! Not sure how this would be applied but definitley not all Thais are flush with cash.

The Military hospital l use used to have signs up in English quite clearly stating that foreigners would be charged double the price of Thais. l notice that those signs have gone and l now pay B600 for a doctors visit and Thais pay B30 or B200. It is a damn good hospital, but l now have to look elsewhere.

Dual pricing in a form applies all over the world.

Most would know how airport cafes charge like scrub bulls ....hit the tourist/traveller.

Service station cafes the same thing when travelling around compared to your corner cafe.

Get over it and move on.......

If this bloke has cancer as they say, i'd say the stress would not be good for him anyhow.

I have no problem with paying extra to enter National parks or whatever or paying where Thai is free.

Edited by bluejets
  • Confused 1

They also have different prices for insured and not insured which always annoys me.

I pay myself to get reimbursed later. It's awkward to say your not insured to get the lower price (incase your claim isn't approved) but then have to ask for a medical certificate typically needed for insurance.

I suspect a lot of people of not even aware of this.

31 minutes ago, fabruer said:

And you really do believe that park rangers would really care one iota about you making a stand?

I believe even employees at a private company wouldn't care. From my experience most employees understanding here it's their boss who pays their salaries, not their customers.

exactly .... Thai's are not known for thinking outside the box.  It's he pays me .... and that's it.

Park rangers couldn't care less if every farang didn't pay or enter.  Same goes for immigration, Big C or any other Thai conglomerate,  and the Thai government couldn't care less what farang think about Thailand and it's rules .... it's the same with any government, why should they.  You are a visitor and nothing more.  imo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

You may well be correct, in any eventuality it will be interesting to see how the judge justifies it, if it goes against the Dutch guy!

I do not believe judges here are accountable for their decisions, to anyone.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I salute the guy for sticking to his guns Bravo!  I hope he is successful doing do it is a win for everyone.  Deep in my heart I hope I'm wrong but negatively towards their government leaders I would be very surprise if the good old boys network will rule in favor the saying " the more patriotic the more stupid "  these guys come from the same swamp they will stick together use their backward logic and come up with a smooth decision that they are protecting their people.

If it is against the law for duel pricing if the late HM, stated years back in one of his Birthday speeches even Puppet O, both have said duel pricing is an black eye on Thailand yet just last year the government past a law that it is o.k. for public hospital to start yet since then as far as I know no Thai is standing up saying this is a bad law. 

Regardless of who you are where you come from getting sick, having an accident particularly getting old no matter how much you work to take care of yourself your body wear and break down the last thing you want to do when it happens is to think you are going to be ripped off instead of Doctors and hospital treating you they only think $$$$.

Foreigners are also human we are not alone even the locals think the same it is all relative in terms of cost. I know a lot of Thais under their own system would not go to the hospital because of the cost until it is too late. Under their system if you aren't register in the province aren't eligible for the NHS you pay a bit more that bit more for a poor deter them from getting treatment.  The current pandemic has shown my statement shipping sick people on public transport back to their own province, labor contractor shipping infected migrant workers to other provinces like Chon Buri because the testing is free where as it is charged in others.

Stop the nonsense do what is humanly right otherwise it is time to stop using  " LAND OF SMILE "????

Fully agree with you.  It's a bad state of affairs when nationality determines cost of treatment,  government needs to act positively and end their dual pricing before anyone in private sector 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have not once heard of or read a valid argument which justifies ‘dual pricing’ based on *nationality alone. 

Agreed, I should have worded my initial post more accurately i.e. "As a tourist I have no problem paying a reasonable surcharge to ensure locals can use/see national treasures/attractions at an affordable price - 10 x the price is not reasonable IMO."

As you say, as a resident it becomes a different matter.

sllightly off topic, but similar, i had a coconut tree overhanging my roof, it was actually in my Thai neighbours garden, twice coconuts fell and smashed my roof tiles, i asked him to trim it so it wasnt over hanging, he wanted 10,000 to remove it. so i went to the local Police station, explained that i should be allowed to cut anything that overhung my property.

The Police agreed and said that was law in Thailand to be able to trim the tree, but we cant do anything for you and you cant do it yourself because "Farangs have no voice in Thailand".... directly from the RTP..... so i had to pay the neigbour to remove the tree, he wouldnt trim it down. so will Mr Buse have a voice? only time will tell.... good luck and well done for standing up for us all....

• Like 1

Tourists should pay more? Not really convinced of the rationale of that statement. Also and more importantly, not because you ain't thai means you are a tourist. The thai really seem to struggle to come to terms with that notion. It's quite simple though. Let's try once again:  IT IS NOT BECAUSE I AM NOT THAI THAT I AM NECESSARILY A TOURIST. Any form of discrimination (positive or negative that is)  based on race or ethnicity is despicable!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

And in many instances it dose, under the old and worn out excuse that Thais are poor while foreigners are "rich" maybe 40-50 years ago it would hold true, not now days though...

And seriously what has "rich" got to do with anything. Ones ability to pay "more" should not mean they have to. This double-pricing policy has only one thing driving it: GREED

• Like 1