Dual pricing at Thai hospital case: Decision delayed after case handed to judges

snoop1130

11 hours ago, d2b2 said:

But the government is going out of their way and falling over themselves to establish new visas to attract them?

the basic philosophies of any military-based government lean towards control, and copious gathering of information - worthless or not.

This is reflected in the governments attitude towards foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for any length of time.

The idea that they should be left to their own devices is an anathema to any military government.     .  yet it conflicts with the need to bring in foreign money and establish a tourist industry.

Many countries overcome their inherent xenophobia and realise that issuing longer visas tourist and creates income. Treating foreigners responsibly and fairly works for them in the end - one just has to persuade those in power to relax a little.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:00 AM, thailand49 said:

I salute the guy for sticking to his guns Bravo!  I hope he is successful doing do it is a win for everyone.  Deep in my heart I hope I'm wrong but negatively towards their government leaders I would be very surprise if the good old boys network will rule in favor the saying " the more patriotic the more stupid "  these guys come from the same swamp they will stick together use their backward logic and come up with a smooth decision that they are protecting their people.

If it is against the law for duel pricing if the late HM, stated years back in one of his Birthday speeches even Puppet O, both have said duel pricing is an black eye on Thailand yet just last year the government past a law that it is o.k. for public hospital to start yet since then as far as I know no Thai is standing up saying this is a bad law. 

Regardless of who you are where you come from getting sick, having an accident particularly getting old no matter how much you work to take care of yourself your body wear and break down the last thing you want to do when it happens is to think you are going to be ripped off instead of Doctors and hospital treating you they only think $$$$.

Foreigners are also human we are not alone even the locals think the same it is all relative in terms of cost. I know a lot of Thais under their own system would not go to the hospital because of the cost until it is too late. Under their system if you aren't register in the province aren't eligible for the NHS you pay a bit more that bit more for a poor deter them from getting treatment.  The current pandemic has shown my statement shipping sick people on public transport back to their own province, labor contractor shipping infected migrant workers to other provinces like Chon Buri because the testing is free where as it is charged in others.

Stop the nonsense do what is humanly right otherwise it is time to stop using  " LAND OF SMILE "????

Can you provide a reference for the King's speech ?  If so we could all carry a print out with us.

I agree, do not use LOS but LOC (land of corruption)

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

the basic philosophies of any military-based government lean towards control, and copious gathering of information - worthless or not.

This is reflected in the governments attitude towards foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for any length of time.

The idea that they should be left to their own devices is an anathema to any military government.     .  yet it conflicts with the need to bring in foreign money and establish a tourist industry.

Many countries overcome their inherent xenophobia and realise that issuing longer visas tourist and creates income. Treating foreigners responsibly and fairly works for them in the end - one just has to persuade those in power to relax a little.

You are too obvious in your prejudices.  Wishing to control foreigners is not a military trait as such.  No communist regime will allw foreigners freedom. 

3 hours ago, thaibook said:

Can you provide a reference for the King's speech ?  If so we could all carry a print out with us.

I agree, do not use LOS but LOC (land of corruption)

You will need to go back a number of years prior to his death,  when he was able to still on his birthday make a presents to the people yearly made a speech I read it on the Bangkok post this mus have been 3-5 years prior he stopped.  I also read an article on Thai Visa a year or two after the current PM took over and made a similar speech.

On 9/25/2021 at 4:48 AM, thaibook said:

You are too obvious in your prejudices.  Wishing to control foreigners is not a military trait as such.  No communist regime will allw foreigners freedom. 

You don't seem to Rea;ise that your statement is itself an oxymoron.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:42 AM, Salerno said:

Does that apply to dual pricing/tourist surcharges around the world or just Thailand?

I was a professional tourguide for over 30 years irrespective or nationally or what country we were in all my clients paid the same...except Thailand 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

I was a professional tourguide for over 30 years irrespective or nationally or what country we were in all my clients paid the same...except Thailand 

How many locals did you guide on these tours and which countries?

It's a worldwide issue not a Thai specific:

1617632788_Dual-Pricing--Two-Points-of-View-Citizen-and-Non-citizen-Case-of-Entrance-Fees-in-Tourist-Facilities-in-Nepal.png.9f96a6553755f0d49fbc17eca4ca2766.png

A quick search will turn up numerous articles and blogs on it such as:

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/travel/article/2169925/should-tourists-pay-more-locals-dual-pricing-debate

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/is-it-reasonable-to-pay-tourist-prices-when-travelling-overseas/11395356

https://pro.regiondo.com/pricing-discrimination-in-the-eu-and-how-it-affects-tour-operators/

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/42227/what-countries-have-separate-pricing-fees-for-international-tourists-for-country

https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/article/dual-pricing-needed-draw-local-guests

To suggest it's a "Thai thing" is ludicrous.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Salerno said:

I fail to see how others doing  justifies Thailand doin it.

If you google a bit more, you'll find studies that stay it doesn't actually help tourism or income for the sites concerned apart from reducing wear and tear.

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I fail to see how others doing  justifies Thailand doin it.

It doesn't, neither does it make it less disgusting when it comes to the particular situation in the OP - health care. But it gets tiresome when people try to claim it as a purely Thai thing to carry out a bit of "Thai bashing" instead of concentrating on the issue itself.

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

If you google a bit more, you'll find studies that stay it doesn't actually help tourism or income for the sites concerned apart from reducing wear and tear.

Read them and mostly agree with them too. I have no doubt many do the same as I and let our wallets do the talking; hit me with an extra $ or two and probably no big deal, hit me with a 10x mark up and I go elsewhere (or at least make it a one-off visit for those that live in the area rather than a regular occurrence, in which case they still lose out potential revenue).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

It doesn't, neither does it make it less disgusting when it comes to the particular situation in the OP - health care. But it gets tiresome when people try to claim it as a purely Thai thing to carry out a bit of "Thai bashing" instead of concentrating on the issue itself.

Read them and mostly agree with them too. I have no doubt many do the same as I and let our wallets do the talking; hit me with an extra $ or two and probably no big deal, hit me with a 10x mark up and I go elsewhere (or at least make it a one-off visit for those that live in the area rather than a regular occurrence, in which case they still lose out potential revenue).

It is largely a Thai thing - in many circumstances it isn't a SURCHARGE on foreigners but a discount for locals.

National heritage sites/monuments and Education this is often the case. 

Im many =cases if you LIVE locally you get discount - regardless of nationality.

10 hours ago, Thunglom said:

It is largely a Thai thing - in many circumstances it isn't a SURCHARGE on foreigners but a discount for locals.

National heritage sites/monuments and Education this is often the case. 

Im many =cases if you LIVE locally you get discount - regardless of nationality.

'...discount for locals...' is quite common in the US and certainly not '...largely a Thai thing...'.  

7 hours ago, newnative said:

'...discount for locals...' is quite common in the US and certainly not '...largely a Thai thing...'.  

7 hours ago, newnative said:

Eh?

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Eh?

What's to 'Eh?'.  This has already been discussed to death.  Discounts for locals is not 'largely a Thai thing', as you claim.  If you go camping in a state park in Pennsylvania, in the US, PA residents pay one charge and non-residents pay a higher charge.  That's dual pricing.  In Virginia, and many other states, local state residents pay less to go to a state college than non-local residents.  And, foreign students pay even more.  That's triple pricing.  Seniors often get discount prices--even though many are well-off.  More dual pricing.

Often local amusements and attractions will have a local price and a non-local price.  Disney World in Florida, for example, has a discount pass for Florida residents. Dual pricing.   In America, if you go to a concert at a college or university, the students likely got a student discount on their tickets.  Non-students usually pay more.  Dual pricing.   Several other posters have given examples of dual pricing in countries other than Thailand.  It's not 'largely a Thai thing'.  

5 hours ago, newnative said:

What's to 'Eh?'.  This has already been discussed to death.  Discounts for locals is not 'largely a Thai thing', as you claim.  If you go camping in a state park in Pennsylvania, in the US, PA residents pay one charge and non-residents pay a higher charge.  That's dual pricing.  In Virginia, and many other states, local state residents pay less to go to a state college than non-local residents.  And, foreign students pay even more.  That's triple pricing.  Seniors often get discount prices--even though many are well-off.  More dual pricing.

Often local amusements and attractions will have a local price and a non-local price.  Disney World in Florida, for example, has a discount pass for Florida residents. Dual pricing.   In America, if you go to a concert at a college or university, the students likely got a student discount on their tickets.  Non-students usually pay more.  Dual pricing.   Several other posters have given examples of dual pricing in countries other than Thailand.  It's not 'largely a Thai thing'.  

As I said "EH?" - you don't seem to understand what I said about discounts or the difference between discount and surcharge and a lot of your information is consequently wrong.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

As I said "EH?" - you don't seem to understand what I said about discounts or the difference between discount and surcharge and a lot of your information is consequently wrong.

What's to not understand.  Couldn't be simpler.  You said discounts for locals is, I quote, 'largely a Thai thing'.  It's not.  The examples I gave were all discounts for locals so not 'consequently wrong'.  

22 hours ago, newnative said:

So "eh?" - doesn't seem to have anything to do with what you quoted from me.

What's to 'Eh?'.  This has already been discussed to death.  Discounts for locals is not 'largely a Thai thing', as you claim.  If you go camping in a state park in Pennsylvania, in the US, PA residents pay one charge and non-residents pay a higher charge.  That's dual pricing. 

This is not the same. This excuse has been used time and time again in an almost Stockholm syndrome manner to excuse the inexcusable behaviour of dual pricing - ALL such excuses can readily be picked apart. 

IF your This Wife is also a resident of Pennsylvania, she is not charged 5x or 10x the ’non-residents’ charge. 

OR, if a Thai family (or a family of any other nationality) are living and working in Pennsylvanian, they do will receive the ‘local residents discount’ - they are not excluded by nationality or race. 

In Virginia, and many other states, local state residents pay less to go to a state college than non-local residents.  And, foreign students pay even more.  That's triple pricing. 

Again, IF a Thai family (or a family of any other nationality) are living and working in Virginia (for the ’stipulated’ amount of time), they are considered local state resident and pay less tuition, equally, so IF a Thai family (or a family of any other nationality) are living and working in another state in the US they pay national fees - They are not excluded or charged by nationality or race. 

Seniors often get discount prices--even though many are well-off.  More dual pricing.

Equally so, a senior of any nationality or race would receive the same treatment and are not excluded based on nationality or race. 

Often local amusements and attractions will have a local price and a non-local price.  Disney World in Florida, for example, has a discount pass for Florida residents. Dual pricing.   

Anyone of any nationality and race can achieve the ‘local residents price’ if they are a local resident, they are not excluded based on nationality or race. 

In America, if you go to a concert at a college or university, the students likely got a student discount on their tickets.  Non-students usually pay more.  Dual pricing.   

But a student of any nationality or race gets the same ’student discount’ - there is no exclusion based race or nationality. 

Several other posters have given examples of dual pricing in countries other than Thailand.  It's not 'largely a Thai thing'.  

The examples, as the examples you have provided above are flawed and easily picked apart. 

Additionally, IF the distasteful practice of dual charging does occur elsewhere, it does not excuse the behaviour or make it any more acceptable. 

You have failed in every single one of your examples to excuse the distasteful practice of dual-pricing as it exists in Thailand based on nationality. 

On 9/30/2021 at 2:56 AM, Salerno said:

Yes - but in all of the examples the ‘local discounts’ are not based upon Nationality alone, but based on ’tourists'.

IF a National Park in Chiang Mai do not offer my Thai-Wife and I a discount because our ID shows we are residents of Bangkok, I do not object. 

But, If my Thai Wife is offered a discount and I am not because of my nationality I find that distasteful. 

I would find it equally distasteful if a local attracting in the UK charged my wife more because she is not British.

Additionally, we all know the ‘discount for local residents’ excuse for ‘dual-priceing’ does not really hold water as there is never a discount for locals, it is a surcharge of 5x to 10x for non-Thai’s.

This ‘local residents’ excuse to justify ‘dual pricing’ in an attempt to draw parallels with the occurrence of 'residents discounts’ in other nations is a flawed example which does not explain away or excuse the overcharging based on nationality.

Where this [‘dual pricing’ / ‘over charging based on nationality’] exists, where ever that is, which ever country it exists, it is a wholly distasteful practice and borders on being offensive. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 6:46 PM, NeoDinosaw said:
On 9/23/2021 at 9:48 AM, actonion said:

My [Thai} wife and i were sitting at an outsside table at a  Pattaya Restaurant, i was staring at a  menu board in Thai language  belonging  to the Laundry next door..

I was interested as to why each item listed  had 2 prices,  ie;  socks, underwear,  shirts, etc ....I  asked my wife is  that price listing for large  & small items, she replied ,  no  its one price for Thai and  1 price for foreigners..........even in a laundry??

Expand  

That's because farang people are bigger than Thais; their clothes are bigger  - so reasonable to charge more to clean them ????

Nope... Its dual pricing... it is simply charging a foreigner more because they want to profit more from a foreigner - the underlying attitude is one of ’the foreigner should pay more because they are not Thai’.... its dual pricing.

IF the laundry charged by weight and charged everyone the same rate per kilo - that would not be dual pricing. 

But, given the ‘apparent’ attitude of the laundry owner, I would suspect that IF they charged by kilo, there would be a lesser charged for Thai’s and a greater charge for a foreigner - ‘dual pricing’.... 

I am yet to see an argument to justify dual pricing - no matter how many flawed attempts I read. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is not the same. This excuse has been used time and time again in an almost Stockholm syndrome manner to excuse the inexcusable behaviour of dual pricing - ALL such excuses can readily be picked apart. 

IF your This Wife is also a resident of Pennsylvania, she is not charged 5x or 10x the ’non-residents’ charge. 

OR, if a Thai family (or a family of any other nationality) are living and working in Pennsylvanian, they do will receive the ‘local residents discount’ - they are not excluded by nationality or race. 

Again, IF a Thai family (or a family of any other nationality) are living and working in Virginia (for the ’stipulated’ amount of time), they are considered local state resident and pay less tuition, equally, so IF a Thai family (or a family of any other nationality) are living and working in another state in the US they pay national fees - They are not excluded or charged by nationality or race. 

Equally so, a senior of any nationality or race would receive the same treatment and are not excluded based on nationality or race. 

Anyone of any nationality and race can achieve the ‘local residents price’ if they are a local resident, they are not excluded based on nationality or race. 

But a student of any nationality or race gets the same ’student discount’ - there is no exclusion based race or nationality. 

The examples, as the examples you have provided above are flawed and easily picked apart. 

Additionally, IF the distasteful practice of dual charging does occur elsewhere, it does not excuse the behaviour or make it any more acceptable. 

You have failed in every single one of your examples to excuse the distasteful practice of dual-pricing as it exists in Thailand based on nationality. 

My post was in response to another poster's claim that dual pricing is 'largely a Thai thing'.  I was in no way arguing for or against dual pricing and you will not find any arguments for or against it in my post.  I was simply stating that dual pricing exists in other countries and it is not just a "Thai thing'.

The examples I gave are all legitimate ones and are only examples of dual pricing and nothing else--one group is charged one price and another group is charged a different price.  Two prices for the same thing, based on certain criteria--which you may or may not think is fair.   Common in places other than Thailand.  Not saying it's good or bad, just that it exists.  Your post seems largely concerned with who gets the lower price and who doesn't.  Who is considered a legal resident and who isn't.  That's an entirely separate issue.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, newnative said:

My post was in response to another poster's claim that dual pricing is 'largely a Thai thing'.  I was in no way arguing for or against dual pricing and you will not find any arguments for or against it in my post.  I was simply stating that dual pricing exists in other countries and it is not just a "Thai thing'.

The examples I gave are all legitimate ones and are only examples of dual pricing and nothing else--one group is charged one price and another group is charged a different price.  Two prices for the same thing, based on certain criteria--which you may or may not think is fair.   Common in places other than Thailand.  Not saying it's good or bad, just that it exists.  Your post seems largely concerned with who gets the lower price and who doesn't.  Who is considered a legal resident and who isn't.  That's an entirely separate issue.  

This ‘entirely separate’ issue as you describe it is the specific issue of ‘Dual Pricing’ based on nationality... it is the subject of the Topic where foreigners are charged more.

A pensioner getting a free bus pass is unrelated to the distasteful behaviour of charging foreigners more for no other reason than they are a foreigner. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This ‘entirely separate’ issue as you describe it is the specific issue of ‘Dual Pricing’ based on nationality... it is the subject of the Topic where foreigners are charged more.

A pensioner getting a free bus pass is unrelated to the distasteful behaviour of charging foreigners more for no other reason than they are a foreigner. 

As an American national, my entrance fee to visit Norway is 0.  A Thai national pays 80 Euros.   When my Thai partner and I visited China, I was charged a 4560 baht entrance fee, my partner 1000 baht.  Both are examples of dual pricing based on nationality.  Not going to get into the various reasons why one nationality is charged more and another nationality less to visit this country or that country,   Also, again not making any comments on fairness.  Just pointing out that dual pricing exists beyond the Thai borders. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am yet to see an argument to justify dual pricing - no matter how many flawed attempts I read.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No it doesn’t - Provide an example where Dual Pricing based on nationality alone exists in any developed nation.

In Australia, citizens get hospital and most medical care free, everyone else pays. Is that not dual pricing based on nationality?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No it doesn’t - Provide an example where Dual Pricing based on nationality alone exists in any developed nation.

In Australia, citizens get hospital and most medical care free, everyone else pays. Is that not dual pricing based on nationality?

No its not... because someone of a different nationality can obtain residency in Australia and receive equal treatment (hospital and most medical care free).

IF Non-National moves to Australia the can enrol in Australia's medical benefits and hospital care scheme.

An Australian can move back to Australia with a foreign spouse and they an obtain a 'permanent partner visa’ and easily enrol in the medical benefits and hospital care scheme which allows them free access to any public hospital. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No its not... because someone of a different nationality can obtain residency in Australia and receive equal treatment (hospital and most medical care free).

IF Non-National moves to Australia the can enrol in Australia's medical benefits and hospital care scheme.

An Australian can move back to Australia with a foreign spouse and they an obtain a 'permanent partner visa’ and easily enrol in the medical benefits and hospital care scheme which allows them free access to any public hospital. 

Did Mr Buse have permanent residency status? Or a valid work permit?

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Did Mr Buse have permanent residency status? Or a valid work permit?

Your argument is in direct contradiction with your intention of justify dual pricing and highlights a greater ‘dual standards’ issue. 

Even IF Mr Buse had a Work Permit, he would still encounter Dual-Pricing, equally, so if he had PR status because the policy is based on Nationality not residency status (and thats the same with national parks and other government ran public parks and sports facilities).

Additionally, its very unlikely Mr Buse had PR status because it's so difficult for a foreigner to get compared to a Thai living in Australia or the UK (the duals standard issue).

Example: I’m married to a Thai, have lived here over 20 years - but I can’t get PR because I’ve never worked here for a 3 year period in one stretch. If I went to the same hospital I’d suffer dual-pricing.

However, if we lived in the UK for over 20 years my Wife would already be a British citizen and receive free health care.