Dual pricing at Thai hospital case: Decision delayed after case handed to judges

snoop1130

7 hours ago, bluejets said:

Dual pricing in a form applies all over the world.

Most would know how airport cafes charge like scrub bulls ....hit the tourist/traveller.

Service station cafes the same thing when travelling around compared to your corner cafe.

Get over it and move on.......

If this bloke has cancer as they say, i'd say the stress would not be good for him anyhow.

I have no problem with paying extra to enter National parks or whatever or paying where Thai is free.

What you’re talking about is not dual pricing. Dual pricing is about overcharging people based on their race or nationality. What you are talking about is rip off pricing where everyone gets ripped off.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Not a good comparison and not accurate - it depends on where you come from and which University.

You also need to bear in mind that University places ae often subsidised for local students - with scholarships and discounts.

The situation is not satisfactory, particularly after the loss of Erazumus due to Brexit but it again doesn't justify or mitigate Thailand's policies.

UK and EU students at English universities are required to pay up to £9,250 (~US$13,050) per year. 

International undergraduate tuition fees vary considerably, starting at around £10,000 (~US$14,130) and going up to £38,000 (~US$53,700)

Good point but it is still dual pricing. I wasn't trying to mitigate Thai policy just trying to point out that dual pricing is not a Thai phenomenon

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed, and some foreigners can get on the same scheme. 

In this case (of the Dutch guy) he was charged extra for being a foreigner while receiving the same treatment as a Thai - I can’t see how the hospital costs involved could be any more than for a Thai. 

What is their increased cost base ?....   Does a hospital pay a higher salary for a nurse, porter, doctor who also speaks English ? (perhaps they do, I don’t know). 

IF I go to those a hospitals and speak with the Doctors and Nurses in Thai, do I get a discount ?

A hospital attracts international and wealthier patients by advertising and offering higher standards of care.

Bumrungrad markets to Middle Eastern clients because they will pay a higher premium for the quality of treatment and service, as will wealthy Thai’s and many other foreigners. 

But, to my knowledge, Bumrungrad does not charge one nationality, Thai or otherwise any more or less for the same treatment. Its just all expensive !

I see your point. It is like a Emirates airhostes with 7 flags on her uniform. Language is such an integrated part of the airline industry that we all pay the same whether we use the service or not.

Now imagine a Japanese hospital where 99.99% of communication is done in Japanese and suddenly Joe from Montana show up with his guts falling out. Interpretators are called in, English speaking nurses and doctors stay on overtime. An report is typed and proofread in English before sent to the insurance company.

Dual language service does have a cost.

We totally agree it was wrong when Siam Ocean World at Paragon and the Ferris Wheel at Asiatique charged foreigners more for the exact same service and experience.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, ezzra said:

And in many instances it dose, under the old and worn out excuse that Thais are poor while foreigners are "rich" maybe 40-50 years ago it would hold true, not now days though...

Agree ..... remember this.....

IMG_4810.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobU said:

Good point but it is still dual pricing. I wasn't trying to mitigate Thai policy just trying to point out that dual pricing is not a Thai phenomenon

I don't think it is relevant that Thailand is not unique - however it is probably more common here than just about anywhere else and much more as a ssurcharge as opposed to discount.

8 hours ago, actonion said:

My [Thai} wife and i were sitting at an outsside table at a  Pattaya Restaurant, i was staring at a  menu board in Thai language  belonging  to the Laundry next door..

I was interested as to why each item listed  had 2 prices,  ie;  socks, underwear,  shirts, etc ....I  asked my wife is  that price listing for large  & small items, she replied ,  no  its one price for Thai and  1 price for foreigners..........even in a laundry??

That's because farang people are bigger than Thais; their clothes are bigger  - so reasonable to charge more to clean them ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Keesters said:

And what if you don't drive or have a license. Disabled & blind foreigners still to be ripped off for recieving the same goods or services. 

I am planning on getting an international driving licence in UK for a year - only costs about £10.  Much cheaper than having to take the test again and payin for a Thai licence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Not a good comparison and not accurate - it depends on where you come from and which University.

You also need to bear in mind that University places ae often subsidised for local students - with scholarships and discounts.

The situation is not satisfactory, particularly after the loss of Erazumus due to Brexit but it again doesn't justify or mitigate Thailand's policies.

UK and EU students at English universities are required to pay up to £9,250 (~US$13,050) per year. 

International undergraduate tuition fees vary considerably, starting at around £10,000 (~US$14,130) and going up to £38,000 (~US$53,700)

Looks accurate to me .........

35 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

I don't think it is relevant that Thailand is not unique - however it is probably more common here than just about anywhere else and much more as a ssurcharge as opposed to discount.

I was answering the many posts which imply 'only in Thailand' which is also not relevant

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

But being Thai speaking I require no special treatment. You seem to be destroying your own argument. 

No, the difference is being an alien/farang/foreigner/guest, not the quality of same in whatever specific subjects, which could be language - which was an example mentioned by another poster that I quoted - you might still require different service level compared to a Thai, and you are still a farang...????

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

n many, probably most countries, dual pricing based on race is illegal.

in the famous FOZ DO IGUACU park, there are four prices:

one price for brazilians, one for argentinians, one for south americans and another one

for all the rest.

makes sense to me, becuase it is like "national" park, and anyway not a product

you consume daily.

health services, on the other hand, are another realm. much more complicated.

i was never charged more when i went to local clnics. but i am still upset with the 8000 baht i

had to pay for 3 PCR tests when entered thailand. propably the highest price in the world.

total rip off.

So, the government has announced a public policy goal of attracting "rich people" to visit and presumably to retire in Thailand.  What they fail to understand is that rich people do NOT like to pay more than other people.  If this goes the wrong way, Thailand can kiss the rich people goodby. 

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Based on 5 pages of posts, isnt it clear dual pricing is acceptable to many, maybe one reason this racist practice exists? 

Off hand, I can't think of any dual pricing I have come across that is 'racist'.  In many cases it's aged-based, nationalistic-based, or residency-based--a country's citizens or a state or province's citizens getting a lower price.  In America, you would often see dual prices for in-state residents vs. out-of-state visitors--such as camping fees at a state park, for example.  In-state and out of state tuition at state colleges.

None of this was racist--one race was not being charged more or less than other races.  A Virginia resident of any race got a lower tuition rate than an out-of-state resident at the state community college where I worked.  Non-US students from foreign countries were charged even more.  

I, for one, do not have a problem with dual pricing and I have never come across any outrageous price difference here in Thailand--when I have encountered them the price difference has been reasonable.  I'm not a citizen of Thailand and I am happy to pay the foreign rate; those who object have the option to vote with their feet.  

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

No, the difference is being an alien/farang/foreigner/guest, not the quality of same in whatever specific subjects, which could be language - which was an example mentioned by another poster that I quoted - you might still require different service level compared to a Thai, and you are still a farang...????

How many times do I have to say it: I require no different service level than a Thai. 

Tell me how being a farang justifies the hospital charging me more when I don't require more. 

You're beginning to sound like you're on the side of this racist/discriminatory practice of dual-pricing/greed. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, fabruer said:

And you really do believe that park rangers would really care one iota about you making a stand?

I believe even employees at a private company wouldn't care. From my experience most employees understanding here it's their boss who pays their salaries, not their customers.

Well the stand counts for there bosses not getting the money and that us what the workers need explained.

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You don’t find it at all distasteful when you are charged 400 Baht to enter a National Park, meanwhile your Thai friend pays 40 baht ?

Just one example, but there are lots. It’s not just the price, is the message that it sends out to all of Thai society that its ok to try and rip off foreigners and as such sends the message that foreigners are not respected.

I don't find it distasteful at all.  I expect to pay more as a non-citizen.  And, I don't see it as sending any sort of message other than citizens, as owners of the National Park, are entitled to a smaller entrance fee than non-owners. 

4 hours ago, Keesters said:

How many times do I have to say it: I require no different service level than a Thai. 

Tell me how being a farang justifies the hospital charging me more when I don't require more. 

You're beginning to sound like you're on the side of this racist/discriminatory practice of dual-pricing/greed. 

Aliens are more demanding, and have more questions, and don't trust and obey doctors the same way as Thais - therefore; because there are two sure ways of career in Thailand, the army, or being a doctor, which many females choose - and yes, I don't mind a reasonable small price difference between national Thais and "wealthy" foreign guests that can afford to pay the bill, or buy a health insurance; you are welcome to call me racist, because in that case I have a racist view on difficult, demanding aliens...????

3 hours ago, Almer said:

Well the stand counts for there bosses not getting the money and that us what the workers need explained.

The park rangers bosses care as much as the rangers themselves, of that I am sure.

Else, good luck explaining anything to a Thai employee. When you are done, successfully or not, would you mind opening a thread here? I am sure I am not the only one who would love to hear about your experiences ????????

25 minutes ago, fabruer said:

The park rangers bosses care as much as the rangers themselves, of that I am sure.

Else, good luck explaining anything to a Thai employee. When you are done, successfully or not, would you mind opening a thread here? I am sure I am not the only one who would love to hear about your experiences ????????

I will not keep you in suspense, a shrug of the shoulders and back talking to there friends on facebook

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think the Thai government gives a rat's fart what foreigners think.

But the government is going out of their way and falling over themselves to establish new visas to attract them?

Edited by d2b2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

I will not keep you in suspense, a shrug of the shoulders and back talking to there friends on facebook

I reckon that's pretty much what's gonna happen in a lot of cases.

There are some exceptions though. Thai Watsadu near Mega Bangna always surprises me with most of their staff being service minded. I reckon it comes down to training.

Strayed a bit off topic so I am gonna leave it at that. Think we are in agreement anyways.

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Aliens are more demanding, and have more questions, and don't trust and obey doctors the same way as Thais - therefore; because there are two sure ways of career in Thailand, the army, or being a doctor, which many females choose - and yes, I don't mind a reasonable small price difference between national Thais and "wealthy" foreign guests that can afford to pay the bill, or buy a health insurance; you are welcome to call me racist, because in that case I have a racist view on difficult, demanding aliens...????

None of that applies to me and yes you probably are..... 

• Like 1