Do you Yearn for Days of Yesteryear when Suits and Ties were de Rigueur? Arguably, no matter how hot the weather, dressing UP always improves one’s mood.

GammaGlobulin

On 9/23/2021 at 12:55 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Two follow-on pertinent questions to this topic are:

Do you tie your tie with a Windsor Knot, or Not?

Do you part on the right, or the left?

This second question is, most certainly, only for the men who wear pants, and not for the women who also wear pants.

Oh , don't start on this.  I wear pants , under my trousers , a 3 piece suit comes with a waistcoat not a vest.

Back to topic. I had several good suits in England but coming out here I brought my favourite one along with maybe 4 ties.  The suit has been worn once to a wedding when I lived in Hua Hin. The groom didn't have a suit so he got one from somewhere and it not only didn't fit but it was about 3 sizes too small.

Shame I looked a lot smarter.

Burtons , that was a great place for getting a suit , choose the fabric , choose the lapels , choose the lining and get measured to see if you dress to the left or right. ( Which way your dingle dangles ).  But I worked in a drawing office and suits it was.

You know....

I have always thought that, for girls who visit their tailor to buy a suit, there is never the needless question about whether they might dress on the right or the left.

Most girls I know part in the middle.

Life is simpler when visiting the tailor, for girls, when having a suit made.

Although, a bridal-gown fitting is much more complicated.

I love a woman in a suit and tie, with tight pants, riding way up high.

I am unable to find an image of a woman garbed this way...suit and tie, and tight pants riding way up high.

Ho hum...

article-2344199-1A63F04B000005DC-339_308x889.jpg.0f371d28fe6ef7ecc8510157e9730f74.jpg

I always check out the way they dress, right or left, or middle part, first, before I talk to them.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

John Steed in the Avengers, played by Patrick Macnee, was a wonderfully eccentric character. I recall his suits were always impecable and always in the latest style, such as width of the lapels, number of buttons etc. No chance of his suits coming from China; that would've been back in the day when chairman Mao was in charge so his countrymen would've had a pretty miserable existence waving their little red books and denouncing all and sundry as capitalist roaders, but I daresay a decent suit could've been purchased in Hong Kong.

Not long ago it seemed to be the fashion in a three-button jacket to button the top two buttons. That was a faux pas IMO as only the middle button should be buttoned. No wonder we talk about somebody being buttoned up when they're a bit reserved or stand-offish, what with all these rules and that's without going into whether the buttons on the sleeve of a jacket should unfasten or not, and if they do whether leaving oneor two unfastened to indicate to others your suit isn't off the peg is buttoned up behaviour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do any of you have a thing about Angela Merkel?

She always, but always, wears trousers, never a dress or a skirt. A search engine came up with one picture of her in a long dress at a diplomatic function, but that was the only one I could find. I guess her pants must be pretty tight as she's not Paltrow.

Gosh, I'll miss that woman when she's gone, and the German's will too as they embark on maybe months of horse trading to decide who's to succeed her.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You know....

I have always thought that, for girls who visit their tailor to buy a suit, there is never the needless question about whether they might dress on the right or the left.

Most girls I know part in the middle.

Life is simpler when visiting the tailor, for girls, when having a suit made.

Although, a bridal-gown fitting is much more complicated.

I am unable to find an image of a woman garbed this way...suit and tie, and tight pants riding way up high.

Ho hum...

article-2344199-1A63F04B000005DC-339_308x889.jpg.0f371d28fe6ef7ecc8510157e9730f74.jpg

I always check out the way they dress, right or left, or middle part, first, before I talk to them.

At least this girl has slacks covering her pants.

Well, OK, but I do recall my girlfriend from Hong Kong, with her Hong Kong slacks, and suits, all expensive silk, as well as other not-cheap textiles.

Anyway, my GF was quite stunning from her head to her toes.

And, her sheer slacks were always tight fitting.

I often mentioned to her that her choice of clothing was too revealing down there, and she would blush.

I mean, her expensive slacks were so expensive that she might have been wearing nothing at all.  Almost all parts of her anatomy were easily seen by anyone who might gase at the point between her legs.

So, anyway, no matter whether you dress to the right or dress to the left, you can be sure that girls will be looking at this, which I do not mind.

Also, have you ever wondered why women love visiting the horse stables?  I mean, it is not to rake the hay, or muck the stalls.

Most women love to visit the barn in order to wait for the erections of the stallions, in the horse stalls, when they occur. But, in my opinion, horse erections are mostly long and fairly droopy, and not steely enough as you might wish them to be.

Why?  Why are erections less hard, the longer the member?  Well, simply due to lack of blood pressure.  If one had enough blood pressure, then one could cause an erection which could be hard enough to chisel through granite.

Do you recall Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind?

I would not dress up for her.

But, I love Gable's cravat.

Much of Hollywood is about fashion.

And, about dreaming.

Clark-Gable-Gone-with-the-Wind.jpg.36325598d8096af49c08efa5260c5fdc.jpg

Clark Gable was a handsome dude, for sure.

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm not sure why he's wearing a tea-towel for a cravat, though.

I guess it was cotton country.

I wanted to revisit the film "The woman who married Clark Gable" but I couldn't find it - perhaps others will have more success.

OK, can you please wait a minute, please?:

Have you ever watched this great flick, "The Woman in the Window", 1944.  

I know you know Fritz Lang. 

But, what do you know about Fritz Lang?

Well, if you watch his films, then you will realize he loves protruding teets.  I have watched all of Fritz Lang's films, and they all have protruding teets, sorry to say.

Another reason I love Fritz Lang's films is because, he was a genius.

Sure, you can watch M

Or, you can watch Metropolis.

But, the really important contribution of Fritz Lang was his contribution to Fashion and Titts.

If you do not believe me, then just watch his films with his amazing Tittts on screen.

Also, I do not know about you, but I truly love Black and White films.

During this difficult time of the virus, I really do hope that you will take advantage of your ability to freely use YOUTUBE to watch some amazing films, in black and white, produced during the 1930s and 1940s.

Many of these films were based on good writing.

And, many were based on books, or plays.

Up to you, of course.

================

The legacy of the 1930s Hollywood is still paying off, in a big way.

I am grateful.

Maybe, you, too. 

All that I am saying is:

How many of you guys wear garters?

I once wore black silk socks with garters.  How many of you can say the same?

And so, if you really want to dress well, then please take a fashion tip from our great and learned friend, Edward G. Robinson.

Edward G. Robinson was not a ninny, in any way.  He was a learned person with amazing fashion sense.

robinson-bogart-brother-orchid.png.54d00dabd501502b7e9dad94450856fe.png

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As a few writers have posted above...

Don't wear cargo shorts with uncut toenails, and shirts without collars, showing hairy armpits.

Do you really want to present yourself in such a disgusting way?

If you do...

Then, why?

Nature  gave me those  hairy armpits, why not ask her, the same nature also had me born naked, so why should I evern need  clothes in a hot  country

24 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

says  who? It doesnt improve my  mood, thats always krap

dressing UP always improves one’s mood.

Indeed.

I find having to dress up restrictive, stodgy and uncomfortable. 

I'll stay with my crusty curmudgeonly side. 

Get off my lawn.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:43 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Our footwear was invariably leather, and never Nike. Most guys in Hong Kong would not be caught dead at the office, or even at a sleazy bar, clad in shorts, for example.  Those days, suits and ties improved one's mood, and provided one with a sense of worldliness, not to mention a feeling of superiority, which all of us secretly enjoyed, even if we might have denied this secret reality.

Yeah, no. I was hired to an IB desk in Hong Kong right out of college. Had to wear a suit every day, plus ties on days with external meetings.

The superiority rush gets old in under a month when you realize that (i) nobody cares and also that (ii) it's hot af and generally uncomfortable.

Have since swapped the suit out for athleisure most days and am never going back. Outfits look as cool as ever and are waaay more comfortable at the same time. Always long pants and closed-toe shoes tho. It's not amateur hour here.

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Most women love to visit the barn in order to wait for the erections of the stallions, in the horse stalls, when they occur. But, in my opinion, horse erections are mostly long and fairly droopy, and not steely enough as you might wish them to be.

Time for your meds again.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry, but...too disgusting for words.

Yea, not feeling to good about it either, But that's where all the pretty girls were, So at highschool we would be "Disco sucks" and wear the jeans and army jackets , but when the sun went down ....... 

There I would often see some of the same guys from school who loudly proclaimed 

"Disco sucks" and we all would try not to make eye contact.

But hey , a man has needs????.  

Edited by sirineou
typo

On 9/29/2021 at 1:30 AM, Fruit Machine said:

John Steed in the Avengers, played by Patrick Macnee, was a wonderfully eccentric character. I recall his suits were always impecable and always in the latest style, such as width of the lapels, number of buttons etc. No chance of his suits coming from China; that would've been back in the day when chairman Mao was in charge so his countrymen would've had a pretty miserable existence waving their little red books and denouncing all and sundry as capitalist roaders, but I daresay a decent suit could've been purchased in Hong Kong.

Not long ago it seemed to be the fashion in a three-button jacket to button the top two buttons. That was a faux pas IMO as only the middle button should be buttoned. No wonder we talk about somebody being buttoned up when they're a bit reserved or stand-offish, what with all these rules and that's without going into whether the buttons on the sleeve of a jacket should unfasten or not, and if they do whether leaving oneor two unfastened to indicate to others your suit isn't off the peg is buttoned up behaviour.

Never realised that men could be so into "fashion". I'm happy to have been oblivious to it and never had a job where I was required to wear a suit and tie.