Do you Yearn for Days of Yesteryear when Suits and Ties were de Rigueur? Arguably, no matter how hot the weather, dressing UP always improves one’s mood.

GammaGlobulin

They still wear ties, teachers anyway, at most Thai schools.

Working at one when I was younger it was torcher in this heat and humidity.

Dressing up for special occasions is fun though.

Your right it makes most people feel good dressing up.

.....as long as the venue is air-conditioned.

Hard to find a good Indian suit maker as they've closed many of there shops during the pandemic.

If you don't know which fork 'n' knife to use, then wearing a fork 'n' tie is not going to help.

If Sean Connery and Robert Vaughn could wear jackets and ties when they were working, then the rest of us have role models to which we could aspire.  Whenever I have been tempted to abuse someone for what I perceive as failings, I think "The men from UNCLE would not say that", and I try to refrain.

As a role model, I would recommend Napoleon Solo to youngsters of today; he was on television, which was far more restrictive than the cinematic environment in which James Bond operated, and far less likely to land a young fellow a defendant in a case of rape or sexual assault in these brightly lit woke times that we find ourselves.

"Thus is the way of the dinosaur" might be a valid defence for you or me or their ex-president trump, but unlikely to save the neck of our sons.

SC

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

And, by the way, GG, there are many empty suit shops in BKK right now, running specials...

Stop in. Maybe they'll throw in some spats. Yowza!

Spats! I hope with that comment you have saved at least one Indian tailor.  Who could resist bright white spats, over whatever shoe or boot.

In all honesty, whose day has not been cheered by the mention of spats?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Mac said:

You need to lay off the crack, son.

I think you meant that for a personal message within the family group.
We'll pretend we never heard it, nor noted it in our notebooks.
Somethings are too personal to share outside the family.

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Speaking of Napoleon Solo, the sartorial king of television spy episodes, so many years ago, where did he have his shoes made?  Which shop? Did Solo have his foot measurements "on file", at the shop?

No doubt, most of you will agree that, in order to appear well-dressed, a man should begin from the ground up.

A good foundation is crucial for achieving a good result, both in the man and in creating a beautiful building.

Expensive shoes can last a long time.

Always use shoe trees, or have your maid use them, or your man use them, depending upon your persuasion.

For myself, and many of the other younger members of this forum, shoe trees, like stair rods, are but a quaint memory from our youth.

No doubt, someone will chirp up to say that is even before their recollection, a vanished trace of times gone by like pricing in shillings and pence on the back of books.  Well, that is their loss.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, and their revision may not be as simple as wearing a tie and twelve pence in a shilling.

On the bright side, my son can play the Archers theme tune, and also the Z-Cars theme tune, on his flute.  If only others would do their part to avoid repeating history.

SC

There is one important ancillary consideration which should be mentioned, a result which might tragically become one’s fate if one were to keep on dressing DOWN, and keep on “going native” during these hard times.

This tragic possibility is one which should have been stated in the Original Post, and one which everyone here should consider carefully.

During these times of relatively increased social isolation, we all might be tempted to let our guard down.  However, we will do so at our own detriment.  Everybody must keep up appearances, both for our own wellbeing, as well as to maintain our social position in our communities.

Therefore, let it be said that, while in Thailand, if you want to make your life more pleasant, always dress well, or, at least, dress the best you can dress, given your budget.

In Thailand, as in many other places, people actually do judge a person based upon appearance, both sartorial choice as well as basic hygiene. 

Thai people prefer cleanliness, or the appearance of cleanliness, just about as much as people of Japanese culture, and other similar cultures. Thai people’s perception of people from Japan is quite favorable, for example, due to this elusive aspect of cleanliness.  In fact, my perception of people from Japan is very favorable, principally because I love Japanese bathing facilities and bathing practices. Also, Japan has a tradition of wearing very expensive clothing, suits for both women and men.  Japanese men love dark blue suits, or did, twenty years ago.

The point is, the overarching point of this message is, always dress UP to the best of your ability, in order that you do not dress like a complete slouch, and by so doing, degrade your relative social standing in the community in which you live.

When you dress nicely, and only venture forth from your home after being clean-shaven, and smelling sweetly after a bath, then you will be more easily accepted, nay should we say respected, in your community.

Most importantly, as has already been intimated in the OP, one should do one’s best to leave one’s house in a tie and coat, and beautiful shoes, if only just for show, maybe once or twice a month.  

Of course, during this virusly plagued period, you might not actually have a place to go.  However, the key point is to just let your neighbors see you with your tie, coat and shoes, maybe once each month, then get in a Grab taxi, and then just go for a long ride, and talk to your driver in Thai.

Dressing well in Thailand has many benefits, particularly if one wishes to be perceived as anything other than some sort of bounder.  (The term “bounder” is one that is not easily found in most dictionaries compiled 50 years ago, unfortunately.)

Always stay well groomed, no matter if you might be feeling a bit of Cabin Fever, and you might be thinking that staying shipshape is not important.  In fact, it IS important to remain presentable, if you wish to be treated as human by your fellows.

Keep your toenails trimmed, for example.  This is an imperative.  For example, if you are really fat, and you find it difficult to reach your toenails, then find someone who will cut them for you, at the right price.

There are so many other good words of advice one might mention, here, in order to promote good community relations between farang guests and Thai hosts.  Who knows where to begin?  And, in addition, writing this much is tiresome, though probably necessary.

At least he was able to integrate some sort of Asiana-centric into any such references. 

After all, this is an Asian/Thai-themed [in theory] forum - whereas few are able gather enough to get away from their instinctive everything is Eurocentric referenced thing. 

Almost well done. 

Back in the day, I felt bad about boarding the BTS sweating like a horse after the walk from the office.

Now, it would be a practical reminder to ensure social distancing.

I still wear a mask when I am out in public, and the sodden rag must surely be a tremendous germinator for bacterial infections. 

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

For myself, and many of the other younger members of this forum, shoe trees, like stair rods, are but a quaint memory from our youth.

No doubt, someone will chirp up to say that is even before their recollection, a vanished trace of times gone by like pricing in shillings and pence on the back of books.  Well, that is their loss.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, and their revision may not be as simple as wearing a tie and twelve pence in a shilling.

On the bright side, my son can play the Archers theme tune, and also the Z-Cars theme tune, on his flute.  If only others would do their part to avoid repeating history.

SC

Thank you so much for reminding me about the stair rods, Sir.

You know, I once lived in this hotel for several years before the fire.

And, before the fire, this staircase once had brass stair rods.  And the huge carpet was beautiful and over 2 centimeters in thickness.  This hall was once magnificent and built with the help of Madame C.

How did I love the shiny brass stair rods  Can I even count the ways?

After the fire, the great beauty of this hotel was completely destroyed, and the new furnishings were cheap, sort of like what you might see in a white-trash trailer park, comparatively speaking.

The beauty of the Old World is no more, and no one cares.

Regards,

7c71a8d240394dc0bfff1d788730de35_LARGE!_!8f2772befaad3debb0951e6277e0df88.jpg.b5cd0a29680a35980a33b57d81f92022.jpg

They turned a historic landmark into an oddity fit for trailer park boys.

This is truly sad.....

Madame C. must be so sad, up in her heaven, looking down on this abomination.

So...this is another reason to maintain appearances, and always wear your ties.

I am happy with jeans and t-shirt.

But I remember the times from long time ago in a country far away.

Most of the time I was also wearing jeans and whatever. But sometimes for work I had to wear suite and tie. And it was always funny when after work I walked with that suite and tie in a supermarket which I regular visited with normal clothes. Because with suit and tie it seems I was suddenly somebody important who was treated with respect. It's a funny world.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am happy with jeans and t-shirt.

But I remember the times from long time ago in a country far away.

Most of the time I was also wearing jeans and whatever. But sometimes for work I had to wear suite and tie. And it was always funny when after work I walked with that suite and tie in a supermarket which I regular visited with normal clothes. Because with suit and tie it seems I was suddenly somebody important who was treated with respect. It's a funny world.

Times from long ago, before the fire, were more beautiful in this hotel, where I stayed for a very long time...

Do you recall this country far away?  My guess is that you do.

The point being made is that:  What once was beautiful and unique in the hotel, was replaced by Walmart furnishings.

Who can stand tackiness?

Who can stand cargo shorts,.... really?

People wear tacky clothes just because Walmart tells them that they look fashionable wearing attire fit for garbagemen.

And then, why are we surprised that people act like they look, which is garbage.

There seems to be far less appreciation of beauty.

And so, do you believe that beauty is important?

Or not????

Can we even live as humans without beauty?

What is beauty, anyway?

Is beauty only a mathematical equation, or what?

In fact, man cannot live without beauty, maybe.

Time to wake up and smell the roses, maybe.

39020e2b4c18628b35c0df861bc89fce.jpg.c6d848a5bf063de35264acc9b245f770.jpg

I understand the suit, clean shoes, ironed shirt ... but no tie. no way.  too hot and uncomfortable.  who invented that accessory and decided it gives you status?  In previous work experiences, neckties and metallic jewelry were prohibited in work areas for safety reasons.  all good for me.  But yes, i do notice that when i go out in Thailand with a nice ironed button-up shirt, I often receive positive comments about "looking professional"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

I understand the suit, clean shoes, ironed shirt ... but no tie. no way.  too hot and uncomfortable.  who invented that accessory and decided it gives you status?  In previous work experiences, neckties and metallic jewelry were prohibited in work areas for safety reasons.  all good for me.  But yes, i do notice that when i go out in Thailand with a nice ironed button-up shirt, I often receive positive comments about "looking professional"

Your mention of wearing ties while visiting a factory being a safety risk is entirely justified.

What most guys do, when entering a factory site while wearing a tie, is to fully tuck the tie inside one's shirt, in order to not get the tie caught in any rotating machinery, in order to avoid inadvertently strangling themselves with their own noose.

I am sure that you did the same.

Ties are still OK in hot weather.  If one gets used to wearing a tie, for many years, say, even wearing a tie from grade school, then the wearing of a tie is no more difficult for us than for a horse and a bit between the teeth. 

On a horse, for example, the bit looks good, and feels good, and provides a bit of "direction in life" for the horse.

Same goes for the school tie, and any tie, for men.  We need a tie in order to provide us with more direction in life.

Also, let us not forget about so-called Power Ties, which many men love to wear.

All horses love the bit between their teeth:

SecretariatRacing_TonyLeonardCollection_6422a274-8a5b-46d9-ae78-1b782771f736.jpg.55180f24a673d5165ab3dfea9912a861.jpg

And, all good men love power ties.

It's a given.

warren-buffett.jpg.7c1f062b69fc140e35ced61876069368.jpg

Do you think Warren wears a cheap suit?

No.

Why should he.

And, why should you?

• Like 1

By the way, My Friends, and at the risk of beating this old horse to death, I just want to mention one more thing about old-school beauty, about fire in a hotel, and about the new and the old:

So, anyway...

If you look closely at the image of the lobby, and the staircase, and the now-nonexistent stair rods which once existed, of the hotel I posted above, post fire, then you will think you see a beautiful lobby.

BUT, it is not beautiful.  It is tacky!

Because, IF you guys could have seen it, before the fire and devastation, which I am sure some of you might have seen this lobby before the fire, since I know that some of you guys have been here in Asia for many years, and have seen many things.....  Then you would know that there was great loss of beauty in this hotel.  And that, all the king's housemen in Taipei were unwilling to put humpty back together, again.

IN FACT, if anyone in Taipei had been willing to restore this important landmark, the way it should have been restored, then they could have called in some artisans from outside of Taiwan, and they could have done an amazing restoration.

Yet, no one care enough to do this.

There are many, many old photos clearly documenting every aspect of this great hotel.

The restoration might have been done, but was not done.

Why do some people care?  Maybe just because some of us lived there for many, many months, or years.

This structure was one of a kind, and, when you Google this hotel, you will find on Google very few, if any, photos of what this hotel once was.  The only thing you see on Google is ads, and not historical images. (maybe Google is becoming complete garbage, from a researcher's point of view).

====

And so, back to the topic, which is the same as I am writing in this post:

When everybody, and their cousin, is satisfied walking around in cargo pants, not to mention t-shirts which make each human dummy virtual walking billboards for one of thousands of companies who use vacuous imbeciles as nothing more than space for their ads, then what do you expect? 

When things get so dumbed down that people become nothing more than unquestioning automatons for ad agencies, then who is left to see or care about beauty?

Cargo Pants Forever!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

warren-buffett.jpg.7c1f062b69fc140e35ced61876069368.jpg

Do you think Warren wears a cheap suit?

No.

Why should he.

Buffett gets his suits made in China (Dayang Trands).  He gets them for free.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/warren-buffett-only-wears-suits-made-by-a-chinese-entrepreneur.html

The average price for one suit is $399-competitive even when compared to ready-to-wear suits.”

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-05/22/content_29437652.htm

Would I wear a suit in Bangkok?

No way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Buffett gets his suits made in China (Dayang Trands).  He gets them for free.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/warren-buffett-only-wears-suits-made-by-a-chinese-entrepreneur.html

The average price for one suit is $399-competitive even when compared to ready-to-wear suits.”

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-05/22/content_29437652.htm

Would I wear a suit in Bangkok?

No way.

We all know that Buffett gets his kicks not from luxury items, and this is so true.

Thank you for pointing out this correction to my post.

I knew I was wrong even while I was posting it.

Still, beautiful suits can be a work of art, and there is nothing wrong with this.

Always buy silk ties, and make sure they are long enough, as well.

Sometimes, when you buy a tie from China, it's too short.  Maybe because guys in China are shorter than guys in the UK.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Times from long ago, before the fire, were more beautiful in this hotel, where I stayed for a very long time...

Do you recall this country far away?  My guess is that you do.

The point being made is that:  What once was beautiful and unique in the hotel, was replaced by Walmart furnishings.

Who can stand tackiness?

Who can stand cargo shorts,.... really?

People wear tacky clothes just because Walmart tells them that they look fashionable wearing attire fit for garbagemen.

And then, why are we surprised that people act like they look, which is garbage.

There seems to be far less appreciation of beauty.

And so, do you believe that beauty is important?

Or not????

Can we even live as humans without beauty?

What is beauty, anyway?

Is beauty only a mathematical equation, or what?

In fact, man cannot live without beauty, maybe.

Time to wake up and smell the roses, maybe.

I wear what I like and what is comfortable.

Beauty? Handsome man? I always think it's funny when some guys dress up when they go out and look at the girls. Do they get even 1% discount? I don't think so.

Pretty girls should wear pretty clothes - and not too much. Let's concentrate on the important issues in life.

hqdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wear what I like and what is comfortable.

Beauty? Handsome man? I always think it's funny when some guys dress up when they go out and look at the girls. Do they get even 1% discount? I don't think so.

Pretty girls should wear pretty clothes - and not too much. Let's concentrate on the important issues in life.

hqdefault.jpg

Listen, My Friend, I realize that you are just having a bit of fun with my important topic, which is entirely within your right, and which is also appreciated.

But, really, is debauchery the only thing you think about?

Or, in some cases, do you ever appreciate the esthetics of purer beauty?

I just cannot believe that you spend every minute of your day focused on assthetics, instead of aesthetics!

You must have some redeeming something about you.

(I know you do, by  the way.)

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Listen, My Friend, I realize that you are just having a bit of fun with my important topic, which is entirely within your right, and which is also appreciated.

But, really, is debauchery the only thing you think about?

Or, in some cases, do you ever appreciate the esthetics of purer beauty?

I just cannot believe that you spend every minute of your day focused on assthetics, instead of aesthetics!

You must have some redeeming something about you.

(I know you do, by  the way.)

If a guy has a beautiful girl at his side the it doesn't matter what he wears. The guys will only look at the girl and the women will only look at the girl. His outfit doesn't matter at all.

share2.jpg

• Like 1