5 year driving licence renewal

superal

Tried to renew my Thai 5 year driving licence recently ( old licence relapsed by 5 months cos overseas ) and had to start all over again . So had to show my passport to a young lady  . She asked for my old licence and told my lady to take it to the first floor office . My lady came back after 10 minutes and with the help of an office attendant I downloaded the licence renewal app . So I answered a few simple test questions which I passed and then was told to download and watch the 1 hour long safety driving video . After about 15 minutes it stopped working and returned to the start ( happened 3 times ) . I informed the attendant who said my phone signal maybe no good and to go outside and try again which I did , along with others who had the same problem but the video stopped again so I gave up and returned home and tried again but it stopped again . 

Does anyone know the process / procedure for renewing your d/l considering my aforementioned plight ? Also my UK d/l is valid , does that qualify me to drive in Thailand in the interim ?

• Haha 1

I'd go back again and tell them what is happening at least you are booked in as I understand it..

Keep your Thai DL with you along with your UK one if your bothered about being stopped.

You can use your UK DL but if you have 1st class ins on your vehicle telephone them to make sure you are still covered and ask them confirm by text or email.

If you only have CTPL govt ins it doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought the rules were, you had one year of expiry before starting again...????

yes , me too , thought just a quick change over but I got swamped with the video thingy and lack of communication did not help 

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's right I assume OP is just booked in for renewal because of DLT's shut due to Pandemic.

I renewed my 5 year in June, had to do the tests except the written thing and drive...I thought I was going to walk in and walk out, not to be, it was a mad house..????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

I renewed my 5 year in June, had to do the tests except the written thing and drive...I thought I was going to walk in and walk out, not to be, it was a mad house..????

did u have to watch video and get doctors cert etc ?

It seems that we must do this 1 hour elearning thing, before when we are going to renew our thai driving licenses.

I do the elearning at the computer with fiber connection to the internet, it worked without problems, it takes around 1 hour and there is an easy 3 question test, after you pass the test, you must print out a proof that you pass the test and bring with to the DLT office.

Compared to my DLT office, it looks that your DLT office is very helpfull.

My DLT office will only handle driver license issues if you have a thai ID and can make appointment on their appointment app.

Edited by finnsk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, finnsk said:

It seems that we must do this 1 hour elearning thing, before when we are going to renew our thai driving licenses.

I do the elearning at the computer with fiber connection to the internet, it worked witout problems, it takes around 1 hour and there is an easy 3 question test, after you pass the test, you must print out a proof that you pass the test and bring with to the DLT office.

Compared to my DLT office, it lookis that your DLT office is very helpfull.

I answered the 3 questions before the video 

3 minutes ago, finnsk said:

Yes, in my case there was 3 question before the video, the same 3 questions under the video and the same 3 questions at the final test after the video

Also I am on my laptop with fiber but the video will not open 

1 minute ago, superal said:

Also I am on my laptop with fiber but the video will not open 

Arghh, dam the apps they make here, I was doing it some days ago without problems. I tried to see if I could get in now, but no acces to the forreigner app part.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, finnsk said:

Arghh, dam the apps they make here, I was doing it some days ago without problems. I tried to see if I could get in now, but no acces to the forreigner app part.

now working cos I opened the app in a new window , many thanks all

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, transam said:

Well I have another 3 years or more on my 2 DL's.

At my last renewal took photo copies of passport & yellow house book, fill out and sign papers, a colour test, had a nap for 1 hour while they screened video in the DLT office.

Then called in to have photo done pay dosh and collect new DL's in 15 mins or so. ????

It all has to be booked at moment because of covid, we have a drive through for renewing our trucks road disc. 

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I have another 3 years or more on my 2 DL's.

At my last renewal took photo copies of passport & yellow house book, fill out and sign papers, a colour test, had a nap for 1 hour while they screened video in the DLT office.

Then called in to have photo done pay dosh and collect new DL's in 15 mins or so. ????

It all has to be booked at moment because of covid, we have a drive through for renewing our trucks road disc. 

No appointments at our place, it's like the entrance to a football match, they talk about spreading Covid, what a joke..????

Oh, the eye tests here are high tech now, colour blind folk will have a big problem, and no bits of string for the alinement thingy, which I failed.....????

49 minutes ago, transam said:

No appointments at our place, it's like the entrance to a football match, they talk about spreading Covid, what a joke..????

Oh, the eye tests here are high tech now, colour blind folk will have a big problem, and no bits of string for the alinement thingy, which I failed.....????

Never had a problem with any tests in the passed,  the funny thing once years ago was they pointed to a colour on a board,

I said Amber, Mrs whispered in my ear not in Thailand it's yellow. ????

Renewed mine in May (Banglamung). Not asked to view a video at driving school (Covid) as in Thai .Just did the color depth perception and reaction tests. DLT claimed to be shut (Covid) but driving school next to DLT did my queuing for me so 5th in line. Mob outside but not inside

• Thanks 1