COVID-19: Thailand reports 11,975 new coronavirus cases, 14,700 recoveries

webfact

1 minute ago, edwinchester said:

Simply, testing helps identify where the virus is. Every case you find early helps stop the virus in it's tracks.

Testing can identify the type of virus and if it's mutating.

Still don't get it - are you saying that testing will lead to a different level of vaccination?

It will mutate anyway - it is a virus - kind of in the nature of a virus

I am all for pushing for as close to 100% vaccination as possible and as quickly as possible - how will testing help the general and his cronies in doing this?

Testing has had its day - the Virus is here - get vaccinated.

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

@Scrotobike is right IMO. I've saying this for quite some time. Vaccinate and protect the vulnerable then open up the country and allow the young to catch and spread the virus. Because that's route to herd immunity which is what the country and indeed the world ultimately needs.

Stop hiding from it!

I will point out that in our province, it was the old and vulnerable that were prioritized when it came to vaccination. I can proudly boast that I was the first person in our village to be vaccinated.

Except the road to herd immunity has been blocked by Delta.

When a virus can easily re-infect people the concept of herd immunity goes out the window. You can suppress the effects but you can't stop the spread in reality. And then, after a while the effectiveness of any vaccine declines so the spread can increase. Delta is the first really rampant variant, it is unlikely to be the last.

https://www.gmjournal.co.uk/covid-19-is-it-still-possible-to-achieve-herd-immunity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scrotobike said:

Testing - I never understood the obsession - we all know Covid is around, so much data from other countries

make up your mind, there would be no data from other countries without testing so on some level you must agree it is important, it also allows people and goverments to make informed decisions you are flying blind without testing

• Thanks 1

List of students opting for Pfizer vaccine to be ready on Sunday

Schools will finalise the list of students who opt for the Pfizer vaccine on Sunday to send it to the Ministry of Education. Schools must collect the full name, ID card number, date of birth, and consent for Pfizer vaccination, Education Minister Trinuch Thienthong said on Friday.

Schools must send information to provincial education offices on Sunday. Provincial education offices will prepare the provincial list to send to the Bureau of Integrated Education Affairs on Tuesday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40006643

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Schools will finalise the list of students who opt for the Pfizer vaccine on Sunday to send it to the Ministry of Education. Schools must collect the full name, ID card number, date of birth, and consent for Pfizer vaccination, Education Minister Trinuch Thienthong said on Friday.

Schools must send information to provincial education offices on Sunday. Provincial education offices will prepare the provincial list to send to the Bureau of Integrated Education Affairs on Tuesday.

GF'S daughter says she doesn't want a vaccine as she is scared of what it might do, and the fact she has had Covid already should be enough. Her father has had Covid twice and was vaccinated with Sinovac, so I can see what she's thinking as well. She was scared to see her mom get vaccinated this last week.  7 years old and worrying is a sad thing. She had a friend loose her father to Covid and he was vaccinated as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Pfizer for private schools Chinise juice for public or Pfizer for all?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

GF'S daughter says she doesn't want a vaccine as she is scared of what it might do, and the fact she has had Covid already should be enough. Her father has had Covid twice and was vaccinated with Sinovac, so I can see what she's thinking as well. She was scared to see her mom get vaccinated this last week.  7 years old and worrying is a sad thing. She had a friend loose her father to Covid and he was vaccinated as well.

Tough for young kids when it touches them like that, my daughter here is a little older at 13 and she had a friend at school get it a few months back, as a result was sent to a dormitory type field hospital here in Phuket, the last thing she wants is to experience the same. So she has no problem taking the vaccine.

30 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Pfizer for private schools Chinise juice for public or Pfizer for all?

No idea but at my daughters school (International) we got an email last week asking whether we wanted her to have the Pfizer jab as they commence between the 4th and 11th Oct for first jab, 4 weeks later the second.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

Except the road to herd immunity has been blocked by Delta.

When a virus can easily re-infect people the concept of herd immunity goes out the window. You can suppress the effects but you can't stop the spread in reality. And then, after a while the effectiveness of any vaccine declines so the spread can increase. Delta is the first really rampant variant, it is unlikely to be the last.

https://www.gmjournal.co.uk/covid-19-is-it-still-possible-to-achieve-herd-immunity

That's an interesting review and there is much to commend, but it does not address the import issue of the struggling economies. We cannot go on for hiding away from this virus. Life must go on. To me the most important takeaway sentence was:

'Instead, we will have to learn to live with the virus and continue to discover ways to manage it, rather than expect it to vanish'.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Tough for young kids when it touches them like that, my daughter here is a little older at 13 and she had a friend at school get it a few months back, as a result was sent to a dormitory type field hospital here in Phuket, the last thing she wants is to experience the same. So she has no problem taking the vaccine.

No idea but at my daughters school (International) we got an email last week asking whether we wanted her to have the Pfizer jab as they commence between the 4th and 11th Oct for first jab, 4 weeks later the second.

70-80% double dosed for schools to 'safely' open it's difficult to tell when this will be. Phuket maybe is being rushed through. I wonder about other let's say less high profile provinces. Thing is if these empty heads open up too early and things go on the up i.e. infections, hospitilisations and deaths then what happens. As for the jabs the 2nd jab of the last lot will be 11th of Nov. Then add the 2 to 3 wks for full coverage takes it to what I think will be a Dec 1 openning. What about the more heavily populated dark red zones. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Still don't get it - are you saying that testing will lead to a different level of vaccination?

It will mutate anyway - it is a virus - kind of in the nature of a virus

I am all for pushing for as close to 100% vaccination as possible and as quickly as possible - how will testing help the general and his cronies in doing this?

Testing has had its day - the Virus is here - get vaccinated.

Testing is about finding the virus and not letting in run rampant. It's a very simple concept. Try and stop it replicating and the chances of mutation are lessened.

• Like 1

Phuket begins new vaccine injection method

PHUKET: Medical staff at the Indoor Sports Stadium at Saphan Hin yesterday (sept 24) began administering third-dose ‘booster’ injections using the subdermal method, injecting the vaccine just under the skin, instead of the intramuscular method, injecting the vaccine into muscle, as used previously.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-begins-new-vaccine-injection-method-81511.php

The US Embassy in Bangkok posted on Twitter on Saturday that the US will donate an additional 1 million doses of safe and effective vaccines to Thailand

The embassy added that the US and Thailand are working in close coordination to complete all necessary documentation. They look forward to the second shipment of vaccines to Thailand as soon as possible.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40006645

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The US Embassy in Bangkok posted on Twitter on Saturday that the US will donate an additional 1 million doses of safe and effective vaccines to Thailand

... As opposed to the unsafe and ineffective doses of vaccine Thailand has been stuck with so far.

(sarcasm)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket begins new vaccine injection method

PHUKET: Medical staff at the Indoor Sports Stadium at Saphan Hin yesterday (sept 24) began administering third-dose ‘booster’ injections using the subdermal method, injecting the vaccine just under the skin, instead of the intramuscular method, injecting the vaccine into muscle, as used previously.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-begins-new-vaccine-injection-method-81511.php

We are moaning about Thailand not eliminating quarantine for fully vaccinated travellers, but this is crazy.

Why should anyone visit a country, where vaccine is administered other way than the rest of the world?

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Testing - I never understood the obsession - we all know Covid is around, so much data from other countries so why waste resources on testing just focus on vaccination.

Just to be clear, you don't understand why it's important, with an ultra-contagious virus, to determine whether people actually have it and thus can spread it like wild fire without any preventive steps taken?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

70-80% double dosed for schools to 'safely' open it's difficult to tell when this will be. Phuket maybe is being rushed through. I wonder about other let's say less high profile provinces. Thing is if these empty heads open up too early and things go on the up i.e. infections, hospitilisations and deaths then what happens. As for the jabs the 2nd jab of the last lot will be 11th of Nov. Then add the 2 to 3 wks for full coverage takes it to what I think will be a Dec 1 openning. What about the more heavily populated dark red zones. 

We've been "told" that schools in Bangkok can open from 15 October.  I'm not too hopeful, and even if it is true it's likely to be under strict conditions, but I truly hope we don't have to wait until December!

34 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We've been "told" that schools in Bangkok can open from 15 October.  I'm not too hopeful, and even if it is true it's likely to be under strict conditions, but I truly hope we don't have to wait until December!

We've been told probably mid November for in class teaching, to allow a 2 weeks post-vaccination period on some teachers second doses. Oct 15 is still school holidays. I think about Oct 26 is the start of Semester 2. But nothing is certain yet, and probably there would be only 1-2 weeks notice of schools opening.

11 hours ago, Almer said:

Why do they report the prisons?

It is a carryover from past results. Prisons had been ignored, and then they realized there were appreciable numbers getting sick in prison..... initially the addition of the prison numbers caused fear (maybe panic) due to a sudden sharp rise in new infections.... so prison infections were kept separate. And it has carried on like that. 

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm in greater BKK metro area and I heard the director talking about 70-80% vaccinated. Not sure if this is 1 or 2 jabs. Should be 2 and should be 80%.

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If they really apply the rule of "85 % vaccinated" (children from 12 to 18 years old + staff + teachers)... then the date of november 1 is already... a lie.

3 to 4 weeks between the 2 doses for Pfizer... And international schools have holidays end of october.... So at best november 15... Or december 1.

20 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

If they really apply the rule of "85 % vaccinated" (children from 12 to 18 years old + staff + teachers)... then the date of november 1 is already... a lie.

3 to 4 weeks between the 2 doses for Pfizer... And international schools have holidays end of october.... So at best november 15... Or december 1.

Opening December 1 would give 2 weeks of school and then it's the Christmas holidays!  I truly hope international schools can open before then.

• Like 1