COVID-19: Thailand reports 11,975 new coronavirus cases, 14,700 recoveries

webfact

29 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Sorry, this confused me:

allow the young to catch and spread the virus.”

Ok, perhaps I worded it badly. I'll try again.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and give as much protection to them as required. (If that's what they want of course) Continue with the vaccination programme but at the same time open up the country again. 

The virus will spread and numbers will rise again, but it will spread through a younger, healthier and increasingly vaccinated sector of the population.

The result should less hospitalizations and deaths and an increasing move toward herd immunity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

If I am properly informed, and Less than 40% of the population is fully vaccinated, So if indeed 20%n of it is of the Sinovac variety, I would say Yes!  50% is a substantial proportion. 

you are wrong - just over 20% in Thailand have been fully vaccinated - fact

21 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Did I say it kills younger people in greater numbers or did I say delta is killing more people under 60 than previous variants? You are either misrepresenting my post or you didn't read my post correctly. This is what I posted.

"Under 60's represent a much higher % of deaths and serious illness with delta than previous variants."

I do not need a link for this as it is but you will find plenty. I found this immediately upon searching.

“But Delta seems to be impacting younger age groups more than previous variants.”

Nick Papacostas, MD, the president of the Alaska chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians, tells the Anchorage Daily News, that he’s seeing in his emergency room people “sicker and younger than we were seeing last year, requiring either hospital admission or ICU admission.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/younger-people-in-us-getting-hit-hard-by-delta-variant

That's an anecdotal quote from a single doctor in a single hospital.    The stats I linked to are hard numbers based on the stats from an entire country of 55m people.   Using words like "much higher % of deaths than previous variants" is meaningless without the context of what they were before as a % as I am sure you know.     If (as a hypothetical example) the number of deaths as a % was 0.001% and it increases to 0.005% then that is a much higher percentage than what it was before but is still not really anything to be concerned about.   

A lot of this messaging you read that contains this kind of anecdotal evidence and statistical wordplay was designed to encourage youngsters (where the vaccine doesn't make a great deal of difference to them as individuals) to get the vaccine.  

Do you have a link to the actual evidence of young people dying in increased numbers to previous variants and not just anecdotal evidence?  

58 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

The UK focused on the old first (after medics), it worked. Not a new focus - a very old one. When resources are scarce, put them where they are most effective - which is not the sandbox fiasco.

I am talking about mass testing - that was the point you made and it was not correct my friend

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your village is one of the lucky ones, although it does seem villages have been taking the priority roll out more responsibly, the stats for Thailand as a whole however is very different, the over 60's have been one of the least vaccinated in all categories. They have not been prioritized as claimed and the general public all ages overtake them by far.

As for your comment "allow the young to catch it and spread the virus" sort of destroys all logic and sense.

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

data 25 sept 3.png

I haven't seen any figures that show the demographic breakdown of vaccinations and this chart shows nothing in that respect. When you say 'the over 60's have been one of the least vaccinated in all categories', are you taking into account that they are probably the smallest sector of the community?

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I haven't seen any figures that show the demographic breakdown of vaccinations and this chart shows nothing in that respect. When you say 'the over 60's have been one of the least vaccinated in all categories', are you taking into account that they are probably the smallest sector of the community?

The WHO Thailand stats that are shown are taken as they should be taken, the percentage of each population category and as you can see the elderly have thus far been the least prioritized of all categories.

What is it you do not understand about that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Phuket health authorities are reporting 225 new local cases , four cases from the Sandbox and five deaths. There are now 4,184 patients in care . The #PhuketSandbox has had 106 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1441559116992761859

Further details:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-225-cases-five-more-deaths-81510.php

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

UPDATE: 11,975 confirmed cases, 2,370 probable cases, and 127 deaths (1.04%). Out of 124,540 patients , 37,807 are in hospital, 66,470 in ‘hospitel’ and 14,541 in home/community isolation. 3,323 in a serious condition (-54) with 729 on ventilators (-14) #Thailand #COVID19

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1441568153759219713

Yet another day of very low Prison Infection numbers.

This is the 3rd Day in a row that the numbers have been very low, after a sustained period of rising Infection up to about 800 per Day, and then the sudden drop,

I guess its out of sight, and out of mind, but it does affect the number of Infections Nationally.

20 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The WHO Thailand stats that are shown are taken as they should be taken, the percentage of each population category and as you can see the elderly have thus far been the least prioritized of all categories.

What is it you do not understand about that?

Ok sorry, the writing under the chart is so small I had difficulty reading it!  Yes, you're right, perhaps they could do better.

But at least they are not being totally neglected and they seem to be doing well with the comorbidities group.

And we should also consider vaccine reluctance as a factor. In our village there was a lot of resistance at first, especially among the old. It wasn't until I went and had mine and my wife started telling them that I felt fine that they began to change their minds. 

Don't forget, vaccination is voluntary and it's had a lot of bad rap on social media.

Edited by Moonlover

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Ok sorry, the writing under the chart is so small I had difficulty reading it!  Yes, you're right, perhaps they could do better.

But at least they are not being totally neglected and they seem to be doing well with the comorbidities group.

And we should also consider vaccine reluctance as a factor. In our village there was a lot of resistance at first, especially among the old. It wasn't until I went and had mine and my wife started telling them that I felt fine that they began to change their minds. 

Don't forget, vaccination is voluntary and it's had a lot of bad rap on social media.

No they are not being totally neglected just not prioritized, ie the most neglected, being the highest at risk group then Thailand could and should have done far far better, total neglect on vaccination priority which is still occurring today.

Edited by Bkk Brian

47 minutes ago, smedly said:

you are wrong - just over 20% in Thailand have been fully vaccinated - fact

According to the news this morning over 1.4 million were vaccinated yesterday. The Mor Phrom app numbers however are different. Supposedly over 30% fully vaccinated now.

Screenshot_20210925-113828.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

According to the news this morning over 1.4 million were vaccinated yesterday. The Mor Phrom app numbers however are different. Supposedly over 30% fully vaccinated now.

Screenshot_20210925-113828.jpg

It reminds of the golden days in the communist era, when records were set on special days, like the beloved president's birthday.

2 hours ago, James105 said:

All the evidence I have ever seen suggests that the virus (of whatever variant) kills the same demographics (ie older people) and under 40s have a very low risk even if unvaccinated, unless they have one of the key underlying conditions such as obesity for example.   

Where are you getting the information that this kills younger people in higher numbers?  Do you have a link?

i think what is happening here is the western media fixation on fear/crisis combined with high vaccination rates for older people.  older folks are vaccinated so far fewer deaths in that group than pre-vaccine.  meanwhile, the death number on the younger folks is about the same.  and honestly most of the fear/crisis i've read has had to do with hospitalization or long covid for younger people (say under 40), not so much the death number.   there absolutely must be fear/crisis in the western media and it is justified with tailor made 'proof', which is laughable upon review.  but many people read the stuff and believe it to be 100% true.  and then repeat it to others and then suddenly we have this 'lie' that becomes 'true'.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Just been watching Campbell giving some details of ATK or rapid antigen tests or lateral flow tests. New data from UK govt says specificity is 99.9% but maybe 99.97% of a positive reading being correct. So that's a 0.03% chance of a false positive. This being the case why are ATK positives here treated seperately and not included in daily infection numbers as a whole? I've been saying for a while that false negatives are a problem because people use these things get a negative reading and think they don't have the virus and then obviously can spread it. Data on false negatives is if symptomatic there's a 28% chance of a false negative and non-symptomatic a 42% chance of a false negative. 

Quoting a Youtube video is not very useful as a reference. Here is a real life study of a well known antigen test from Abbott: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7799021/. It concludes that the specificity is 99.9% (with a very narrow confidence interval) but sensitivity is only 93.3% (with a very wide confidence interval). In other words, it is difficult to detect low viral loads with antigen test kits. The CDC has a report on the use of antigen kits https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antigen-tests-guidelines.html and various pro- and contras. 

Out of 11,864 local cases (not in prisons) Bangkok 2,123 Chonburi 744 Samut Prakan 738 Yala 632 Rayong 454 Narathiwat 423 Songkhla 401 Ratchaburi 359 Samut Sakhon 317 Nakhon Si Thammarat 294 #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1441658484135579651

• Thanks 1

#PhuketSandbox Update: On 24th September, 438 international travellers arrived on 5 flights bringing the total to 36,330. Since 1st July, 105 Sandboxers (+4) have tested positive. 38 on 1st test, 32 on 2nd test, 11 on 3rd test, and 24 from close contact tests #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1441661245321478150

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cormanr7 said:

Quoting a Youtube video is not very useful as a reference. Here is a real life study of a well known antigen test from Abbott: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7799021/. It concludes that the specificity is 99.9% (with a very narrow confidence interval) but sensitivity is only 93.3% (with a very wide confidence interval). In other words, it is difficult to detect low viral loads with antigen test kits. The CDC has a report on the use of antigen kits https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antigen-tests-guidelines.html and various pro- and contras. 

From the very not useful youtube reference. https//www.gov.uk/gpovernment/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999. Ok. As for virul loads that is also talked about but the overall conclusions are as stated above. Have a look first before jumping down someones throat. Campbell puts things into understandable content.

Edited by dinsdale

57 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Today there were 127 deaths in #Thailand 69 males & 58 females Burmese (1), Cambodian (1) Age range is 17-98 years 76% of deaths aged 60+ Most deaths in Bangkok (31)

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1441656081843843073

As I keep saying I would like to see a breakdown of these fatalities into age groups, gender, vaccinations how many and of what and comorbidities. They have this information. 17 year old. To those who think the young don't die from this you just have to look at what @anchadianposts everyday.

Edited by dinsdale

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Ok, perhaps I worded it badly. I'll try again.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and give as much protection to them as required. (If that's what they want of course) Continue with the vaccination programme but at the same time open up the country again. 

The virus will spread and numbers will rise again, but it will spread through a younger, healthier and increasingly vaccinated sector of the population.

The result should less hospitalizations and deaths and an increasing move toward herd immunity.

I have two questions. What is herd immunity and is it possible with the delta virus? There's no doubt that vaccines are preventing hospitalisation, serious infection and death but there are also vaccinated people catching the virus and they can still spread it. If you have been innoculated and can still get it and spread it I guess your not immune.

Edited by dinsdale

5 hours ago, smedly said:

I am talking about mass testing - that was the point you made and it was not correct my friend

Testing - I never understood the obsession - we all know Covid is around, so much data from other countries so why waste resources on testing just focus on vaccination.

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If you only vaccinate the elderly, but then drop all restrictions in an attempt to reach herd immunity, then many people would die.

Yes agreed - need to vaccinate the majority.

But still if the old and sick were propritised then there would be less pressure on the hospitals and for sure less death.

7 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

Testing - I never understood the obsession - we all know Covid is around, so much data from other countries so why waste resources on testing just focus on vaccination.

Simply, testing helps identify where the virus is. Every case you find early helps stop the virus in it's tracks.

Testing can identify the type of virus and if it's mutating.

• Like 1