Returning Aussie Visa requirements

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Onward ticket to where? As far as I know you cannot fly from Thailand to stay in Laos, Vietnam, Singapore or Cambodia. Surely Thai immigration know that so an onward tickets is useless.

I arrived in Thailand from Perth early June and booked an onward ticket to Singapore on Scoot, AUD90, No problem getting a COE or from immigration on arrival at BKK.

I arrived on a Tourist visa.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I cannot state what is required for COE from the places where folk apply for that.

As far as actually obtaining a boarding pass at departing airport you only need onward flight if flying visa exempt. 

That does not need to be return flight. Can book any cheap..ish flight and throw it or buy 'rent a ticket' from internet companies.

Some folk opt to buy return flight with date change available.

Upon landing in Thailand passport control will not be interested in any onward/return flight.

g'day Jack. that's what i thought too but i'm planning on buying or renting a cheapie onward ticket just in case (i also want to come in on TR and convert to non-O in country). 

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

g'day Jack. that's what i thought too but i'm planning on buying or renting a cheapie onward ticket just in case (i also want to come in on TR and convert to non-O in country). 

My experience with tourist visa (many years ago so may not be accurate) is that a flight INTO Thailand was required. Previously I obtained these in Saigon.

No onward flight required.

Next is the airline at departure. For anyone with visa or reentry permit etc, no onward ticket required.

For visa exempt an onward ticket is required. 

I can understand your intent to buy or rent an onward ticket even if not required due to all the other requirements you need in place.

Last thing you would want is boarding issues.

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

I arrived in Thailand from Perth early June and booked an onward ticket to Singapore on Scoot, AUD90, No problem getting a COE or from immigration on arrival at BKK.

As you came in on a tourist visa, could you advise if you got covid insurance for 60 days or 90 days to cover the extension?

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

g'day ozfararang. do you mind telling us about the travel exemption process? did you get the TR from Perth consulate first or did you tell Customs that you'd apply for it if exemption was approved?

also what did you say on the stat dec, anything complicated or just a simple "I intend to leave the country for more than three months from this date ..."?

1 minute ago, ozfarang said:

I got the exemption to leave first as it was unknown if I would be successful, it required two attempts for the exemption as it turns out.

I'm married to a Thai national and that was what I stated on the stat dec, also I would be leaving for more than 3 months. After being declined on first attempt, immediately reapplied, adding that we owned a property in Thailand and I had shipped all my belongings to Thailand 2 years earlier. After finally receiving me exit exemption I continued the process of returning to Thailand. When applying for the exemption I stressed that I would not buy flight tickets until I was issued an exemption to exit.

I applied for my tourist visa from the Royal Thai Consulate in Sydney as the Perth Consulate was closed. Sydney was excellent to deal with and very prompt.

thanks for the info mate, really appreciated. I owe you a couple of iced teas ????

as for you having to apply twice, my sister said the same thing about a mate of hers that wants to relocate to Croatia. took him three attempts with the same info. I reckon there's a lot of jealous people processing the exemption applications.

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I reckon there's a lot of jealous people processing the exemption applications.

Yeah, I reckon you're right as my second attempt was successful in less than 24 hours from application. 

Should be easier now as the "fortress" is about to be opened up in a couple of months

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

as for you having to apply twice, my sister said the same thing about a mate of hers that wants to relocate to Croatia. took him three attempts with the same info.

I was going to mention earlier that there have been many posts going back months stating that first (sometimes second) application was rejected then finally approved.

Almost seems like a policy....reject first and see if they are fair dinkum.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Yeah, I reckon you're right as my second attempt was successful in less than 24 hours from application. 

Should be easier now as the "fortress" is about to be opened up in a couple of months

i hope it will be easier because of that reason but who knows with bureaucracy. the NSW Premier announced today that she is looking at 1 December as a possible date to open up the prison gates but only if ScoMo says yes. I don't think it will be a full opening up either, probably only to 'safe' countries.

I'm looking to get out before then to hopefully enjoy cheaper flights and less crowded aircraft. I imagine once the inmates are unchained they'll be making a mad rush to the airports to get on whatever is flying. I don't suppose they'll really give a rat's where they're going as long as it's not Australia! ????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I don't suppose they'll really give a rat's where they're going as long as it's not Australia! ????

LOL, how true, any flight will be a good flight as long as it is departing Australia.

I flew CX(Cathay) via Hong Kong, 11 Pax first sector and around 25 into Bangkok. Very comfortable, even in economy

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

True that Melb and Sydney in 'lockdown'.

What have you been doing in Thailand since your arrival.

Hardly the land of the free.

Enjoying being back in Thailand and going about my business in our province with not much to worry about. My wife and I are double vaxed and take the normal Cover precautions, just like I was doing in Australia before I escaped the nanny state

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ba ba said:

just great is it not last night scoot airline singapore to sydney just over $5,000 and the same price hcm city to sydney with vietnam airlines,(no flights left till end oct) and you are traveling the other way for $700

That's the result of only allowing 1500 odd Australians back into their own country each week

1 minute ago, ozfarang said:

Enjoying being back in Thailand and going about my business in our province with not much to worry about. My wife and I are double vaxed and take the normal Cover precautions. just like I was doing in Australia before I escaped the nany state

Great work seeing someone slag off at their own country. 

Hopefully you can remain in Thailand ongoing. 

1 minute ago, ba ba said:

plus $3,000 to be locked in a room

with windows that don't open, garbage food and they won't let you exercise. and maybe you catch the virus anyway because of poor airflow or whatever caused those in-hotel transmissions.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even the grumpiest TVFers. oops, AseanNowers ????

On 9/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, aussiexpat said:

So the latest is that Aussies will be allowed to travel again once the adult population reaches 80% vaccinated (currently at 51%). The plan is in December 2021.

O-A Visa: I am shocked at how much this Visa costs:

(a) $300 fee (7,200 bt)

(b) 48,000 bt insurance (400k/40k)

(c) 14,400 bt covid insurance

(d) $42 AFP police check (1000 bt)

(e) $78 medical (1,870 bt)

So that's about 72,500 bt, or A$3,000

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant/

Tourist Visa: this costs $60 (720bt) for 60 days + 30 days extention. I can then get an O visa in Thailand by transferring A$33,500 to my Thai bank. O visa costs 2000bt I think? So that's about 2,700 bt all up (A$120).

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/tourist-visa-2/

Covid Insurance: all travellers to Thailand require covid insurance for the length of stay in Thailand. For the Tourist Visa, I'm not sure if the initial 60 days is enough or I need to do 90 days to cover the extension. 60 days is 2,880 baht and 90 days is 3,840 baht (one year is 14,400 baht)

https://covid19.tgia.org/

Flights: I've been monitoring Singapore Airlines which is one of the few airlines still flying to Aus. One-way flights have been $674 from Brissy for months, however they have just jumped to $742 for October/November. December is still $674. Note: Qantas has opened international flights 18 Dec, however Bangkok is not on the list

Singapore app: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amadeus.merci.client.ui

Quarantine: I won't use the Phuket or Sumui sandboxes as I think I'm more likely to catch covid trapped on an infected Island. I'm hoping the meeting next week drops ASQ back to 7 days which I'll happily do in Bangkok.

Exemption: I'm not going to wait for the 80% vax and have completed an exemption application. It's pretty simple and I used my condo as the compelling reason to travel (as it has not been maintained in 2 years). I used my condo annual fee as proof of ownership and included my Thai bank statement with monthly electricity deductions. Here's hoping that's enough.

https://travel-exemptions.homeaffairs.gov.au/tep

COE: this seems pretty straight forward attaching flights and pre-paid ASQ/SHA+ hotels and the $100k covid insurance. One issue is the Embassy still asks for a 'fit to fly' certificate to be shown at the gate, even though no other country seems to require it?

1. A Fit to Fly or Fit to Travel health certificate, issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

Good luck everyone as Thailand braces for the return of the Aussie Prisoners after 18 months locked away from the World ????

Well aussiexpat, I certainly admire the courage and tenacity in your efforts to get back to Thailand, because it's for sure that I would not jump through that many hoops or pay that much money to get back here, or to get back anywhere for that matter.

So all the very best to you and well done on achieving your goal.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Even better, no quarantine from 1 November. Full speed ahead ????

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will waive its mandatory quarantine requirement in Bangkok and nine regions from Nov. 1 to vaccinated arrivals, authorities said on Monday...

Flooded for choice now as Thailand just extended the Special Tourist Visa (STV) until October next year.

It's great at A$120 for 270 days (90+90+90) however the rules are pretty much the same as the O-A Visa (police check, 400k/40k health insurance, medical check, proof of accommodation for length of stay)

Note: embassy site says proof of 20,000 baht per person required, however the online application form says proof of A$25,000 for last 6 months

https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassyCanberra1/OnlineVisaApplicationFormForSpecialTouristVisa

Edited by aussiexpat

Luma insurance has just come back to me with a quote of 31,500 baht for 1 year, or 25,000 baht for 270 days (that's cheaper than my current Bupa insurance in Aus)

They state this meets all requirements for the O-A or STV 400k/40k health insurance and the US$100,000 covid insurance in the one policy

https://www.lumahealth.com/

Screenshot_20210928-132236_Drive.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

you gunna fly business class like a boss? i can't make up my mind; i want to arrive in style but the direct TG flight from SYD-BKK isn't really that long and i'm struggling to justify the additional expense. 

Nah, $674 on Singapore Airlines. There's enough additional expense with covid tests, Covid insurance  and 7 days quarantine hotel

• Like 1