Returning Aussie Visa requirements

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

3) apply for non-imm O visa - 90 days - 2000 baht

(4) deposit 800k in bank for minimum 60 days

You have to deposit the 800k baht before number 3.

The official rule for the extension of stay application is 2 months (not 60 days) on the day you apply.

14 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I've traveled many times on a visa exempt and have never been asked to show onward flight (had one-way ticket only).

Unless it's a COE requirement to show it, wouldn't it be possible to just buy a throw away ticket at Customs if they request it (flight can be booked in 5 minutes)

It depends upon the airline you are flying on. Many will ask to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days since that is a requirement for a visa exempt entry.

Thai immigration (not customs) seldom asks to to see the ticket out of the country.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to deposit the 800k baht before number 3.

The official rule for the extension of stay application is 2 months (not 60 days) on the day you apply.

Now I'm confused. This other thread says 800k is only required 2 months prior to applying for the retirement extension. It says it's not needed to get the 90 day imm-O?

Edited by aussiexpat

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes can do as you have outlined. 

Indeed pre covid I was flying out of Thailand and back more than once a month for years. 

Airports and airlines can vary.

I can assure you many airlines will require an onward flight or look for visa, reentry permit etc to Thailand.

My last flight x Melbourne to Saigon was with Jetstar. 

I had a visa for Vietnam albeit only had few days till expiry.

My plan was few days in Vietnam the back home to Thailand (with reentry permit).

The check in was not satisfied. Wanted to see my flight out of Vietnam (due to that visa having only 5 days left).

She was over stepping her rank but was the one in control for boarding pass issue.

I had an onward flight and showed screenshot.

I suggest that you have been fortunate.

hard to argue with those over-zealous check-in staff eh? I don't know about Bleak City but here in the Emerald City the check-in staff aren't airline employees, they're employed by an airport services company or something. so they're probably just reading off of a script rather than being well-versed in the intricacies.

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Now I'm confused. This other thread says 800k is only required 2 months prior to applying for the retirement extension. It says it's not needed to get the 90 day imm-O?

that's correct, but the $800k does need to be in the bank on the day you apply for the 90 day non-O.

• Like 1

This 800k used to be really easy to understand. It was calculated that 800k was the amount required by a retiree to live for a year (hence 65k per month income also allowed)

Now it's deposit 800k for 2 months prior to 12 month extension, then leave it for 3 more months and then don't spend more than 400k in the year and then top it back up to 800k 3 months prior to next extension. Ridiculous concept that has nothing to do with original intent of having sufficient cash in bank for living expenses

Rant over lol

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

that's correct, but the $800k does need to be in the bank on the day you apply for the 90 day non-O.

Furthermore the 800k in bank on day of application for non O retirement will also need to be shown as coming from overseas.

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

This 800k used to be really easy to understand. It was calculated that 800k was the amount required by a retiree to live for a year (hence 65k per month income also allowed)

Now it's deposit 800k for 2 months prior to 12 month extension, then leave it for 3 more months and then don't spend more than 400k in 6 months and then top it back up to 800k 3 months prior to next extension. Ridiculous concept that has nothing to do with original intent of having sufficient cash in bank for living expenses

Rant over lol

"if you don't like it you can leave" - signed, grumpy old TVFer ????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Furthermore the 800k in bank on day of application for non O retirement will also need to be shown as coming from overseas.

hi jack, what about if you pull the excess 400k out after 3 months, will the subsequent top-up 400k also need to be shown as foreign source?

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

hi jack, what about if you pull the excess 400k out after 3 months, will the subsequent top-up 400k also need to be shown as foreign source?

No. The foreign source is for the non O only.

For extensions that's not required

Edited by DrJack54

26 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

People often post incorrect or confusing info.

The 800k baht has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa at immigration. No need to have it in the bank for 2 months at that time.

Here are the requirements. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

You will need to prove it came from abroad unless it has been in the bank for long time on the day you apply,

• Thanks 1

I just booked my ASQ hotel in Bangkok, which is the Mecure Sukumvit 11 for 18,000 baht. As this is 34sqm, includes all meals, 2 PCR Tests, limo transfer from airport and netflix, I'm pretty happy with this price (also if they do sandbox it in Nov, it's a great location)

I got ahead of myself though as to confirm booking I need to send flight details and Covid insurance which I haven't booked yet (I'm still trying to figure if I get 30 or 45 days on visa exempt before getting insurance)

Edit: I booked my hotel through the OP link of this thread. Great choice & easy 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Covid insurance for COE

30 Days  ฿1600

60 Days  ฿2880

90 Days  ฿3840

from

https://covid19.tgia.org

I got this from my hotel booking

What is the best COVID-19 insurance?

We currently reccomend TuneProtect or AXA as the best COVID-19 insurance which meets the entry requirements, and covers asymptomatic cases.

These two are travel insurance as well as covid insurance and more importantly have no waiting period and cover asymptomatic. AXA is 2470 baht for 30 days

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Covid insurance for COE

30 Days  ฿1600

60 Days  ฿2880

90 Days  ฿3840

from

https://covid19.tgia.org

This insurer is the main option if you are 75+ years old.

It also can be well priced if you are departing from certain countries. 

But for example if you are coming from the US they want 4,800 THB for 30 days (300%), compared to coming from Singapore!

You can use this tool here for a quick comparison for the other insurers: https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

• Thanks 2

On 10/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, aussiexpat said:

Also, I was told that if you leave and come back just before the 12 month expiry you automatically get another 12 months on entry. Is this correct?

No, that would be talking about an O-A which you can squeeze out almost 2 years from the 12 month visa. When you get your extension of stay due to retirement it has to be renewed annualy.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:04 PM, aussiexpat said:

Now it's deposit 800k for 2 months prior to 12 month extension, then leave it for 3 more months and then don't spend more than 400k in the year and then top it back up to 800k 3 months prior to next extension.

You only need to top it up, if you in fact use some of the 800K, 2 months before renewal.

So basically minimum 800K for 5 months of the year (2 before and 3 after extension anniversary) and minimum 400K for 7 months of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

You can use this tool here for a quick comparison for the other insurers: https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Careful using this tool as the prices are only relevant to people coming from the USA, so not applicable to leaving Australia (which is much cheaper than from USA)

It states: "Example prices are based on an USA traveller, travelling from the USA"

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Careful using this tool as the prices are only relevant to people coming from the USA, so not applicable to leaving Australia (which is much cheaper than from USA)

It states: "Example prices are based on an USA traveller, travelling from the USA"

We are working on adding country support, currently this only impacts AXA estimates.

For AXA the USA is marked in the mid level bracket (so prices may actually be less, and in rare cases they would be more).

Flight time. Outward flight from BNE is pretty easy and in Nov costs $742 for one-way on Singapore Airlines (the $672 flights are now from 6 Dec)

Now just stating the obvious, getting back to Aus is much harder.. The only one-way flight I can find is on 30-31 July for 14,760 baht or any day from 1 August for 13,550 baht.

Or I can buy a full return leaving Nov/Dec and coming back on 5-6 June for $ 1,977 or any day from 31 July for $1,373. All other days say 'not available'

One thing is certain, there'll be no short term 'Tourists' coming from Aus anytime soon, so I guess I better plan for a minimum of 9 months away (I'll still have my apartment, car and Harley in Aus while away)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Flight time. Outward flight from BNE is pretty easy and in Nov costs $742 for one-way on Singapore Airlines (the $672 flights are now from 6 Dec)

Now just stating the obvious, getting back to Aus is much harder.. The only one-way flight I can find is on 30-31 July for 14,760 baht or any day from 1 August for 13,550 baht.

Or I can buy a full return leaving Nov/Dec and coming back on 5-6 June for $ 1,977 or any day from 31 July for $1,373. All other days say 'not available'

One thing is certain, there'll be no short term 'Tourists' coming from Aus anytime soon, so I guess I better plan for a minimum of 9 months away (I'll still have my apartment, car and Harley in Aus while away)

this is probably off-topic by what kind of car do you own? I don't know much about Harley owners but the stereotype would suggest that your car is something big and beefy, HSV Senator maybe? ????

ps. I don't drive anymore but I like flashy cars that go fast.

• Confused 1

Looks like people won't need to get an extension after all as Qantas has announced Bangkok as a destination (I'll still need mine as a Qlder as I'm sure Comrade Anna won't let us out)

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEMk-JOUeZ3b2RvAaLwuOqmYqFggEKg4IACoGCAow3vI9MPeaCDDciw4?hl=en-AU&gl=AU&ceid=AU%3Aen

• Like 1

I was going to go visa exempt as I really couldn't be bothered posting my passport to Canberra for a TR, however a forum member messaged me to say the Sydney Consulate offers an on-line TR application.

I checked it out and filled it in up to loading the documents and it works well despite having to indicate I have Qld residence in the first question (I thought Qlders could only use the Canberra Embassy)

Can anyone confirm that any Aussie can use the Sydney TR process (not just NSW)

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa

Edit: I'll fully apply next week and see how it goes as the $60 fee for 60 days is actually cheaper than the 30 day visa exempt + 1900 baht 30 day extension (and saves a trip to Thai immigration)

Edited by aussiexpat

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I was going to go visa exempt as I really couldn't be bothered posting my passport to Canberra for a TR, however a forum member messaged me to say the Sydney Consulate offers an on-line TR application.

I checked it out and filled it in up to loading the documents and it works well despite having to indicate I have Qld residence in the first question (I thought Qlders could only use the Canberra Embassy)

Can anyone confirm that any Aussie can use the Sydney TR process (not just NSW)

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa

Edit: I'll fully apply next week and see how it goes as the $60 fee for 60 days is actually cheaper than the 30 day visa exempt + 1900 baht 30 day extension (and saves a trip to Thai immigration)

my interpretation of the following page from their website is that you still need to mail/courier your passport to the consulte. it says "This processing time excludes the mailing of applications to the Consulate and the return of passports to applicants."

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-application-online-2

perhaps send them an email to confirm, I've sent a couple myself and the response was very quick. the last email I sent was on Saturday, 2/10 at midday. response was received Sunday night at 10pm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

my interpretation of the following page from their website is that you still need to mail/courier your passport to the consulte. it says "This processing time excludes the mailing of applications to the Consulate and the return of passports to applicants."

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-application-online-2

Oh, if I still have to post my passport I might as well do everything by post in one go. Thanks

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Oh, if I still have to post my passport I might as well do everything by post in one go. Thanks

It appears as though the online application is only for pre-approval, you still have to do everything manually, so canberra would be better as no pre approval required, that is if you have the time as post is very slow, I have been waiting for a small parcel for over a month!.

The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney wishes to advise that your visa is pre-approved.

Due to Covid -19 and restrictions as part of the NSW Government Public Health Order;

We will accept mail application only until further notice. Please keep up to date on changes to NSW Government restrictions as they are made, which may affect changes to procedures as outline below. 

Please post the following items to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney (Level 8, 131 Macquarie Street Sydney 2000)

• Your original passport and copy
  • A completed visa application form with photo attached
  • A self-addressed return envelope and visa fee $60 (Money Order addressed to Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney).
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Polaky said:

It appears as though the online application is only for pre-approval, you still have to do everything manually, so canberra would be better as no pre approval required, that is if you have the time as post is very slow, I have been waiting for a small parcel for over a month!.

The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney wishes to advise that your visa is pre-approved.

Due to Covid -19 and restrictions as part of the NSW Government Public Health Order;

We will accept mail application only until further notice. Please keep up to date on changes to NSW Government restrictions as they are made, which may affect changes to procedures as outline below. 

Please post the following items to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney (Level 8, 131 Macquarie Street Sydney 2000)

• Your original passport and copy
  • A completed visa application form with photo attached
  • A self-addressed return envelope and visa fee $60 (Money Order addressed to Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney).

thanks mate, I remembered seeing that info before but couldn't find it again. i dunno what a money order is and they don't accept crypto payments so I'm going visa exempt ????

Edited by Lemsta69

also want to confirm what @polaky said about the postal delays. I had an Express Post parcel take a week to get from Melbourne to Sydney. that was two weeks ago so maybe they've cleared the backlog by now. or maybe it's gotten worse ????

Sydney consulate don't say how they'll return your passport but for a $60 application fee I don't think it will be DHL. they're the only ones I'd trust to make speedy deliveries, had a package delivered from Singapore by DHL in 4 days. delivered on a Sunday morning.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Sydney consulate don't say how they'll return your passport but for a $60 application fee I don't think it will be DHL. they're the only ones I'd trust to make speedy deliveries, had a package delivered from Singapore by DHL in 4 days. delivered on a Sunday morning.

You have to include a pre-paid envelope of your choice with the application/passport you send them

• Thanks 1