Returning Aussie Visa requirements

I almost got caught out on my Singapore flight. While the Thai COE requires PCR test result within 72 hours of departure, to be able to transit through Singapore a PCR test result is required within 48 hours of departure. 

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/travel-info/transit-through-singapore/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 3:37 PM, Will27 said:

That will probably change if the Government opens up the borders by Xmas.

Personally, I would wait a while before I started making plans.

There's a lot to playout right now.

Reading the Qantas press they are only opening up to 'COVID-safe' countries of which Thailand is not one of them (UK, USA, Singapore, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and Fiji). So we'll likely need a travel exemption well into next year ????

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100498078

Training for my ASQ by staying in bed all day binging netflix while I wait for a response to my exemption. Bloody thing hasn't changed from status 'received' since noon yesterday ????

I don't think I'm going to like jumping through all these hoops lol

• Like 1

Hi,With Australia opening up again soon,I to will be returning to LOS,B4 Covid I was living in Thailand on Retirement Extensions and hope to resume on the same.I read here via Udonjoe,who has helped me on here B4,that I only need to enter on a visa exempt ,and do the "o" visa application say 2 weeks in.I still have the 800.000tbt in my bank account,so is this all ok? thanking you 

23 minutes ago, jackinthai said:

Hi,With Australia opening up again soon,I to will be returning to LOS,B4 Covid I was living in Thailand on Retirement Extensions and hope to resume on the same.I read here via Udonjoe,who has helped me on here B4,that I only need to enter on a visa exempt ,and do the "o" visa application say 2 weeks in.I still have the 800.000tbt in my bank account,so is this all ok? thanking you 

That is still correct. But you have to remember you have to have at least 15 days remaining on your permit to stay or the 30 day extension of it to apply for the 90 day non-o visa entry.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jackinthai said:

I only need to enter on a visa exempt ,and do the "o" visa application say 2 weeks in.I still have the 800.000tbt in my bank account,so is this all ok?

Thats correct. Keep in mind that if time gets tight you could obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry.

The other alternative would be to obtain a tourist visa in Oz and be stamped in for 60 days. 

Having the bank account with the dosh already has you in very straightforward situation.

Edited by DrJack54

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is still correct. But you have to remember you have to have at least 15 days remaining on your permit to stay or the 30 day extension of it to apply for the 90 day non-o visa entry.

You mention non-O is initially 90 days. Is it then extended for a year (based on retirement/marriage) So you actually get 15 months?

Also, I was told that if you leave and come back just before the 12 month expiry you automatically get another 12 months on entry. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

58 minutes ago, jackinthai said:

g'day Jack. by "opening up again soon" what timeframe are you thinking of? what I've read is that ScoMo is talking about Movember to restart international travel but it will only be to limited "safe" destinations at first. Thailand not on that list of course.

I'm looking at skipping town in late November (SYD-BKK) and fully expect to have to apply for the travel exemption.

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

I was looking at the same time, but now that I got my exemption I'm thinking why not just book my flight and 7 nights ASQ and go next week lol

Really depends on what the plans are in Thailand. 

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I was looking at the same time, but now that I got my exemption I'm thinking why not just book my flight and 7 nights ASQ and go next week lol

well if you're that keen then get a wriggle on mate. I'm actually dreading going back, the heat and humidity is going to kill me for the first few months ????

3 minutes ago, jackinthai said:

Lemsta69,im thinking Jan/Feb,hopefully wen things are near normal,the Gov are apparently negotiating with more countries as we speak for travel bubbles,hopefully Thailand is 1,cheers.

good plan. Qantas pilots will have remembered where the gear stick is by then.

• Haha 2

Looking forward to the O visa, as far as I can tell this is the process:

(1) arrive on visa exempt- 30 days

(2) extend visa exempt - 30 days - 1900 baht

(3) apply for non-imm O visa - 90 days - 2000 baht

(4) deposit 800k in bank for minimum 60 days

(5) apply for extension based on retirement- 1900 baht - 12 months

So all up I get 17 months for 5,800 baht. Much cheaper than the O-A

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Looking forward to the O visa, as far as I can tell this is the process:

(1) arrive on visa exempt- 30 days

(2) extend visa exempt - 30 days - 1900 baht

(3) apply for non-imm O visa - 90 days - 2000 baht

(4) deposit 800k in bank for minimum 60 days

(5) apply for extension based on retirement- 1900 baht - 12 months

So all up I get 17 months for 5,800 baht. Much cheaper than the O-A

nice. may I ask why step 2? why not apply for non-O immediately?

19 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Because then I would only get 16 months ????

Nah, good point as I already have my bank account done

thanks mate, this is really useful info. I was originally going to get a tourist visa but after this post I'm tending towards visa on arrival ... oops, visa exemption so as to save precious space in my ridiculously overpriced nanny state passport ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

thanks mate, this is really useful info. I was originally going to get a tourist visa but after this post I'm tending towards visa on arrival ... oops, visa exemption so as to save precious space in my ridiculously overpriced nanny state passport ????

Don't forget your onward flight required with your visa exempt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't forget your onward flight required with your visa exempt.

I've traveled many times on a visa exempt and have never been asked to show onward flight (had one-way ticket only).

Unless it's a COE requirement to show it, wouldn't it be possible to just buy a throw away ticket at Customs if they request it (flight can be booked in 5 minutes)

Edit: or apply for one of those flights that holds your booking for 72 hours until you pay. Then you have itinerary and just let it lapse rather than pay it

Edited by aussiexpat

15 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I've traveled many times on a visa exempt and have never been asked to show onward flight (had one-way ticket only).

Unless it's a COE requirement to show it, wouldn't it be possible to just buy a throw away ticket at Customs if they request it (flight can be booked in 5 minutes)

Edit: or apply for one of those flights that holds your booking for 72 hours until you pay. Then you have itinerary and just let it lapse rather than pay it

Yes can do as you have outlined. 

Indeed pre covid I was flying out of Thailand and back more than once a month for years. 

Airports and airlines can vary.

I can assure you many airlines will require an onward flight or look for visa, reentry permit etc to Thailand.

My last flight x Melbourne to Saigon was with Jetstar. 

I had a visa for Vietnam albeit only had few days till expiry.

My plan was few days in Vietnam the back home to Thailand (with reentry permit).

The check in was not satisfied. Wanted to see my flight out of Vietnam (due to that visa having only 5 days left).

She was over stepping her rank but was the one in control for boarding pass issue.

I had an onward flight and showed screenshot.

I suggest that you have been fortunate.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

usually it's the check-in counter that will ask for it. I got asked about it on my last trip from SYD-BKK although that was a few years ago now (Dec 2014). my return leg was at 35 days so I just told them I'd extend at immi. which I didn't because I couldn't be stuffed going all the way to that silly Chaeng Wattana place. dunno why they don't have an office near the Khao San Road ????

I'll be using that rent-a-ticket service that's been mentioned in this forum a few times. just to cover my you know what. too much hassle trying to do it at the airport.