Returning Aussie Visa requirements

So the latest is that Aussies will be allowed to travel again once the adult population reaches 80% vaccinated (currently at 51%). The plan is in December 2021.

O-A Visa: I am shocked at how much this Visa costs:

(a) $300 fee (7,200 bt)

(b) 48,000 bt insurance (400k/40k)

(c) 14,400 bt covid insurance

(d) $42 AFP police check (1000 bt)

(e) $78 medical (1,870 bt)

So that's about 72,500 bt, or A$3,000

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant/

Tourist Visa: this costs $60 (720bt) for 60 days + 30 days extention. I can then get an O visa in Thailand by transferring A$33,500 to my Thai bank. O visa costs 2000bt I think? So that's about 2,700 bt all up (A$120).

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/tourist-visa-2/

Covid Insurance: all travellers to Thailand require covid insurance for the length of stay in Thailand. For the Tourist Visa, I'm not sure if the initial 60 days is enough or I need to do 90 days to cover the extension. 60 days is 2,880 baht and 90 days is 3,840 baht (one year is 14,400 baht)

https://covid19.tgia.org/

Flights: I've been monitoring Singapore Airlines which is one of the few airlines still flying to Aus. One-way flights have been $674 from Brissy for months, however they have just jumped to $742 for October/November. December is still $674. Note: Qantas has opened international flights 18 Dec, however Bangkok is not on the list

Singapore app: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amadeus.merci.client.ui

Quarantine: I won't use the Phuket or Sumui sandboxes as I think I'm more likely to catch covid trapped on an infected Island. I'm hoping the meeting next week drops ASQ back to 7 days which I'll happily do in Bangkok.

Exemption: I'm not going to wait for the 80% vax and have completed an exemption application. It's pretty simple and I used my condo as the compelling reason to travel (as it has not been maintained in 2 years). I used my condo annual fee as proof of ownership and included my Thai bank statement with monthly electricity deductions. Here's hoping that's enough.

https://travel-exemptions.homeaffairs.gov.au/tep

COE: this seems pretty straight forward attaching flights and pre-paid ASQ/SHA+ hotels and the $100k covid insurance. One issue is the Embassy still asks for a 'fit to fly' certificate to be shown at the gate, even though no other country seems to require it?

1. A Fit to Fly or Fit to Travel health certificate, issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

Good luck everyone as Thailand braces for the return of the Aussie Prisoners after 18 months locked away from the World ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

: I won't use the Phuket or Sumui sandboxes as I think I'm more likely to catch covid trapped on an infected Island.

Don't understand this bit. Are you vaccinated? "Infected island"? 

Also how long do you plan to stay in Thailand? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand this bit. Are you vaccinated? "Infected island"? 

Also how long do you plan to stay in Thailand? 

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  I guess I'm just anti sandbox asking for so many PCR tests for vaccinated tourists while locals are 200+ positive tests a day.

7 days ASQ much better to be over and done with it

9 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  I guess I'm just anti sandbox asking for so many PCR tests for vaccinated tourists while locals are 200+ positive tests a day.

7 days ASQ much better to be over and done with it

Your plan non O retirement (obtained at immigration) with transfer of funds for your non O will work no issue.

Make sure that you can show funds came from o/s.

Obviously you have Thai bank account? 

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your plan non O retirement (obtained at immigration) with transfer of funds for your non O will work no issue.

Make sure that you can show funds came from o/s.

Obviously you have Thai bank account? 

Yes I've had a Krungsi account for years, got it in a visa exempt visit :)

What proof of overseas transfer are they looking for? Just the unsigned transfer receipt I get from my Aus bank?

One of the most stressful thoughts to me was paying for everything in advance and then having everything wasted if I couldn't get my PCR test result back within the 72 hour window before flight.

This company (Australia wide) takes all that stress away as there's a clinic 5km away from me ????

($150 for test result within 24 hours, can be same day result if you go to certain clinics, but that is $300)

https://consumer.healius.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXrpi3gmWiQHCmRGoipTR5ypkYgE8E6knLhQ17dLAgCFGq1vzEac8ZxoCoukQAvD_BwE

Edited by aussiexpat

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

What proof of overseas transfer are they looking for? Just the unsigned transfer receipt I get from my Aus bank?

Sounds like you intend to transfer while your still in Oz.

Not sure what you need to show.

Most common is folk doing this transfer while in Thailand. Someone will advise what was required. 

BTW as you have bank account in place you would have plenty of time to obtain the non O in Thailand. No need for 30 day extension. 

Added note to others... Good you were able to open bank account years back on a visa exempt entry. Far more difficult now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You can get a credit advice from your bank here to prove it was transferred from abroad. You could get that at the same time your request the bank letter and your bank book updated.

You can enter visa exempt and get a 30 or 45 day entry instead of applying for a tourist visa and then apply for the non-o visa at immigration. You could then apply for a 30 day extension.

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW as you have bank account in place you would have plenty of time to obtain the non O in Thailand. No need for 30 day extension. 

If he enters visa exempt he may only get a 30 day entry (if order for 45 day is not extended) it would be a bit of rush to do it before he has 15 days left after quarantine even if is only 7 days if he is fully vaccinated. It appears it will be 10 days if not vaccinated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he enters visa exempt he may only get a 30 day entry (if order for 45 day is not extended) it would be a bit of rush to do it before he has 15 days left after quarantine even if is only 7 days if he is fully vaccinated. It appears it will be 10 days if not vaccinated.

I read it that he was doing the tourist visa option. Perhaps he can confirm. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can enter visa exempt instead of applying for a tourist visa.

To get an exemption to leave Australia I have to agree to stay out a minimum of 3 months. A 60 day TV + 30 day extension meets that obligation should I need to return to Aus for unknown reasons.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

To get an exemption to leave Australia I have to agree to stay out a minimum of 3 months. A 60 day TV + 30 day extension meets that obligation should I need to return to Aus for unknown reasons.

That will probably change if the Government opens up the borders by Xmas.

Personally, I would wait a while before I started making plans.

There's a lot to playout right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Regarding the AFP check..

Is that new, or was it always a requirement?

What should one be worried about there?

what would possibly get you blocked?

I imagine if applying for OA visa in Thailand, you would not need it?

Police check always required for non O-A application. 

BTW Non O-A cannot be applied for in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Police check always required for non O-A application. 

BTW Non O-A cannot be applied for in Thailand. 

Ok but you can apply for the equivalent in-country version as posters state above?

I guess thats the one simply referred to Non-O?

4 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Ok but you can apply for the equivalent in-country version as posters state above?

I guess thats the one simply referred to Non-O?

Yes. Specifically a non O (based on retirement).

Better option anyway with borders closed and for extensions no 40/400 insurance requirement.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Regarding the AFP check..

Is that new, or was it always a requirement?

What should one be worried about there?

what would possibly get you blocked?

I imagine if applying for OA visa in Thailand, you would not need it?

AFP check is just a police name check. It basically just proves that there is a real person with that name and date of birth.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

AFP check is just a police name check. It basically just proves that there is a real person with that name and date of birth.

oh ok, i presumed the whole point of it was to check for any criminal history, or if any charges were still outstanding.

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

oh ok, i presumed the whole point of it was to check for any criminal history, or if any charges were still outstanding.

When I applied for non O-A in Oz it stated ......"...no disclosable court outcomes". See attachment.

IMG_20210926_131455_203~2.jpg

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When I applied for non O-A in Oz it stated ......"...no disclosable court outcomes". See attachment.

OK not sure now. I know you can apply for a 'name check' and a 'criminal records check' through the AFP and the O-A asks for s name check. My previous police certificates (for employment) didn't look anything like yours. Either way, I don't have any record ????

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Good luck everyone as Thailand braces for the return of the Aussie Prisoners after 18 months locked away from the World

Given you're planning on living in Thailand via retirement extension you could have obtained an exemption letter to travel, though would be required to quarantine on arrival in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

53 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Given you're planning on living in Thailand via retirement extension you could have obtained an exemption letter to travel, though would be required to quarantine on arrival in Thailand.

I could have got an exemption for an issued O-A Visa but very unlikely I would get one for " the intention to apply for an O visa in Thailand". That's why I'm going down the exemption for condo maintenance.

I'm also hoping they relax the scrutiny a little on the exemptions seeing they're opening up anyway in December

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I could have got an exemption for an issued O-A Visa but very unlikely I would get one for " the intention to apply for an O visa in Thailand". That's why I'm going down the exemption for condo maintenance.

I'm also hoping they relax the scrutiny a little on the exemptions seeing they're opening up anyway in December

mate I'm going to try the "intention to apply" approach once the new Thai entry rules, if any, come into effect.

that's assuming I can work out what to say on the bloody stat dec ????

if they say no then i suppose I wait until Scotty from Marketing lets us out of prison. assuming he doesn't <deleted> off to Hawaii again for Chrissy.

• Like 1

Found a problem with flights on Singapore Airlines. I can't book a return ticket. I was going to book a return at 90 days just to line up with the TV and then change it as it's valid for a year with date changes free.

I've traveled to Thailand many times before with just a one way ticket and never had a problem, however these are different times obviously. I'm hoping just a confirmed one way ticket there and a proposed itinerary back will be enough.

Edit: haha, just tried Business class and no problem getting a ticket. Only 108,955 baht one way to Brisbane lol

Edited by aussiexpat

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Found a problem with flights on Singapore Airlines. I can't book a return ticket. I was going to book a return at 90 days just to line up with the TV and then change it as it's valid for a year with date changes free.

I've traveled to Thailand many times before with just a one way ticket and never had a problem, however these are different times obviously. I'm hoping just a confirmed one way ticket there and a proposed itinerary back will be enough.

Edit: haha, just tried Business class and no problem getting a ticket. Only 108,955 baht one way to Brisbane lol

You could book Jetstar on the 3rd of may to melbourne, cheap as chips, that would give you proof of a return ticked to forward for exemption. no doubt they will cancel that flight so you will get your dollars back, should also be enough to satisfy thai imm if you state you will be applying for an non o.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

mate i thought onward tickets were the go not return tickets.  check this thread out for more info:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

mate i thought onward tickets were the go not return tickets.  check this thread out for more info:

Onward ticket to where? As far as I know you cannot fly from Thailand to stay in Laos, Vietnam, Singapore or Cambodia. Surely Thai immigration know that so an onward tickets is useless.

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Onward ticket to where? As far as I know you cannot fly from Thailand to stay in Laos, Vietnam, Singapore or Cambodia. Surely Thai immigration know that so an onward tickets is useless.

I cannot state what is required for COE from the places where folk apply for that.

As far as actually obtaining a boarding pass at departing airport you only need onward flight if flying visa exempt. 

That does not need to be return flight. Can book any cheap..ish flight and throw it or buy 'rent a ticket' from internet companies.

Some folk opt to buy return flight with date change available.

Upon landing in Thailand passport control will not be interested in any onward/return flight.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

ha ha i was thinking that too but was too gutless to ask.  other dudes have said they've used that service successfully so i guess the embassy or consulate doesn't really give a rat's as long as you've ticked the box.