Large money transfer.

1 minute ago, Jen65 said:

Changes in Reporting Requirements of Foreign Exchange Transactions (2004)

In order to reduce the paperwork required for foreign exchange transactions (buying, selling, depositing, withdrawing foreign currencies) between financial institutions and their non-interbank customers, the Bank of Thailand has consolidated and simplified all relevant Notices into a new Notice of the Competent Officer effective from April 1, 2004 Changes are summarized as follows:

1. Revoke all Notices of the Competent Officer and related circulars by issuing a new Notice for easy reference.
  2. All types of transactions are to be reported in a single foreign exchange transactions forms replacing Thor.Tor 3, Thor.Tor 4, and Thor.Tor 5.
  3. Foreign exchange transactions amounting to an equivalent of USD 20,000 or over have to be reported in the Foreign Exchange Transaction Form.
  4. SWIFT documents that have all the information according to the Foreign Exchange Transaction Form can be used as the Foreign Exchange Transaction Form in order to facilitate nonresident customers.
  5. Exporters and importers are no longer required to submit Thor.Tor 1 and Thor.Tor. 2 as the information are already reported in the Custom Declaration Form.
  6. Foreign exchange transactions of exporters and importers arising from trade amounting to an equivalent of USD 20,000 or over have to be reported.
  7. Financial institutions will submit report on foreign exchange transactions and data to the Bank of Thailand in electronic forms instead of paper form.
  8. Reduce paperwork on foreign exchange transactions of government and government agencies.

Source: Bank of Thailand

so , as it says , if you do a SWIFT bank transfer , that is accepted as equivalent to the FET

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

This is why I can never understand people raving about Wise, My UK bank has a set fee of just 20 pounds for any transfer, I only transfer once a year and don't need it the same day. 500 bht max fee from BKB.

yes, same here , I am only charged 20pds for any transfer 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

Just tried to transfer £50 k with wise for a land purchase. They wanted the proof of the purchase ie copy of land tile ect

So you set the transfer up, sent the 50k then it got blocked somehow by Wise, you contacted them and that's what they said?

I had to call Santander 3 times this morning as my transfer kept getting blocked, somethings going on, lots more checks it seems

Edited by scubascuba3

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Your lawyer wasn't totally correct, with Wise if you process correctly it will be classed as International and is fine for property purchases and Immigration

not sure whether Wise accepted in leu of the FET form - SWIFT definitely IS !

5 hours ago, matchar said:

The exchange rate is constantly changing but WISE tell you exactly how much baht you will receive before you make the transfer. It will be interesting to see how much baht you receive from your SWIFT transfer, I expect it will be less than WISE though. Your local Thai bank will decide the exchange rate.

OK, if it's not too embarrassing, I'll let you know how much I get. ????

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, crazykopite said:

Set up a wise account the first two transfers are free if I’m correct plus they give the best rate best way would be to transfer your 100k into you new wise account and when your happy with the exchange rate send it to your Thai bank account there is a charge 

Not free first two transfers, was charged on both.

in the last two months.

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you set the transfer up, sent the 50k then it got blocked somehow by Wise, you contacted them and that's what they said?

I had to call Santander 3 times this morning as my transfer kept getting blocked, somethings going on, lots more checks it seems

No . When I entered the amount and hit bank transfer it took me to a another page to enter the details why I wanted to transfer a large amount. Didn't bother just transferred it it smaller amounts with no problem. 

Just read another thread saying Western Union are making it harder to transfer money here too

53 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

No . When I entered the amount and hit bank transfer it took me to a another page to enter the details why I wanted to transfer a large amount. Didn't bother just transferred it it smaller amounts with no problem. 

Just read another thread saying Western Union are making it harder to transfer money here too

Interesting, must be doing additional checks, no doubt a money laundering issue. My bank mentioned someone was sending 90 smaller transactions rather than 1 big transaction to avoid the checks, but they were blocked

Edited by scubascuba3

On 9/28/2021 at 10:01 PM, JetsetBkk said:

OK, if it's not too embarrassing, I'll let you know how much I get. ????

Hmm, slightly embarrassing, but I'm a big boy.

So the money arrived after 27 hours and it wasn't the 481,615 that Matchar said WISE would send. It was only 475,730.

So it was 5,885 less - i.e. about £130!  Or 1.2%. 

The current exchange rate at XE.com is 45.5793 THB.

So, with that rate, I should've got: 478,606.84 which is 2,876 less than WISE. Or 0.6%.

I don't know where WISE got their rate from.

Surely, it didn't drop so much in 24 hours?

4 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

So the money arrived after 27 hours and it wasn't the 481,615 that Matchar said WISE would send. It was only 475,730.

So, with that rate, I should've got: 478,606.84 which is 2,876 less than WISE. Or 0.6%.

The exchange rate has dropped quite significantly since then so it's difficult to compare. WISE guarantee the rate when you first make the transfer though and it seems like the rate you received was only around 45.3 which is less than the current WISE rate of 45.58.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I use investing.com app to monitor rates 

Excellent!

10 hours ago, matchar said:

The exchange rate has dropped quite significantly since then so it's difficult to compare.

You ain't kidding! If my transfer hit the lowest rate, I lost "only" 445 Bt. 

1857203407_DropScreenshot2021-09-30173531.jpg.23759d00a7880eb94b718863cced58f0.jpg

The next time I do a transfer (in a couple of months), I'll come back and do this again. ????

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Perhaps they do, you were unlucky. Here is the last 7 days Wise rates.

image.png.6f6e531404131f51e544f7302d427944.png

https://wise.com/gb/currency-converter/gbp-to-thb-rate?amount=1000

I iused to work for HSBC 

1 determine the mid market rate which is constant flux

Inter alia xe.com

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=2519.77&From=CHF&To=THB

These are updated constantly when markets open

While many UK banks claim a low or fixed fee this masks a large " spread" the difference between buy and sell.

I have used a number of banks inc Bangkok Bank London, SBS , NAB etc and Wise is a far superior service  rate and transparency, you know what you will get before you send, which may be important to ths eon a tight budget or being sure you meet visa thresholds of 65k or 40k per month.

As to exporting baht 

1 Dee Money

https://www.deemoney.com/

2 No problem buying clean US $ anywhere

19Exchange in Pratunam consistly superior to VASU or SuperRich which are all far better than all Thai Banks often by percentage points

If you do need to use a Thai bank try avoid Airprot branches with worse rates.

3 At Swampy range of smaller money changers in the basement tucked away near the Airport Link railway.

4 Do check on taking more than about 33,000 bahts $10,000/Gold  out as many countries have import regulations

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2021 at 2:19 PM, KannikaP said:

But the exchange rate at N'wide will not be as good as Wise. So it needs application of your O Level maths to determine which is the better option.

And in the end you will probably save a tenner!

For a transfer for the purchase of a condominium unit in Thailand, the exchange rate of N'wide [sic] does not come into play. The OP must order his UK bank to transfer GBP and let his recipient bank in Thailand convert it into THB.

• Confused 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, Scouse123 said:

Right now and for the foreseeable I recommend you to use the Wise transfer, excellent exchange rates and you can do this each day for three days as they have a daily limit, three transactions in total. It takes seconds once you are set up. Far better than banks.

I would never use WISE or similar for a transfer to Thailand for the purchase of a condominium unit because I could not be sure to get the necessary documentation required by the land department, in particular the Foreign Exchange Transfer Form (FETF)

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:00 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Your lawyer wasn't totally correct, with Wise if you process correctly it will be classed as International and is fine for property purchases and Immigration

Do you have personal experience with this, ie do you have a FETF issued by WISE in your possession or issued by your Thai bank for a remittance received via WISE?

If you know you definitely need a FET, it’s best that you send a SWIFT transfer with your bank this time. SWIFT is a more expensive method, because it’s not a local transfer. But it does mean you’ll be able to prove that the money came from abroad.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Do you have personal experience with this, ie do you have a FETF issued by WISE in your possession or issued by your Thai bank for a remittance received via WISE?

Yes, Bangkok Bank issued the letter confirming an international transfer by Wise and purpose a condo purchase. it's well documented how to ensure it's processed as International

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks. I just did a £10,500 transfer without apparent problems. Let's see what happens!   ????

Maybe someone else can do a £10,500 transfer using WISE, and see how much they get? My bank is Nationwide. Any other Nationwide account holders willing to give it a go? Just as an "academic exercise"?   ????

But you did not need the FETF (Foreign Exchange Transaction Form) for your incoming remittance nor did yo get one, did you?

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

But you did not need the FETF (Foreign Exchange Transaction Form) for your incoming remittance nor did yo get one, did you?

No, it was just a regular "living expenses" transfer.

I've not even heard of the FETF form, but knew there was something special you had to get if you wanted to get your money out of Thailand if you sold your condo.

You can contact me via PM and I will get somebody in the Bank to work with you to set a better FX rate than the street rate and to arrange for the whole thing to go smoothly. We can put you in touch with the manager of our London branch and he will assign someone to help.

Please note I have not read though this whole thread and I just read your message so I am not addressing any of the subsequent items raised. I am a senior exec with BBL and many people here have asked for my help in the past. Thank you