Large money transfer.

1 hour ago, ianguygil said:

You can contact me via PM and I will get somebody in the Bank to work with you to set a better FX rate than the street rate and to arrange for the whole thing to go smoothly. We can put you in touch with the manager of our London branch and he will assign someone to help.

Please note I have not read though this whole thread and I just read your message so I am not addressing any of the subsequent items raised. I am a senior exec with BBL and many people here have asked for my help in the past. Thank you

Your BB rate needs to be a lot better than it currently is, needs to be nearer the Wise rate, otherwise the majority of people will continue to use Wise

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Your BB rate needs to be a lot better than it currently is, needs to be nearer the Wise rate, otherwise the majority of people will continue to use Wise

Well. This is the difference between the Wholesale and the Retail rates. I have explained this many times before so I won't bother to spend my time on it again. And yes, it is far better for large amounts. 

19 hours ago, matchar said:

Well they certainly are not "good" if you compare them with somewhere like super rich.

You guys need to differentiate between transferring funds and exchanging currency (bank notes). Somebody like SuperRich can possibly be cheaper than others for exchanging currency, but unlikely for transferring funds. In fact I don't think they are even in that business.

Companies like WISE are convenient for small amounts but they actually "sit on top" of the Banking system, effectively buying in bulk and selling retail. They are a good partner of ours for retail transfers and have sa great app, but if you are moving something significant to you then you will get a better rate if it is dealt with by the treasury in a bank. And if both sides of the FX deal are effectively with the same bank, as when moving funds via one of our foreign branches as in the USA or the UK, you will obviously get an even better rate.

1 hour ago, ianguygil said:

You guys need to differentiate between transferring funds and exchanging currency (bank notes). Somebody like SuperRich can possibly be cheaper than others for exchanging currency, but unlikely for transferring funds. In fact I don't think they are even in that business.

Companies like WISE are convenient for small amounts but they actually "sit on top" of the Banking system, effectively buying in bulk and selling retail. They are a good partner of ours for retail transfers and have sa great app, but if you are moving something significant to you then you will get a better rate if it is dealt with by the treasury in a bank. And if both sides of the FX deal are effectively with the same bank, as when moving funds via one of our foreign branches as in the USA or the UK, you will obviously get an even better rate.

So are you saying the Wholesale rates are better than Wise? If these are hidden then it's impossible to compare. I'm looking to transfer around 10,000 GBP when the exchange rate is favourable which is a significant amount for me but maybe a small amount for some people. If I were to send it to my SCB account via SWIFT then I wouldn't even know the rate I would receive until it arrives. WISE are very upfront about their rates and fees which I like and it's why they are so popular I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matchar said:

So are you saying the Wholesale rates are better than Wise? If these are hidden then it's impossible to compare. I'm looking to transfer around 10,000 GBP when the exchange rate is favourable which is a significant amount for me but maybe a small amount for some people. If I were to send it to my SCB account via SWIFT then I wouldn't even know the rate I would receive until it arrives. WISE are very upfront about their rates and fees which I like and it's why they are so popular I think.

10,000 will not qualify as large. It is above 50,000 USD normally. For this and above you can ask for a rate and reference it in your money transfer. And your payment will be in the settlement instructions for an FX deal. FYI, I recently paid for my son's university which was a large amount but i used a credit card because it was just easier for me to do and the rate was good with the right card - in this case the BBL Infinite Visa. So it all depends.

No - we do not advertise because it depends on the deal and it depends on when. For 50 million it will be better than 50,000. If it is a future it will cost differently. It is complex. 10,000 GBP would not qualify as I said

8 minutes ago, ianguygil said:

10,000 will not qualify as large. It is above 50,000 USD normally. For this and above you can ask for a rate and reference it in your money transfer. And your payment will be in the settlement instructions for an FX deal. FYI, I recently paid for my son's university which was a large amount but i used a credit card because it was just easier for me to do and the rate was good with the right card - in this case the BBL Infinite Visa. So it all depends.

No - we do not advertise because it depends on the deal and it depends on when. For 50 million it will be better than 50,000. If it is a future it will cost differently. It is complex. 10,000 GBP would not qualify as I said

Well thanks for the information but it seems clear to me that for small fish such as myself WISE offer the best rates and the most convenience so I will continue to use them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matchar said:

Well thanks for the information but it seems clear to me that for small fish such as myself WISE offer the best rates and the most convenience so I will continue to use them.

Understood. WISE runs on top of the Banking system as an aggregator and agent. We are one of their major partners in Thailand. As I said, the easiest way to view this is Wholesale and Retail. If you buy in bulk the spread is less. Simple as that. Like buying at COSTCO. 

The problem I've had before when I transfer money from UK bank to Thailand bank is my uk bank insist on sending a passcode to my UK phone which doesn't do roaming for Thailand & a p.a.y.go thai sim number is not acceptable at my uk bank so I've never been able to do a money transfer whilst in Thailand, any suggestions???

6 hours ago, ray richards said:

The problem I've had before when I transfer money from UK bank to Thailand bank is my uk bank insist on sending a passcode to my UK phone which doesn't do roaming for Thailand & a p.a.y.go thai sim number is not acceptable at my uk bank so I've never been able to do a money transfer whilst in Thailand, any suggestions???

order a giffgaff sim online, takes a week to get here, add credit, get pac code from old sim network and port number across to giffgaff