Large money transfer.

Is it possible for me to transfer £100,000 from my UK bank to my Bangkok Bank in Thailand in 1 transaction for a condo purchase as I am coming to Thailand to live when I am permitted to do so.

The large amount will be from the sale of my property in the UK.

I don't really want to go back to the UK once I come over to live to transfer small amounts e.g £25-30,000 I just want to do it in 1 lump sum ????

• Like 1

Yes you can, you need to prime your UK bank as probably it will be blocked initially due to extra checks. For a large amount like this you can also contact the International desk at your thai bank who may give you a better rate.

Could alternatively use Wise but max transfer is 2m baht.

Also worth sending a small test amount first to ensure it settles correctly. If it goes to the wrong account you are shafted

• Like 1

Yes, you can do a transfer of that size anytime. you will probably have to change your daily limit at the UK end, its usually set by default at a lower amount but can be changed. (phone call, branch visit, online etc)

Why the urgency, with online banking nowadays you can literally transfer anytime from anywhere. if both banks are open for business its an instant transfer.

With that amount, it would be worth keeping an eye on the Bangkok bank TT rate, and transfer when the pound is up. The rate changes 3-4 times a day, usually up at the start of the month, down at the end of the month etc

Nowadays, there is no reason why, you cant come to Thailand, sit by the pool and transfer your money using your phone.

Set up online banking, come to Thailand, then worry about transferring money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes you can, you need to prime your UK bank as probably it will be blocked initially due to extra checks. For a large amount like this you can also contact the International desk at your thai bank who may give you a better rate.

Could alternatively use Wise but max transfer is 2m baht.

Also worth sending a small test amount first to ensure it settles correctly. If it goes to the wrong account you are shafted

I think it's not just Wise that has the THB 2 million limit; it may be a general limit. Talk to your Thai bank! Also, the full sum for a condo doesn't need to come in one lump; it can be several money transactions, but you will need a FET statement for each from your bank, to take to the Land Office. It is possible to send <deleted> ds through Wise to Bangkok Bank or Kasikornbank; they will write a statement that the funds are from abroad. Consult the help pages in the Wise website on the how-to. Saves a large pile of money vs. SWIFT transfers (mostly bc. exchange rate, somewhat relativized by Wise fees, but you still save big!)

Set up a wise account the first two transfers are free if I’m correct plus they give the best rate best way would be to transfer your 100k into you new wise account and when your happy with the exchange rate send it to your Thai bank account there is a charge 

• Like 1

Lloyds bank have no limit on what you send from a branch, internet banking/ the app you can send 100 000 pounds daily, i sent money to my Bangkok bank using the app, i thought there would be issues as i sent a similar amount to yours  there were non, the charge was 9.50 from lloyds and no fees from Bangkok bank, i looked and sending through a 3rd party, but the  difference was negligible 

• Haha 1

Any foreigner planning to purchase a property in Thailand must follow the correct procedures for Transferring Money into Thailand. If the proper steps are not taken it may prove impossible to repatriate the money when it comes time to sell the property and/or leave Thailand.

If more than US$ 50,000 is being remitted for the purchase of a condominium, a Foreign Exchange Transaction Form (FETF) must be requested from the receiving bank.

The Condominium Act states that any non-resident of Thailand who wishes to buy a condominium, must transfer the requisite funds from overseas specifically for that purpose.
Regardless of the buyer’s country of origin, the funds must be sent in a foreign currency, to be converted into Thai Baht (THB) by the receiving bank upon arrival in Thailand.

In order to register the condominium with the Land Department, the FETF documentation must be presented to prove that the full purchase price was transferred into the Kingdom from abroad. (The instruction on the bank transaction form should also state that the payment is for the sole purpose of purchasing a condominium.).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

As far as your bank is concerned, GBP 100K isn't a "large money transfer".  It's a piddling little one.

Your bank will make the transfer by SWIFT, and there are literally no limits on the amount that can be transferred by SWIFT.

Do note that you'll be way over the Deposit Protection Agency's limit of 1 million baht when the money arrives here.

It is to him!! So why are you putting him down with a sarcastic remark? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

It is to him!! So why are you putting him down with a sarcastic remark? 

I'm not making a "sarcastic remark".  Banks handle transfers of millions and millions every day.  Stating that GBP 100K is a trivial amount to transfer is simply a fact, not a put down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Could your solicitor pay the proceeds directly into your account at the London branch?

Bangkok Bank

2, 33 St. Mary Axe, The City, London, EC3A 8AA

Tel 020 7929 4422

The UK branch is for commercial accounts only - they do not handle retail banking.

Saying that you used to be able to set up direct transfer from the UK to your BBK account in Thailand via this branch but it needed to be set up from Thailand. Was mainly used for regular pension type payments from memory. Not sure if this is still done?

10 minutes ago, topt said:

The UK branch is for commercial accounts only - they do not handle retail banking.

Saying that you used to be able to set up direct transfer from the UK to your BBK account in Thailand via this branch but it needed to be set up from Thailand. Was mainly used for regular pension type payments from memory. Not sure if this is still done?

I have had a personal [retail] account with the London branch of Bangkok Bank for many years. They provide you with a user-code and you transfer from your bank to them in GBP. The funds are available in the Thai branch next working day. If you have an FCD account it is transferred in GBP and you get to control the exchange rate when you transfer to THB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

I have had a personal [retail] account with the London branch of Bangkok Bank for many years. They provide you with a user-code and you transfer from your bank to them in GBP. The funds are available in the Thai branch next working day. If you have an FCD account it is transferred in GBP and you get to control the exchange rate when you transfer to THB.

I am guessing that is via the method I mentioned but happy to be proved wrong.

Since you say you have a user code and I presume you use the account no of your account in Thailand I would suggest you don't actually have a separate account there?

Did you set it up in the UK or from Thailand? 

3 minutes ago, topt said:

I am guessing that is via the method I mentioned but happy to be proved wrong.

Since you say you have a user code and I presume you use the account no of your account in Thailand I would suggest you don't actually have a separate account there?

Did you set it up in the UK or from Thailand? 

I was merely clarifying the current situation for the OP's benefit. In response to your comments:

"The UK branch is for commercial accounts only - they do not handle retail banking.

Saying that you used to be able ........."

I set up the arrangement directly with the London branch. Obviously had to give them my Thailand account number for the transfer. How it is set up in the London branch I wouldn't know; or recall as it was some years ago. They act as a portal. I find it a convenient system and, from posts on previous topics, I believe I am not alone in that.

• Thanks 1

Bangkok bank in the UK is a UK bank with a UK banking license etc. Its not a branch of Bangkok Bank Thailand. 

Yes, it has the same parent company but otherwise it operates as a UK bank, no different to any other UK bank.

Its the same for any banks that operate in other countries, they are usuallly individual banks that operate as banks of the country they are located in.

• Like 1

Ten years ago i had £20.000 sent to my bank in Thailand (SCB) i received a phone call asking me what the money was for , i told them i need to show money in my bank to convert to a retirement visa

i was told ok . One thing i think i should have done was ask for a certificate to show where the money came from in case i had a problem returning the money to the Uk in the future . £100.000 is  lot of money i am no expert but if you ever wanted to return the money to the Uk you might need proof of having it sent here . Good luck with your move .

23 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

I set up the arrangement directly with the London branch.

Seems like my memory was faulty or they changed it as according to this 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

you have to apply with documentation to the London branch as you stated.:thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, harry94 said:

if you ever wanted to return the money to the Uk you might need proof of having it sent here

the bank cannot tell if it was the same money that was sent from the UK ...money has no smell...what

counts for the bank is where the customer is resident. if he will reside in thailand for few years

than the bank will see the source.