60m Doses of AstraZeneca Vaccine Ordered for Booster Shots

webfact

5 hours ago, Millman said:

Having just received my vaccination certificate(50 Baht) it firmly states it is for international travel. Unfortunately the UK does not recognise the AZ produced under licence as a reliable vaccine and will not accredit the dose for travel to the UK. The certificate has open pages for another 8 doses which means to me they expect many more boosters. Personally I will be insisting on a UK produced dose next time (even if I have to pay for it)

Slight misunderstanding here. The MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare Products Healthcare Agency) only recognises vaccines ADMINISTERED in UK, EU & USA.

Nothing to do with AstraZeneca manufactured in Thailand. Pfizer, Moderna, J&J etc are not recognised by MHRA if they were administered anywhere other than in UK, EU & USA.

I have heard this recognition may be given on 4 October, but my source could be as reliable as a Thai government official.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Most countries will end up doing a booster shots...even the U.S. will start giving booster shots for people who got 2 jabs of Pfiser...a mRNA vacinne.  Expect approval for a booster shot for those who got Moderna jabs also...another mRNA vacinne.  Booster shots will be the fad for 2022.  

Boosters already started in both USA (Pfizer) and UK (AstraZeneca).

3 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Not sure what difference it makes for travel. Everyone from Thailand must do 10 days as its red list country, thats vaccine or not 10 days

A lot of difference. Non British Nationals cannot (currently whilst Thailand is on the Red List) enter UK with vaccines administered in any place other than UK, EU, or USA.

Ergo, please sign this petition, (open to British Nationals):

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/594456

Edited by samtam

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

it says " with representatives of AstraZeneca (Thailand) "so I assume they are being produced in Thailand under contract with AZ. 

The question is "Next year? if we still have covid next year God save us.

But those who have invested  in Thailand AZ should be happy.????

That tall bloke aint a Thai, he's from AZ HQ so there's something odd going on

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the contract, the company must deliver 15 million doses in the first quarter of next year, 30 million doses in the second quarter and 15 million doses in the third quarter.

Hope for Thailand they will be able to deliver on time. My home country also ordered AZ and most of the vaccines were delivered months past the deadline that was agreed upon. 

43 minutes ago, samtam said:

A lot of difference. Non British Nationals cannot (currently whilst Thailand is on the Red List) enter UK with vaccines administered in any place other than UK, EU, or USA.

Ergo, please sign this petition, (open to British Nationals):

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/594456

Rules change from 4th Oct. More country added to the approved vaccine list but not Thailand. You still cannot enter UK from a red country with or without an approved vaccine if you are not a UK resident. I might be missing something here but if you not from the UK you cannot enter. 

Regardless of what vaccine you have if you are a resident you still need quarantine.

As for the petition, why should the UK trust WHO after the <deleted> show so far. The Uk is trying to keep out variants and as stated with unclear information coming from Thailand and the mix and match 20% subcutaneous do what ever program I'm not at all surprised they are not trusted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Any proof it's the vaccine they don't trust and not just the authority issuing the certificate?

Well as Thailand is on UK's "red list", form your own opinion!

UPDATE And see @Big Bert's post immediately above

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

Rules change from 4th Oct. More country added to the approved vaccine list but not Thailand. You still cannot enter UK from a red country with or without an approved vaccine if you are not a UK resident. I might be missing something here but if you not from the UK you cannot enter. 

Regardless of what vaccine you have if you are a resident you still need quarantine.

As for the petition, why should the UK trust WHO after the <deleted> show so far. The Uk is trying to keep out variants and as stated with unclear information coming from Thailand and the mix and match 20% subcutaneous do what ever program I'm not at all surprised they are not trusted.

We may be saying the same thing, but you CAN enter UK with a vaccine not approved by MHRA, but you will have to undergo 10 days quarantine at a designated facility, but only if you are a British National (BN), (not resident)*. You cannot enter at all if you are not a British National...the foregoing applicable whilst Thailand is on the Red List.

* I am a British National, but I am not resident in UK. I have had 2x AZ administered in Thailand, so currently I would have to undergo 10 days quarantine at a designated facility. My spouse is not a BN, so even with 2x AZ administered in Thailand is barred from entry to UK.

Edited by samtam

There's a new AZ vaccine (AZ 2816) in advanced Phase 3 trials.

Its primary role is as a booster.

In simple terms it's a tweak of the existing AZ designed to better fight Delta

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/first-covid-19-variant-vaccine-azd2816-phase-ii-iii-trial-participants-vaccinated.html

Not sure what changes to the AZ production process will be necessary if it proves effective

2 minutes ago, samtam said:

We may be saying the same thing, but you CAN enter UK with a vaccine not approved by MHRA, but you will have to undergo 10 days quarantine at a designated facility, but only if you are a British National (BN), (not resident)*. You cannot enter at all if you are not a British National...the foregoing applicable whilst Thailand is on the Red List.

* I am a British National, but I am not resident in UK. I have had 2x AZ administered in Thailand, so currently I would have to undergo 10 days quarantine at a designated facility. My spouse is not a BN, so even with 2x AZ administered in Thailand is barred from entry to UK.

Yes same as, I had my shots in the UK and still need 10 days quarantine. Certain visa's are available but i doubt the 6 month tourist is on it, more likely residence visa or study. It's a mine field to navigate as i also get exemptions to red list rules but hard to complete online. Immigration officer on the other end is also a challenge as they do not understand their own rules.

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Thai GF had two shots of Sinovac. Last one three months ago. Both times had a slight fever for a day.

Had a third "booster" shot of AZ on Tuesday morning. Completely wiped her out. went to bed with chills, fever and headache on Tuesday evening. In bed all day yesterday. Got up last night for food, but back on bed  with bad headache today.

Don't know if it's the booster effect, or if the AZ produces a stronger immune response, but far worse than in Sinovac reactions.

I had two AZ. First one slight fever and temperature and second one just a 15 minute hot flush

No adverse reaction to either my first or second AZ jabs.

1 hour ago, steevjee said:

That tall bloke aint a Thai, he's from AZ HQ so there's something odd going on

I agree that the article language  is ambiguous ,but if AZ Thailand was not involved why would there be representatives of it there?

And the same can be said for the representative of AZ international., I think they are there because a couple of things are being renegotiated and new agreements drafted , agreed and signed..

A) the present agreement calls for a percentage of AZ Thailand's production to be shipped to other countries. My assessment is that the distribution agreement has changed allowing Thailand to keep a different percentage of the production so that they might come up with 60M doses by next year,  

B)  That if the formula that AZ Thailand has acquired license for changes, (mentioned in the article ) AZ Thailand will be given and have license to the new formula.

Upon further   investigation into other publications which unfortunately I am not allowed to quote and post link here it was reported that the vaccine will be made at the Siam Biosience co in Pathum Thani .

I will send you a PM with more info.