Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

On 1/10/2022 at 1:34 AM, kwilco said:

I get the feeling you don't  know what "subsidy" means.

Your right, I was confused. I thought it meant global warming and whatnot but apparently I was wrong, and apparently the whole fossil fuel subsidy thing is a lie. I was shocked! 

867206807_Subsidies02.JPG.44114e9f9285e97d4116a00dc6be6b36.JPG

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Your right, I was confused. I thought it meant global warming and whatnot but apparently I was wrong, and apparently the whole fossil fuel subsidy thing is a lie. I was shocked! 

Direct vs. Indirect Subsidies

Direct subsidies are those that involve an actual payment of funds toward a particular individual, group, or industry. Indirect subsidies are those that do not hold a predetermined monetary value or involve actual cash outlays.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/subsidy.asp

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the oxymoronic statement you make here just about sums you up.

It's a bit damming of yourself that you gad to look it up and then apparently still don't understand the word.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:07 AM, kwilco said:

I think the oxymoronic statement you make here just about sums you up.

It's a bit damming of yourself that you gad to look it up and then apparently still don't understand the word.

I assume you meant damning, yes? In any event, would you please explain how my statement is oxymoronic? 

• 2 weeks later...

@KhunLA

Thanks for the video. Such a pity for the software glitches and suboptimal efficiency. Hopefully there will be better BEV (90% of Tesla standard) available when the charging infrastructure in Thailand will meet my requirements.

25 minutes ago, Klonko said:

@KhunLA

Thanks for the video. Such a pity for the software glitches and suboptimal efficiency. Hopefully there will be better BEV (90% of Tesla standard) available when the charging infrastructure in Thailand will meet my requirements.

Kind of surprised me, and a bit disappointing.  Some would annoy me, as they did the YTer.  

Like his comment about NEDC ratings for range.  Seem very appropriate with all things electric.  Guessing we are never privy to 'perfect conditions'.  

Find this to be true in all my electric toys, some more accurate 'ratings' than others.  From my drones, RC cars / boats, to my e-motorcycle, rated at 120-150 range, and I'd guess maybe 100 kms, at their recommended 'way to slow' speed.  Quite happy with them, but need to take the promos / specs / ratings, sometimes, with a large grain of salt.

Some fairly accurate, others, well ... NEDC ... ????

Hopefully they'll become closer to reality in the future, as complaints hit the home offices, and they realize, they're doing themselves no favors at the sales level with untrusting prospective buyers.

ICE (vs EV) ratings seem to be more accurate, and my ICE Vios, Mazda2 & MG ZS were, is pretty much spot on.

Edited by KhunLA

This little EV would be perfect for Pattaya.  The Citroen Ami, under 200K baht.  Plug is in the body where door closes, simple 220V plug you can use anywhere, no special "EV charging station" needed.

DSC00801.jpg

2021_Citroen_Ami.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

This little EV would be perfect for Pattaya.  The Citroen Ami, under 200K baht.  Plug is in the body where door closes, simple 220V plug you can use anywhere, no special "EV charging station" needed.

Just watched a vid on that one last night.  Good luck getting that here / Thailand for 200k.  China has a few nice ones also, but Thai pricing is 2X +, making them not the best value.  Some with decent specs for getting around town.  I'm not wanting something for out & abouts.

Keep thinking about a couple myself.  Waiting for better pricing.  The e-motorcycle isn't going to work well on rainy days. ????  Not that I would ride any scooter in the rain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Worth noting that Tesla was the second d best selling vehicle in the UK last year behind the Vauxhall Corsa.

Along with having the best selling model in EU, whether ICE or EV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

You definitely want to pay attention to this car salesman's opinion and ignore actual research.

YSE Study Finds Electric Vehicles Provide Lower Carbon Emissions Through Additional Channels

https://environment.yale.edu/news/article/yse-study-finds-electric-vehicles-provide-lower-carbon-emissions-through-additional#:~:text=But a recent study from,from fossil fuel-powered vehicles.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You definitely want to pay attention to this car salesman's opinion and ignore actual research.

YSE Study Finds Electric Vehicles Provide Lower Carbon Emissions Through Additional Channels

https://environment.yale.edu/news/article/yse-study-finds-electric-vehicles-provide-lower-carbon-emissions-through-additional#:~:text=But a recent study from,from fossil fuel-powered vehicles.

So if EVs are so great, why all the billions in subsides (your link) and mandates?

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, 2021 was the last year for the £2,500 government subsidy. 

Have you seen the forecasts for next year???

The govt have reduced the grant to 1500 because they were surprised by the size of numbers of uptake.

They are now giving grants of tens of thousands to equipe flats and other communal buildings with charging points .

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So if EVs are so great, why all the billions in subsides (your link) and mandates?

Same reasons ICES received subsidies for the last century.

Also if scale of production increases, the retail price will eventually drop.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

The worst piece of advice ever???

...and an abuse of the word research?

Edited by kwilco

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Hundreds of Billions of dollars more are still being spent on supporting fossil fuels over green technology and this has been going on for decades!

How much is spent supporting fossil fuels and green technology?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Hundreds of Billions of dollars more are still being spent on supporting fossil fuels over green technology and this has been going on for decades!

Also, the USA's defense dept alone spends about 81 billion dollars per year to protect world oil supplies

US spends $81 billion a year to protect global oil supplies, report estimates

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/us-spends-81-billion-a-year-to-protect-oil-supplies-report-estimates.html

16 hours ago, kwilco said:

Have you seen the forecasts for next year???

The govt have reduced the grant to 1500 because they were surprised by the size of numbers of uptake.

They are now giving grants of tens of thousands to equipe flats and other communal buildings with charging points .

Yes, another example of the rich being subsidized by the poor. 

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

It's hilarious that the the pollution crated by fossil fuels charging in considered a subsidy for the fossil fuel industry. 

Do you have a general breakdown of the subsidies? I thought not.

More Kool-Aid? 

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Also, the USA's defense dept alone spends about 81 billion dollars per year to protect world oil supplies

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/us-spends-81-billion-a-year-to-protect-oil-supplies-report-estimates.html

I thought we were energy independent, what happened?  

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

cnbc ... should of known, 2018, not about oil or military ... Trump bashing.

They probably spend a lot more than that, supporting regimes, before & after regime changes of now friendly oil rich countries.  Got to guard those wells / refineries, ports and waterways.

Military overseas .... major pet peeve of mine, and has nothing to do with defense.  Just corporate security force.  USA Military should never leave USA soil / waters. IMHO

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

cnbc ... should of known, 2018, not about oil or military ... Trump bashing.

They probably spend a lot more than that, supporting regimes, before & after regime changes of now friendly oil rich countries.  Got to guard those wells / refineries, ports and waterways.

Military overseas .... major pet peeve of mine, and has nothing to do with defense.  Just corporate security force.  USA Military should never leave USA soil / waters. IMHO

Had you read the article, you would have noted that it is actually in support of that particular individual. No blame at all. But your reflexive reaction does provide further proof of where your political allegiances lie.

26 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Apparently this means something to you.

Sorry, I should have re-read it before I posted. It should have read:

It's hilarious that the the pollution created by fossil fuels used for charging EVs is considered a subsidy for the fossil fuel industry. 

Do you have a general breakdown of the fossil fuel subsidies? I thought not.

Better?