Jump to content

Electric vehicles of all kinds


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And......?    😋

I am bored of reading comments about EVs not being green.  If you have an EV it is a natural next step to want to have solar. Solar panels have a useful life of 30 years so mine will outlast me. I cha

Further to this:   I have two electric cars. Fantastic! I will never have a petrol or diesel car again.   Earlier this year, I twice drove from Phuket to Bangkok and back again.

Posted Images

Unfortunately, due to import taxes,  they are still in the silly price range here.  Import tax, on just scooters, ranging from 50-80%, depending if imported complete or assembled here, as some scooters are. 

 

Cars starting at ฿500k & up.  ฿500k gets you a tinker toy car.  Same can be bought in China for < 1/3 the price.   Price along with no real network of charging stations will hold sales down.  That lack of network and 350km range kept us from getting the MG ZS EV last year.

 

Hard to justify the extra ฿500k price tag vs the fossil burning model we got.   MG now has one, a bit more range, and only ฿1 M.  Definitely worth a peek if not into road trips every month.  Although, if staying near main roads, Amphur Muangs along with MG dealers, not really a problem, until there are a lot more EVs on the road.

 

Then you'll start seeing the Qs at the stations, that the N/LPG stations had when the conversion push was on.  Lots of conversion regret came with that move ... 🤣  Especially after the subsidy removed ... 😭

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking at buying my sister a used Nissan Leaf in the U.K. it has 30,000 miles on it is under 5 years old and will cost 300,000 baht I’ve done a currency conversion. To purchase a new Nissan Leaf in Thailand the cost is 1.95 million baht it’s time this so called government stopped the ridiculous import charges  Nissan have brought out the Nissan Kicks cost for the top model is 1.1 million baht if the motor show goes ahead this year I will go and see what deal I can get on it it’s not a plug in its electricity is generated by petrol I think the petrol consumption is 4 litre per 100 km but as there are very few places where you can charge an EV this might be a good option for Thailand . China is going to be the main provider of affordable EVs maybe this administration will do a few brown envelopes and bring them into the Kingdom without ripping off the public we will have to wait and see.

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I’m looking at buying my sister a used Nissan Leaf in the U.K. it has 30,000 miles on it is under 5 years old and will cost 300,000 baht I’ve done a currency conversion. To purchase a new Nissan Leaf in Thailand the cost is 1.95 million baht it’s time this so called government stopped the ridiculous import charges  Nissan have brought out the Nissan Kicks cost for the top model is 1.1 million baht if the motor show goes ahead this year I will go and see what deal I can get on it it’s not a plug in its electricity is generated by petrol I think the petrol consumption is 4 litre per 100 km but as there are very few places where you can charge an EV this might be a good option for Thailand . China is going to be the main provider of affordable EVs maybe this administration will do a few brown envelopes and bring them into the Kingdom without ripping off the public we will have to wait and see.

I leased a Leaf in California. Also had a few Prius’s for comparison. I owned a few of the Prius….very good car. The limited range was an issue on the Leaf, but only had to get a charge once to get home….not bad in three years. I don’t think I would buy a Leaf, I would lease it, mainly because new technologies and batteries are arriving all the time. Also Prius are being used as taxis in many cities in the US and are getting huge mileage….that is a big reference point. Never seen a Leaf taxi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I leased a Leaf in California. Also had a few Prius’s for comparison. I owned a few of the Prius….very good car. The limited range was an issue on the Leaf, but only had to get a charge once to get home….not bad in three years. I don’t think I would buy a Leaf, I would lease it, mainly because new technologies and batteries are arriving all the time. Also Prius are being used as taxis in many cities in the US and are getting huge mileage….that is a big reference point. Never seen a Leaf taxi.

Prius owners seem to be a happy bunch (leaving room for the inevitable TV member to tell us how they had one and terrible blah blah blah)….been around a long time and well….”you just can’t beat a Toyota”👍

 

A couple of brands (Volvo is one I think) have committed to go all electric within a year or so!

I think there will be a major surge in electric for a couple of years very soon and then the price of used fossil fueled vehicles (trade ins) will start to fall driving the industry where they and the Govt. want them to go?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think clockwork is the way to go. Have a handle on the door like a window opener. You crank the handle and it makes electricity. You move forward a few feet and repeat until you get where you're going.

 

I just need to do some math first before I patent the idea and get rich.

 

If you want in , just send me 1000 baht a become a shareholder.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Motor show at BITEC, was scheduled for mid Oct, already postponed, or going online presented.  No updates.

 

A few of the current EV models, with pricing available now here.  A couple ticker toy cars, at ฿500k make, then ฿1 m & up.

https://th.carro.co/blog/10-cheapest-ev-cars-in-thailand/

Those prices sound high compared to Canada 🇨🇦 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the import tax, excise tax, VAT add quite a bit.  I believe all imported except the MGs, and they're simply assembled here, I think.  The MG ZS petrol is 700k + 500k for EV model, and a bit silly, since not a hybrid.

 

We bought a Mazda when last 'administration' pushed a promotion / excise tax rebate for new car buyers, and that tax rebate was 100k, on a 515k car.  So costs of new cars, made here are taxed at about 30% (25 excise & 7 VAT).  That's just silly.

 

Get a chuckle when people say 'Thailand's cost of living is so cheap'.  If just living, maybe, but not if wanting a few toys.  Or own your own home & car.  If not paying cash, the interest rates are even sillier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo electric makes sense especially in smaller countries like Thailand the UK and most European countries unfortunately untle they get a better storage system for the energy aka the (battery) it doesent make sense for my stateside vehicle not enough range yet nor charging stations 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Good to know. 

I didn’t know….I’m still lost on this!

If you’re trying to save the world I get that but if you’re simply trying to improve your travel costs I think it would take a long time to break even on the extra initial costs of the vehicle!

I read there’s new batteries every five years or so …..I’m sure they don’t come cheap plus there will be a large disposal fee for the old batteries I assume….. like they charge on used oil and batteries now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Around 2 million electric cars sold last year and close to 4 million this year and the pace is accelerating with a projected 40 million in 2025.

By 2030 around half the car sales will be electric and close to 100% by 2035, with large trucks mostly electric by 2045.

 

Is it any wonder the oil companies are pushing out press releases almost daily, trying to convince the public the electric cars / renewable energy are bad news and climate change is a hoax. 

 

Would you please post a link to one of these press-releases the oil companies are putting out?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kanada said:

disposal fee for the old batteries I assume….. like they charge on used oil and batteries now!

Never charged, either free or you get paid for used oil & batteries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kanada said:

I didn’t know….I’m still lost on this!

If you’re trying to save the world I get that but if you’re simply trying to improve your travel costs I think it would take a long time to break even on the extra initial costs of the vehicle!

I read there’s new batteries every five years or so …..I’m sure they don’t come cheap plus there will be a large disposal fee for the old batteries I assume….. like they charge on used oil and batteries now!

Yes indeed . all true, But it would have helped if you said some of that in your OP. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kanada said:

I think there will be a major surge in electric for a couple of years very soon and then the price of used fossil fueled vehicles (trade ins) will start to fall driving the industry where they and the Govt. want them to go?!

seems to be exactly the opposite in the UK at the moment... used car prices are climbing......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

seems to be exactly the opposite in the UK at the moment... used car prices are climbing......

Prices are certainly surging now as there is a shortage of parts to manufacture vehicles (due to a worldwide pandemic that hampered some parts suppliers for over a year)  If you're missing one screw or grommet, the assembly line comes to a halt.

 

Many jurisdictions have already set policy, banning sales of internal combustion engines in 2030 without regard for the oil companies protests and propaganda.

Edited by LarrySR
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Never charged, either free or you get paid for used oil & batteries.

In Canada and I believe N America there is a surcharge for disposing of batteries and used oil/antifreeze at all mechanical shops!

(there’s also a fee for their shop supplies but that’s another story)

Im sure the shops do have a buyer for those things but the customer pays the surcharge on every mechanics bill….it’s not only allowed but it’s required!

If you change your own oil you can dispose of it at any fire station along with paint and all other dangerous goods!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I’m looking at buying my sister a used Nissan Leaf in the U.K. it has 30,000 miles on it is under 5 years old and will cost 300,000 baht I’ve done a currency conversion. To purchase a new Nissan Leaf in Thailand the cost is 1.95 million baht it’s time this so called government stopped the ridiculous import charges  Nissan have brought out the Nissan Kicks cost for the top model is 1.1 million baht if the motor show goes ahead this year I will go and see what deal I can get on it it’s not a plug in its electricity is generated by petrol I think the petrol consumption is 4 litre per 100 km but as there are very few places where you can charge an EV this might be a good option for Thailand . China is going to be the main provider of affordable EVs maybe this administration will do a few brown envelopes and bring them into the Kingdom without ripping off the public we will have to wait and see.

One of the biggest costs of owning a vehicle is depreciation….how well they hold their value over a 3 year or 5 year period!

Consumer Reports or The Black Book is really helpful showing depreciation….some hold their value much better than others like the Toyota Prius….one of the cheapest for maintenance and again depreciation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bangon04 said:

seems to be exactly the opposite in the UK at the moment... used car prices are climbing......

Used vehicle prices follow the new prices up the ladder until they get too expensive and then people start buying new again as a rule!

I just think once dealers find that they can’t sell a fossil fuel powered trade in as quickly as they need to they’ll reduce the amount of $’s they put in or may stop taking them in trade altogether!

Speculation on my part of course but when the Govt. and Greenpeace and the major auto manufacturers decide something is going to happen it’s going to happen faster than we think!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they have those little stand up electric scooters in Thailand yet?  Seems like something that would be popular to rent.  They are all over the place in the west.  No idea what sort of range they have but they seem to zip along at a pretty good clip.  Can go in traffic or on the sidewalk although sidewalks don't really stop people on motor scooters in Thailand.

 

 

 

RHKbIhH5_1365x.png

Edited by shdmn
Link to post
Share on other sites

This tech will soon take over sailboat propulsion with electric motors that spin the propeller in reverse while under sail generating energy to recharge the lithium bank. Coupled with solar and wind just about as close as we've come to perpetual energy utilizing hydro, solar & wind to power a single transportation devise. Add on no noise or exhaust. I am looking at converting my 58' Steel Ketch to a twin system.

 

Oceanvolt - Hydro Generator for Boats

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Do they have those little stand up electric scooters in Thailand yet?  Seems like something that would be popular to rent.  They are all over the place in the west.  No idea what sort of range they have but they seem to zip along at a pretty good clip.  Can go in traffic or on the sidewalk although sidewalks don't really stop people on motor scooters in Thailand.

 

 

 

RHKbIhH5_1365x.png

There’s been a few rental companies try these in Thailand but they go broke one after the other….Seems like the perfect place for them but even pre Covid they seemed to go under.

Edited by Kanada
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...