What kind of Insurance for a one year extension from a non O A Visa ?

Good afternoon ,

My non O A VIsa is expiring on Oct 22 , I want to apply for a 1 year extension at Phuket immigration. What type of insurance do I need ?Is that the 400.000 for in-patient and 40.000 for out-patient ? Anything to do with the 3,000000 covering covid that I needed for the non O A Visa ????

Thanks very much for the orientation.

Isac  

2 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

I am confused since it was a Thailand  requirement last year...sorry. Any way thanks for answer my question.

I have done my last 2 O-A retirement extension at Phuket Immigration without the need of medical insurance.  Phuket Immigration is the ONLY office in Thailand that has the correct interpretation of the O-A Visa medical insurance requirement.  It is required when you first apply for the Non-Imm O-A Visa (Retirement).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

I have done my last 2 O-A retirement extension at Phuket Immigration without the need of medical insurance.  Phuket Immigration is the ONLY office in Thailand that has the correct interpretation of the O-A Visa medical insurance requirement.  It is required when you first apply for the Non-Imm O-A Visa (Retirement).

Thank you very much.

There have been other reports confirming the posts above.

However I would check that non requirement of insurance also applies to new non O-A issued after the insurance requirement was introduced. 

I would check with immigration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thank you very much.

Based on ubonjoe's input above, you may have to re-look at when you obtained your Non-Imm O-A Visa and the last date of entry.  Follow his source link for more information.  My O-A Visa was obtained much earlier and therefore no medical insurance needed for extension.

• Like 1

Isac 

It would appear, from UJ’s post, that you are unlucky and will have to buy the mandatory health insurance.

A call or visit to your IO will confirm this.

If this is the case then you will need the 400k/40k insurance ( not the $100,000 Covid19 cover needed for entry ).

The cheapest cover is LMG using a 200k deductible and will cost you 6k to 11k depending upon your age.

I have used LMG twice for extension of stay based on retirement ( OA Visa ) , the last time 2 weeks ago, their service is quick and easy .

I will pm you with a contact email to speed up the process if you are required to go this route.

Is this interpretation and application of the O-A Extension Compulsory Health Insurance rules being or likely to be adopted by any other Immigration Offices using the dates outlined in UJ’s post link?

Edited by skorts
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skorts said:

Is this interpretation and application of the rules being or likely to be adopted by any other Immigration Offices using the dates outlined in UJ’s post link?

No

Only Phuket has those rules.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

I did my Type O-A retirement extension at Phuket Immigration back in February this year and they DID require Thai approved medical insurance. 

I already had excellent health Insurance from Cigna (far exceeding Thai requirements) but since that was not on the Thai approved Insurance company list it was not accepted.  I had to purchase additional insurance from LMG (I went for such with a high deductible as I was already covered by Cigna).

So in my case I ended up being double insured - because of immigration requirements.

Edit - as pointed out already on this thread, for Phuket - it all depends on when one obtained their type-OA visa.  I ended up going for health insurance from LMG for my 2nd health insurance (to meet Thai requirements).

Edited by oldcpu