Aussie 30 day tourist visa for transition to 'O' visa with retirement extension in Thailand

A friend of mine (male aged 76) is planning to retire in Thailand. His exemption to travel application will state moving to Thailand with Thai de facto partner (both fully vaxxed) and live in her house for retirement. He is currently planning an Amphur marriage, but would it not be better, less bureaucratic hassle, to marry in Oz? @urban joe taking into account current regulations in Thailand do you have any knowledge if he can travel to Thailand on a 30 day visa, then apply locally to transition to 'O' visa? If not what would be his best option/s?

Thanks in advance for your time and guidance.

I just posted this in the Aussie returning' thread

1) arrive on visa exempt- 30 days

(2) extend visa exempt - 30 days - 1900 baht

(3) apply for non-imm O visa - 90 days - 2000 baht

(4) deposit 800k in bank for minimum 60 days [400k if for marriage]

(5) apply for extension based on retirement [marriage] - 1900 baht - 12 months

As for the marriage part. The big difference between Aus and Thai marriage is that in a Thai marriage any assets owned before marriage stay the property of groom/bride in case of divorce (Aus marriage each can get half of all assets)

Edited by aussiexpat

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

He is currently planning an Amphur marriage, but would it not be better, less bureaucratic hassle, to marry in Oz?

Best to register the marriage here. Is she in Australia now?

After getting married in Australia it requires the marriage certificate has be legalized and translated to to Thai and be certified by the Department of consular affairs. The the foreign marriage has to be registered at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that is required by immigration to apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

A friend of mine (male aged 76) is planning to retire in Thailand.

Only a guess but thinking perhaps your friend does not have a Thai bank account. These are more difficult to open now and time wise perhaps best to use agent.

Meaning just for the bank account.

Obtaining the non O and 12 month extension is not difficult.

In the future (after marriage) he could obtain his future extensions based on married to Thai.

The financials far more simple.

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After getting married in Australia it requires the marriage certificate has be legalized and translated to to Thai and be certified by the Department of consular affairs. The the foreign marriage has to be registered at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that is required by immigration to apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

Currently in Oz living in de facto relationship, so are you saying less hassle to marry in Thailand? 

For those interested current process to obtain Certificate of no impediment" from Oz Embassy.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Getting_Married_in_Thailand.html

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

<SNIP>

Have rules changed for Aussies from only being able to extend visa on arrival exempt by 15 days to 30 days,

By copy to urban joe. My friend does not have a Thai based bank account. Is it still best to open a Thai bank account in the area in which you will be living? Taking into account current seven day quarantine on arrival, what's currently the best tourist visa for Australians who wish to roll over to 'O' visa with retirement extension after arrival?

Edited by simple1

28 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Currently in Oz living in de facto relationship, so are you saying less hassle to marry in Thailand? 

For those interested current process to obtain Certificate of no impediment" from Oz Embassy.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Getting_Married_in_Thailand.html

Australians get 30 days extension of a visa-exempt entry and have for a long time.

He could come to Thailand on either a visa-exempt entry (30 days plus 30 day extension = 60) or a Tourist Visa (60 days plus 30 day extension = 90).  Either will allow him to apply for a Non-O visa at the immigration office in Thailand.  Which is best depends on convenience and length of permission to stay.  Visa-exempt is easier but gives you only 60 days to open a bank account and apply for a Non-O visa.  Tourist Visa requires purchase from Thai embassy/consulate but gives you 90 days (with extension) to accomplish opening bank account and applying for the Non-O visa.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, simple1 said:

It not about the actual marriage.

As I wrote before it is for registering your foreign marriage here to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry required by immigration to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

18 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Have rules changed for Aussies from only being able to extend visa on arrival exempt by 15 days to 30 days,

By copy to urban joe. My friend does not have a Thai based bank account. Is it still best to open a Thai bank account in the area in which you will be living? Taking into account current seven day quarantine on arrival, what's currently the best tourist visa for Australians who wish to roll over to 'O' visa with retirement extension after arrival?

Visa exempt for Au is 30days.

Has been 45 since covid.

Can be extended by 30 days once only.

Regarding Thai bank account I suggest using an agent. 

Not necessarily a visa agent.

To organize bank account.

23 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Nothing has changed for the 30 day extension of visa exempt entry (it not a visa on arrival that is only for 15 days after paying 2000 baht for it).

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It not about the actual marriage.

As I wrote before it is for registering your foreign marriage here to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry required by immigration to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

Thanks for clarification

I would suggest getting married in Thailand, it's simple. You would need a document which certifies that you can marry (that you currently are not married - whatever is the equivalent document in Australia like proof of divorce, etc.) and your passport, and your wife to be will need equivalent documentation which all will be in Thai language. You need an affidavit from your embassy in Thailand on that document, and have it translated to Thai by an accepted translation office (check with your local administration office where you plan to marry). After marriage, and if you intend to register your marriage in Australia, you will only need to translate the Thai marriage certificate back to English, and submit it to your embassy. You might want to check with your embassy what they require in addition to that.
As for a possible divorce or last will and subsequent division of your assets, this will not depend on where you marry but how you structure your last will and where it get's executed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

I would suggest getting married in Thailand, it's simple. You would need a document which certifies that you can marry (that you currently are not married - whatever is the equivalent document in Australia like proof of divorce, etc.) and your passport, and your wife to be will need equivalent documentation which all will be in Thai language. You need an affidavit from your embassy in Thailand on that document, and have it translated to Thai by an accepted translation office (check with your local administration office where you plan to marry). After marriage, and if you intend to register your marriage in Australia, you will only need to translate the Thai marriage certificate back to English, and submit it to your embassy. You might want to check with your embassy what they require in addition to that.
As for a possible divorce or last will and subsequent division of your assets, this will not depend on where you marry but how you structure your last will and where it get's executed.

My friend is heading towards end of live and wishes to provide some security for partner as defacto  relationships are not recognised in law in Thailand. I assume he will get married after arrival in Thailand. Thai partner has a wonderful house, so hopefully comfortable physically and mentally in his remaining years.

20 minutes ago, simple1 said:

My friend is heading towards end of live and wishes to provide some security for partner as defacto  relationships are not recognised in law in Thailand. I assume he will get married after arrival in Thailand. Thai partner has a wonderful house, so hopefully comfortable physically and mentally in his remaining years.

Is he wanting marriage for visa/extension reasons or to provide security for his lady.

If it's the latter your going about it all wrong.

Needs a will for Thai assets money in Thai banks etc to leave to her job done.

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Is he wanting marriage for visa/extension reasons or to provide security for his lady.

If it's the latter your going about it all wrong.

Needs a will for Thai assets money in Thai banks etc to leave to her job done.

Thanks, well aware of need to have legal Will in Thailand and assets / funds locally.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe, just a query, My wife is Thai we have a NZ marriage certificate, that has never been a problem to get a Non O from NZ side. Now the Thai consulars in NZ are all closed , so you can only get a 90 day non o from the Thai embassy itself. And if needing a 12 month very hard you need insurance both types not just covid.

Much easier to apply in Thailand, but it seems the marriage certificates (nz) which they recognize here may be a problem when applying in Thailand, is that the case??.

22 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Hi Joe, just a query, My wife is Thai we have a NZ marriage certificate, that has never been a problem to get a Non O from NZ side. Now the Thai consulars in NZ are all closed , so you can only get a 90 day non o from the Thai embassy itself. And if needing a 12 month very hard you need insurance both types not just covid.

Much easier to apply in Thailand, but it seems the marriage certificates (nz) which they recognize here may be a problem when applying in Thailand, is that the case??.

You do not need a medical insurance if applying for a non-o visa based upon marriage. The covid 19 insurance would only need to be valid for the 90 days the non-o visa allows when entering the country. The Thai embassy would accept your NZ marriage certificate.

To apply for a one year extension based upon marriage at you would need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

You will need your NZ marriage certificate legalized. Info for the legalization of NZ document is here on the Thai embassy website in English and Thai. https://wellington.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/legalising-new-zealand-documents?page=5d75fe3d15e39c06b80067a5&menu=5d75fe3d15e39c06b80067a6

Then after arriving here it would have to be translated to Thai and certified by Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need a medical insurance if applying for a non-o visa based upon marriage. The covid 19 insurance would only need to be valid for the 90 days the non-o visa allows when entering the country. The Thai embassy would accept your NZ marriage certificate.

To apply for a one year extension based upon marriage at you would need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

You will need your NZ marriage certificate legalized. Info for the legalization of NZ document is here on the Thai embassy website in English and Thai. https://wellington.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/legalising-new-zealand-documents?page=5d75fe3d15e39c06b80067a5&menu=5d75fe3d15e39c06b80067a6

Then after arriving here it would have to be translated to Thai and certified by Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

Thanks again Joe , will get that all done b4 I return but when is still a big question for most expats waiting to return.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:37 AM, aussiexpat said:

(3) apply for non-imm O visa - 90 days - 2000 baht

(4) deposit 800k in bank for minimum 60 days [400k if for marriage]

(5) apply for extension based on retirement [marriage] - 1900 baht - 12 months

As for the marriage part. The big difference between Aus and Thai marriage is that in a Thai marriage any assets owned before marriage stay the property of groom/bride in case of divorce (Aus marriage each can get half of all assets)

Have I got this right? if someone with assets, bank account, car, personal things etc, marries an Australian woman then gets divorced, the Australian woman gets half of the possessions he had before the Marriage?

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Australian woman gets half of the possessions he had before the Marriage?

Couldn't be further from correct.

So that's not the case. It's not a 50/50 split..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Whether in Australia, a man can lose half of the possessions he had before marriage to his wife if he and his wife divorce.

All of topic.

It's very complicated and takes into account many things such as future earning potential of each party, length of marriage etc etc.

The list is LONG. 

• Thanks 1